MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 9C today and put about 200 rounds through it, so far so good. Need to adjust the sights a little, didn't get into that much today, probably the next range trip I'll get into setting the sights. Now to give her a good clean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh, I suck. 25 yards, lethal for sure, but I need to up the ante. Hahaha. I'm kinda all over the place, was trying to figure out if it was me or my sights, probably me, but after a few mags I could start to see a little more consistency in me being a little up and to the right. Proof that I'm way rusty with pistols, been a LONG time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i'd say that's some pretty good grouping for 25 yards with a compact! I wouldn't want to face you in a shootout!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'd say that's good for some people at 25 FEET!
Nice gun btw.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Love the gun, buddy of mine and myself headed to the range tonight to have our own little shoot-out. We went through 100 rounds in about half an hour. I'm planning on doing 200 rounds a week until I get pretty consistent, hopefully the practice will get me where I want to be.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm contemplating reloading. I figure to setup 1,000 rounds, with the cost of cases, it will cost me about the same as it would to buy 1,000 rounds of cheap Winchester white box FMJ's. But, the cases are pretty expensive, how many times can I use the brass before they become inoperable? At the range I've been going to, nobody cleans up their casings, so getting mine back after going through a few hundred rounds would be somewhat of a challenge, I guess I could sweep up everything and throw away casings that aren't mine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why would you throw away cases that aren't yours? Keep them all. Inspect them for signs of wear or damage, and load all of them. That way, your brass is largely free, and you just have to buy primers, powder and bullets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most guys up there aren't shooting 9mm, some are, but there was a guy going completely balls out with a .44 mangum last night. In an indoor range that's only about 55 yards long and 8 lanes wide, that thing was LOUD. hahaha. I guess if I swept them all up, throw away sizes that I couldn't use. Is reloading cases from cheap rounds recommended?

·
Registered
129 Posts
You could always keep the brass from the calibers you don't shoot, and when you get enough of them, sell them to fund the purchase of stuff you want/need. Most brass is good, reloadable stuff, even if its from "cheap" or "bargain" ammo. The only brass I won't keep is "AMERC", but pretty much anything else is pretty good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You could always keep the brass from the calibers you don't shoot, and when you get enough of them, sell them to fund the purchase of stuff you want/need. Most brass is good, reloadable stuff, even if its from "cheap" or "bargain" ammo. The only brass I won't keep is "AMERC", but pretty much anything else is pretty good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotcha. I thought I had once been told only to buy good, bulk brass to reload, maybe I misunderstood or was being lied to. Will definately collect my casings on the next trip to the range even with my cheap Winchester rounds. That would definately lighten the cost, I was planning on buying 1,000 rounds of bulk brass to get started, but now I think I should just buy 1,000 rounds of factory stuff, shoot it, and reload those casings.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I belong to a private pistol club - and any brass left on a line is open to scavenging by me. We have LEO that come there to practice - loves me some once fired police brass! Here's my costs as posted on GlockTalk:

.005 $50 1000 once fired 9mm brass (assuming 10 reload life)

.038 $38 1000 Kead 125gr 9mm RN

.029 $22 Universal powder (approx 750 rounds/# @ 3.9gr)

.021 $21 1000 Winchester sm pistol primers

=================================================

.093 per round, $93 case

WWB = $9/50, $180 case

Primers just went up here, about $3/1000. I assume 10 reloads for costing, but I load em until they exhibit signs of wear: excessive bulging of case, deformation of the case mouth or primer pocket being the main ones. If I cannot get enough brass from scavenging, then I'll just grab some from gun show - I offer around $50/1000. Worst case order from http://www.brassmanbrass.com.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts