MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new mp9 last night, and after cleaning it, I saw that the front site was sliding around in its groove.. It's not falling out yet, but pretty close, and I doubt it would stand up to the pressures of recoil. I talked to S&W, who gave me some advice, then hooked me onto a local warranty office. I called them and they'd fix it, but I had to pay shipping. Err what? I've heard that everyone who has had work done on their guns had shipping paid. I guess I'm unlucky again.
Anyhow, I'm taking back to the shop I bought it. They have a gunsmith on Saturdays, and told me it's an easy fix.

The good news is that it's easy for me to take down, clean, lube and put back together, so that's something I guess. The sear is not a really big deal to manipulate IMO.

If anyone has any suggestions on how i'd fix this myself, please let me know. Thanks.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The free shipping through Smith that you always here about is through their customer repair center. If you want to send it in to them just give Smith a call and tell them about your problem and that you want them to check it out. They will then email the info. or send you a prepaid shipping label via mail, depending on your preference. Then you just call or go to FedEx and your all set. They usually get it back to you inside of about a week with a free mag.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I may just run over to the shop I bought it from on Saturday and let them fix it. I've been looking forward to shooting it this weekend, and if they can fix it in the morning, I can be at the range by the afternoon. Although a free mag is tempting....

BTW, is this a common problem with the M&P's dovetail sight in front? I sure hope they iron this out, because otherwise the gun feels tip-top.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That problem has definitely come up before but I'm not sure how common it really is. Of the 3 M&Ps I've had all of the sights have been cemented in place. Hopefully it's just a fluke.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I have heard of maybe 4 that had this happen.

Easy fix, pull site and hit the Bottom of the dovetail on the slide with a punch to mushroom out some metal, reinstall with red locktite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts