MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to concealed carry and I am not sure if I made the right decision on my choice of a carry piece. I went with a 9mm full size and I love the way it shoots. I figured when I bought this the 10 round mags that came with it were standard because of the laws in this state. I was told by the shop I bought this from that he requested for me to get the 17 round mags because I have a class A large capacity LTC. I just found out today because I stopped by the shop again that he was just trying to get me high caps and that they were not guaranteed to come. I guess I miss understood him the day I bought the gun. From what I read online being in MA I can not carry any mag bigger than 10 rounds unless it was made before 1998. So that being said I don't know if I feel like 10+1 in my 9mm is enough and I don't want to be weighed down with extra mags. So the guy I talk to at the shop showed me some pre-ban Glocks that he has. I held them and they definitely don't feel like the M&P'S. but they do have much lower trigger pull and higher capacity. I guess I need a gun that was made before 1998 what would you guys do in my situation. I really hate MA gun laws......

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Only you will know what is comfortable and what your life depends on someone has to have glocks at the range ask if you can shoot some of his and likewise...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ducttape4all said:
what would you guys do in my situation.

I'd create a user account on monster.com, find a new job, and relocate to one of the free states. Seriously though.... I'd either stick to the M&P, or if you don't feel confident with 10+1 of 9mm, I'd buy a Glock 30 or a Taurus PT-145 which is about the same size as a baby Glock but holds 10+1 of .45 ACP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you can't hit something with 10+1, the extra 7 rounds are not going to help. Spend the money one a handgun class or range time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i'd say move down here to Connecticut. maybe you wouldn't even need to find a new job (just have a longer commute) we have some crazy laws but we're no where near as bad as Mass.

How'd you even manage to get a permit to carry in Massachusetts anyway?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't think buying a pre-1998 pistol is the answer. Stick with what you have or trade in your 9mm M&P for a .45 M&P with 10 round capacity. more rounds are not a bad thing but 10 should be enough. Nothing wrong with Glocks btw but buying a pre-1998 pistol seems pretty extreme to me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ducttape4all said:
what would you guys do in my situation

if i were that avatar i wont need a firearm. :wink:

·
Registered
498 Posts
In a state where you can't carry full cap mags, there is no reason to buy a full sized pistols. Especially since it's for concealed carry. I personally would have gotten an M&P Compact. I don't like the grip angle on glocks, very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I find the compact M&P's to have too short a grip for effective use. The Glock 19 and 23 are fine though. YMMV according to hand size.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The M&P .45 is not legal in MA and I don't like the compact it's too small for my hand. I live 15 min from the NH border I should just move. I believe I got my class A because I live in a small town and I had a letter of support from the director of homeland security who happens to be good friends with my father. I'm getting a job in the Ma dept of corrections and they tell me I still can not carry any new high caps because the ATF says that corrections is not LE. But I have to intervene in any felony I see taking place. I will have to go to the range and spend more money renting out some other options.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm glad I live in Texas where it is legal to carry rifles and shotguns in the open... it amazes me some of these states even have these asinine laws.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I see nothing wrong with 10+1!! Many people carry a 6 shot revolver everyday, you have almost double the rounds!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
We can open carry pistols in Arizona. You only need a license for concealed carry here. Surprised Texas doesn't allow that since I thought their laws were even more liberal than ours.

Grimwulff said:
I'm glad I live in Texas where it is legal to carry rifles and shotguns in the open... it amazes me some of these states even have these asinine laws.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Steelshooter said:
We can open carry pistols in Arizona. You only need a license for concealed carry here. Surprised Texas doesn't allow that since I thought their laws were even more liberal than ours.

[quote name='Grimwulff']I'm glad I live in Texas where it is legal to carry rifles and shotguns in the open... it amazes me some of these states even have these asinine laws.
[/quote]

not to hijack this thread but I recently learned that, here in Connecticut, the law doesn't say ANYTHING about having to conceal your weapon. My permit even says "State Pistol to Carry Pistols and Revolvers" - doesn't say anything about CCW. Of course, if you so much as show a little print through your shirt and someone calls the cops you'll get arrested for breach of peace.

something tells me that, even in Arizona, you can't walk the streets with open carry and not expect to get a negative reaction.

·
Registered
154 Posts
back to the topic at hand.

you have a class A license, so you CAN have a large capacity handgun

see: http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/structure.pdf

if the issue was just that the dealer didn't get them for you, why not just drive to New Hampshire and buy the larger magazine?

also, where does it say that you can't have a .45 in mass? that doesn't sound right and i can't find any references to that anywhere. maybe you read something about bores larger then .45 being concidered assalt weapons? maybe? I dunno.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Depends on where you are at. If you are in downtown Phoenix that is probably true. But it is legal.

micah said:
something tells me that, even in Arizona, you can't walk the streets with open carry and not expect to get a negative reaction.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Before you make a decision on getting rid of your M&P9 and going to another manufacturer or caliber, it might be worthwhile to do some more research on Mass. firearms statutes.

Chapter 140 seems to allow holders of a Class A license to carry large capacity handguns:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

Chapter 140: Section 131. Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions

Section 131. All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and possession of any such license shall be subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons....

As to the question of 45 caliber, the 8/07 Approved Firearms Roster has all kinds of approved 45's, just not the M&P 45.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firear...ter_08_2007.pdf

Since the S&W SW99 .45 is approved, I'm guessing that the M&P 45 is new enough that it hasn't gone through the state testing in time to get on the 08/07 list.

Of course, all of this is just conjecture from a quick reading of Mass. statutes (that's a polite way of saying that I might not know my a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to reading this stuff), so I'd suggest calling your licensing authority and asking them your specific questions. You'll be able to make a more informed decision on something as important as a carry weapon. Good luck.

Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts