MP-Pistol Forum banner

Loosen a Leather Holster?

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  moshooter 
#1 ·
I recently just got a hume IWB leather holster. Problem is that it fits so good on my M&P that I can't get it out unless using two hands and it even forces the slide back when reholstering. Is there a way for me to loosen up the leather to make this a reliable carry holster without loosing it's retention properties? Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
Do the plastic bag thing as Mr. Burwell recommends. If you mess with a leather holster (oils, softeners, etc.) you can mess up its retention and you'll get less life of out it.

Here's what some holster manufacturers have to say about it:

Galco said:
Galco leather holsters are… precision molded to specific firearms. It may appear the holster fit is too tight at first, but this is by design. We engineer our holsters to fit tightly knowing the leather fibers will relax to the proper fit with use…

…If the fit is too tight when holstering your firearm the first time don’t force it. If you do force it, it may be difficult to remove the firearm. Spend a few minutes preparing the leather pocket. (Similar to a new baseball glove or pair of leather shoes, it needs to be broken in. However, the break-in techniques are different.) Using your hands only - no tools, no oils, no chemicals, etc. - relax the seamed edges by gently flexing the holster in all directions repeatedly. This does not mean severely folding, bending or smashing the leather. Once the body of the holster starts to feel less rigid, it is time to insert and remove your completely unloaded firearm from the holster multiple times to create the perfect, long-term fit.

After using the above break-in techniques, if your holster is too tight for your preference, you may want to try Galco Draw-EZ. It is applied to the inside of your leather holster to shorten the break-in period and to provide a slicker draw.

High Noon Holsters said:
We build our holsters for a snug fit. It may appear the holster fit is too tight at first but this is by design. Tightness in a new holster is not uncommon and is much preferable to the alternative. If the draw is a little stiff at first, it is recommended that you work with it to see if it doesn't loosen up with a bit of use. About 25 to 35 draws should be a good indicator of whether the holster will break in on its own.

There are many reasons as to why a holster would be excessively tight ranging from the texture of your guns finish, minute variations in the hand stitching process, to slight changes in climate or humidity from where the holster is made. Regardless of the reason, a too tight holster can easily be remedied by the end user. Generally leather will stretch slightly with use. A break-in period may be needed, similar to a new pair of leather shoes.

Milt Sparks said:
Tightness in a new holster is not uncommon and is much preferable to the alternative. If the draw is a little stiff at first, it is recommended that you work with it to see if it doesn't loosen up with a bit of use. About 25 to 50 presentations should be a good indicator of whether the holster will break in sufficiently on its own or if maybe a little blocking out of the leather is in order. There are many variables as to why a holster would be excessively tight ranging from the texture of your guns finish, to slight changes in climate or humidity from where the holster is made. Regardless of the reason, a too tight holster can easily be remedied by the end user with a method we have been recommending to customers for over 20 years…

…place the gun into the 4 mil plastic bag that your new holster was packaged in. Then carefully insert the bagged gun all the way into the holster (do not! I repeat, do not!! wet or spray the holster with any solution to aid in the stretching process). The blocking out process as described above will in no way harm the crisp detailed molding of your new holster, nor will it ruin its retention qualities. It serves simply to stretch the leather a few thousands of an inch larger than the gun. The amount of stretching time needed for satisfactory results range from a just a few minutes to overnight.

Kramer Leather said:
we prefer to have our holsters start out on the snug fitting side. Should it be necessary to loosen your holster, take the plastic bag that the holster cam in and wrap it around the gun. Insert the UNLOADED gun into the holster and let it set for several hours. This will stretch the leather approximately two or three thousandths of an inch. If necessary, wrap the gun with two bags. You can use up to three bags to stretch the holster. If this is still not successful, give us a call and we will be happy to adjust the fit for you.

#6 ·
I've got a Galco Concealable holster I purchased for a Colt Commander. Following Galco's instructions that said drawing would loosen it up, just leaving it in the holster would do nothing, I began to holster and draw the weapon again and again. The Commander had the older 1991 parkerized finish. After about the 10th draw it looked like I was seeing finish wear. Wasn't sure. By the twentieth time I was starting to see bare metal on the high points of the slide.

I wish I'd have tried the plastic bag trick first. I'd have been crushed if I'd marred the finish on my beautifully blued Gold Cup!

I know this is an MP forum, but thought the holster experience was relevant. I don't mind some holster wear eventually, but I hate to see it disappear during the break in period.

#8 ·
Patients brother, patients...

#11 ·
Dakotaman,

Wrap a sheet of kitchen wax paper around the gun and insert into the holster. Then remove gun and insert it again, repeat a few times. It it still feels too tight, try again with two or more pieces of wax paper until you are satisfied with the fit and draw. Let it sit for a few hours. Then check it for fit

and ease of draw. If you are still having problems...call the manufacturer and/or return to dealer.

A properly fitted holster should be SNUG when new but what you are experiencing is in no way correct. 8)

2cam2go

www.sunriseleather.com

#12 ·
I did the wax paper trick on my Don Hume Agent 711 and it worked great. Do not use too much as it will over stretch. Its like adding hot sauce to chili, a little at a time. You can always add more, but you cannot take it out if you make a mistake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.