MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went shooting this weekend and my M&P .40 is shooting low and to the Left. I'm bringing it to my dealer and have him shoot it himself personally, since he shoots in competitions. I'm thinking it's the sights because i also took my sig pro 2340 to the range and shot 3 inch groups at 15yds as usual. Besides that i love everything about it except that funny trigger design.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
CJD said:
my M&P .40 is shooting low and to the Left.
Correction: YOU are shooting low and to the left.

Your Sig has a very different trigger. Once you get some more trigger time with the M&P your groups will tighten up. I could be wrong, but there is a 99.9% chance I am right.

·
Registered
171 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='CJD']my M&P .40 is shooting low and to the Left.
Correction: YOU are shooting low and to the left.

Your Sig has a very different trigger. Once you get some more trigger time with the M&P your groups will tighten up. I could be wrong, but there is a 99.9% chance I am right.[/quote]

+1.

Many other possible reasons too, one could be trigger torque. Have you considered your grip, having the left thumb block the slide to control trigger torque (note though not to push the slide).

Another may be the 'critty or snappy' trigger? Dry firing would surely help improve pulling it straight towards the back. Just my .02

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Yep, many possible contributing factors and solutions. Jerking trigger, anticipating recoil, etc. Working on a smooth isolated trigger press, your grip, dry-fire practice, and snap caps loaded with ammo may all help.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Shooting low and left is almost always a trigger control issue caused by anticipating the shot and/or jerking the trigger. Pull the trigger straight back slowly, focus on the front sight and when the pistol goes off it should be a surprise to you. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It could also be milking the grip.

The M&P has a very oval shaped cross section, especially near the bottom. This tends to punish you more for milking the grip than a grip with a a more square (at least at the front) grip cross section.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I KNOW my low and left is jerking the trigger. When i slow down my POI is correct. Question related to this: would a basic Burwell trigger job help me with that some? Would reducing the amount of take-up and slightly lighter break reduce that?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
I KNOW my low and left is jerking the trigger. When i slow down my POI is correct. Question related to this: would a basic Burwell trigger job help me with that some? Would reducing the amount of take-up and slightly lighter break reduce that?
You can still jerk the trigger with a trigger job and miss. However it will still probably help. Some guys are trigger job junkies and never learn proper trigger control. The best would be to learn proper trigger control and that trigger control can be carried over to other pistols. If you learned proper trigger control and then still got a trigger job, it can only make it sweeter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1 on checking yourself, first. I'd have sworn mine was shooting low and left. Even went so far as to call CS and look into a repair. Then I thought I'd give it some time. Went through another 400 rounds before the POI started migrating and the low+left went away. My groups are still on the big side, but around the center at least. Give it some time.

I'm glad someone mentioned the ergonomics as being related to the low+left phenomenon. It's my theory also that it sort of is the gun, but not in the sense that the gun is defective or faulty. What I'm thinking is that the unique ergonomic formula of grip angle, bore axis, grip/frame dimension, etc., etc. for this gun, plus the common physiology of the human body creates a potential to shoot low+left. It's a potential that can be overcome with practice and training, but nonetheless, I think all the factors add up to create this low+left tendency in so many people, myself included at first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Low & left

Thanks all for your input on my post. I'll post back after I have my dealer shoot with me to determine if it's me.I'll also plan on putting on a bench rest.

·
Registered
49 Posts
CJD said:
I went shooting this weekend and my M&P .40 is shooting low and to the Left. I'm bringing it to my dealer and have him shoot it himself personally, since he shoots in competitions. I'm thinking it's the sights because i also took my sig pro 2340 to the range and shot 3 inch groups at 15yds as usual. Besides that i love everything about it except that funny trigger design.

I'm also shooting low and to the left. I need to make sure it's not the gun befor I send it in. I'm also thinking about getting the new adjustable Novak sights when they come out. They emailed me adn said the sights should be on the market in a month.

·
Registered
122 Posts
CJ

Try dry firing the gun with the different

grip sizes. I was shooting mine with the medium

grips and the gun felt really fine, but when I dry

fired it a lot it pulled to the right. I changed to

the largest grip insert and it doesn't do it anymore.

Zeke

·
Registered
172 Posts
Although low-left is probably the shooter, it is not the hard and fast rule some posters seem to think. I spent 1500 rounds trying to correct shooter problems with my M&P, because all the experts know it's the shooter. Funny thing, nothing else I had shot low and left and I could pick up pistols I never fired and not shoot low and left. After going through months of shooting, dry firing and generally getting disgusted with the pistol, I sent it back to S&W. When it returned, it didn't shoot low and left.

It is not always the shooter, guys. Sometimes it is the pistol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts