MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a M&P 9mm two Christmas' ago for my son. It's been a safe queen all that time, because it shoots 5 inches low at 50'. We've tried every 147grain ammo out there (the lighter bullets shoot even lower). We've put maybe 1,200 rounds through it in our ammo search. Everyone who shoots the pistol finds it shoots low.



When I first bought the pistol, I went online and there were many people with the same problem. Has S&W or an aftermarket supplier come out with a new lower front sight yet? Seems like accessories have been slow in coming for this model. I did install a Burwell rear sight, which is great, but the same height as the factory rear.



We both really love the feel of the gun which is why we haven't sold it. Any lower front sights out there?



Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
I'm sorry for sounding a little sarcastic, but did you ever even bother to call Smith & Wesson about it?

Or do you just pass it around to other people to try it, receive the same results, and then stand around and complain about it?



If you don't give the manufacturer a chance to make it right, then you don't have much grounds to talk down about it. Not that you're bashing it... that's not what I'm getting at. But you're trying to make it seem like an inferior weapon, and many on here with dispute that vehemently.



Call S&W and ask them to look it over. Its either a manufacturing defect, or you aren't holding it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Look at the website below. They will tailor the front sight to your needs. Look at the Speed Shooter Specialties Front Sight in Plain or Fiber Optic.



http://tinyurl.com/2gbr7m
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
I know it seems odd that you've passed it around, and everyone shoots low... BUT...



I was convinced that my full size .40 was a low shooter, probably around 5" like you said. then i bought the .45



Oddly enough, the new .45 has the exact same problem!!!!



It's obviously something in how i'm holding it. I'd almost be willing to guess that it's the same problem with yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
It does seem odd that everyone else that has shot it has had the same issue.

I really think contacting S&W first is the right thing to do. You have to give them a chance to make it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
f-bomb said:
I know it seems odd that you've passed it around, and everyone shoots low... BUT...



I was convinced that my full size .40 was a low shooter, probably around 5" like you said. then i bought the .45



Oddly enough, the new .45 has the exact same problem!!!!



It's obviously something in how i'm holding it. I'd almost be willing to guess that it's the same problem with yours.


He should contact Smith & Wesson before he does anything else to it. Who knows? They may be able to correct the problem themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slick26 said:
I'm sorry for sounding a little sarcastic, but did you ever even bother to call Smith & Wesson about it?

Or do you just pass it around to other people to try it, receive the same results, and then stand around and complain about it?



If you don't give the manufacturer a chance to make it right, then you don't have much grounds to talk down about it. Not that you're bashing it... that's not what I'm getting at. But you're trying to make it seem like an inferior weapon, and many on here with dispute that vehemently.



Call S&W and ask them to look it over. Its either a manufacturing defect, or you aren't holding it right.


No, I didn't call Smith and Wesson because the fix for a low shooter is a lower front sight or a taller rear sight. This isn't rocket science, and I don't expect S&W to help me. This is pretty common with fixed sight guns. I suppose I could be holding it wrong, although I have owned dozens of handguns over the years and managed to get them all sighted in except this one. Perhaps I am holding it upside down? Maybe the experienced shooters I had try it were all holding it wrong too. These are all 1911 and Glock shooters so it may be none of us have figured out the secret method. Please share your shooting grip secret with me.



I have said nothing derogatory about S&W or the M&P other than this one shoots low, and I never said it was inferior. Before I mill down the front sight, I was just double checking if someone makes a lower one. I'm lazy and I have sight pushers, and it would easiest to put a shorter front sight on.



I apologize to everyone who was offended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
gspam1 said:
I bought a M&P 9mm two Christmas' ago for my son. It's been a safe queen all that time, because it shoots 5 inches low at 50'. We've tried every 147grain ammo out there (the lighter bullets shoot even lower). We've put maybe 1,200 rounds through it in our ammo search. Everyone who shoots the pistol finds it shoots low.



When I first bought the pistol, I went online and there were many people with the same problem. Has S&W or an aftermarket supplier come out with a new lower front sight yet? Seems like accessories have been slow in coming for this model. I did install a Burwell rear sight, which is great, but the same height as the factory rear.



We both really love the feel of the gun which is why we haven't sold it. Any lower front sights out there?



Thanks!




Try www.novaksights.com they have different height front sights for the M&P. They also said they will have an adjustable rear sight in the near future for the M&P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
My 9 shoots low too

I have an M&P9 I purchased about a month ago. I have mostly been shooting at milk jugs behind my garage just for the pleasure of shooting it but recently I tried a target at the range. I found that at 20 feet I shoot about 2-3 inches low. I get good groups but they are low. I have been dry firing a bit and am able to keep the sights from dipping, but still it shoots low. I find that rather than line up the dots on the sights and put the intended target right on top of them I need to cover the target with the muzzle. This isn't too bad considering I want this for carry and I can hit center mass at 20 feet all day long, but I would kind of like to be able to try IDPA shooting someday with this gun!



Essentially, I'm agreeing with you gspam AND looking for the same advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
The M&P seems to be very sensetive to jerking the trigger... I noticed this when shooting mine for the first time, shooting about 4" low at 25yd. I was using the small backstrap. When I changed the backstrap to the large one, my groups and POI improved dramatically, I think because the increased trigger reach forced me to use the tip of my finger, and pull straighter as a result. It might be worth a try... but ultimately, getting used to the trigger is the best solution.



From a rest, the gun shoots dead-on to a 6 o'clock POA... the low shooting seems to be a software problem, not a hardware problem. I'm still getting used to mine, off-hand.



And yes, lighter bullets will generally shoot lower at 10-25yd range than heavier ones, because the bullet leaves the barrel earlier in the recoil/barrel-unlocking transition, while the tilt is less severe. This is more pronounced in shorter barrelled locked-breech pistols.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
molonlabetn said:
From a rest, the gun shoots dead-on to a 6 o'clock POA... the low shooting seems to be a software problem, not a hardware problem. I'm still getting used to mine, off-hand.


From a rest, mine still shoots low. I'm curious that yours shoots high? Most combat pistols are sighted to shoot to point of aim. If you're aiming at 6 o'clock and hitting the center of the bullseye that is a classic target pistol sighting.



How tall is your front sight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
the majority of M&Ps that I test fire shoot 1-2 in high at 10yds. I will second what others have said here if your gun is shooting that low send it back to S&W, they will make it right no charge to you.



Please don't take this personally as I am not directing this at you, but the M&P with the amount of over travel in the stock trigger really lends itself to the trigger jerk and the low shooting that is often reported.



Also the shorter front sight may not ba a good idea as the front sights are already pretty short, send me an email or a pm and we may be able to discuss some other options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
gspam1 said:
[quote name='molonlabetn']

From a rest, the gun shoots dead-on to a 6 o'clock POA... the low shooting seems to be a software problem, not a hardware problem. I'm still getting used to mine, off-hand.


From a rest, mine still shoots low. I'm curious that yours shoots high? Most combat pistols are sighted to shoot to point of aim. If you're aiming at 6 o'clock and hitting the center of the bullseye that is a classic target pistol sighting.



How tall is your front sight?[/quote]



I meant to say 'center-hold'... I'm used to shooting my XD with a 6 o'clock sight picture, and the M&P shoots low using the 6 o'clock picture, but dead-on using the center-hold method.



I should have proof-read my statement, good catch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dan Burwell said:
the majority of M&Ps that I test fire shoot 1-2 in high at 10yds. I will second what others have said here if your gun is shooting that low send it back to S&W, they will make it right no charge to you.



Please don't take this personally as I am not directing this at you, but the M&P with the amount of over travel in the stock trigger really lends itself to the trigger jerk and the low shooting that is often reported.



Also the shorter front sight may not ba a good idea as the front sights are already pretty short, send me an email or a pm and we may be able to discuss some other options.


No offense taken and I appreciate the help Dan. I really like your rear sight too! I understand exactly what you're saying about the trigger pull but I've shot it clamped in a rest too with the same result. I shoot double-action revolvers quite a bit, so I am used to dealing with long trigger pulls. The M&P does have quite a bit of creep as you say.



I haven't sent it back to S&W because there is no guarantee they'll fix it and Next Day Air shipping will cost about as much as a new sight. Lots easier to put a new sight on then package and ship it.



I called Novak and they don't carry a lower front. I talked to a great guy at Shooter Specialites today that gring recommended, and ordered a shorter and thinner front sight today. The older I get, the more light I like around the front sight so this will kill two birds with one stone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,984 Posts
You do not have to front shipping cost. S&W will mail you a pre-paid UPS shipping lable and all you need to do is package it and call UPS for a pickup.



To cause this to happen you must call them. They can't do it if they don't know you have a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
You don't have to mail S&W anything. Go to their website, find the email link to customer service and send them an email describing your problem. You will get, by return email, instructions on shipping the pistol to S&W with the FEDEX codes to bill S&W. S&W will return the pistol via prepaid UPS (at least that's whom they use in VA). If you email them with a problem, they almost automatically respond with instructions to return it to them. I did that, shipped the pistol on a Wednesday and had it back the following Wednesday.



An extremely high percentage of the "low" and "low-left" problems are shooter problems. Some of them seem to come with a bit of a sight or other problem. The front sight on my M&P9 was a smidge to the right of center and it shot left with the distance left increasing with range. It also shot low, with the distance low increasing with range. It shot reasonably tight groups until I started trying to adjust the sight picture to correct. Nothing else I fired did that. I spent 1500 rounds fixing "shooter problems" until I got disgusted and sent the pistol back to S&W. It returned shooting where it should. Unfortunately, by then I was so fed up with the pistol, my accuracy was terrible. I put it down for a couple of months and learned to shoot it all over again. Now it seems that both the pistol and the shooter have solved their problems. The pistol may be a bit ahead of the shooter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
greener:



Great post. What did they do to the pistol to correct the low-left problem? Can you tell if they changed the front sight?



Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
they centered the sight. I think the front sight is lower, but I didn't have anything to measure that finely at the time and I haven't checked it against another M&P. For all I know, they moved the sight and low was me. The end result was that it shot POI when it returned.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top