MP-Pistol Forum banner

281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Scott -- I know there have been plenty of M&P40's that have surpassed the 20k mark. Beyond that, I have no information.

The M&P, unlike the Glock, was designed from day one to be a .40 ... in fact, the .40-cal version was released before the 9mm version. But, .40-cal ammunition creates more recoil energy and has to put more stress on the gun. How much? I don't know.

Very, very few people ever shoot their guns to the point of failure. If you do get there, you're spending so much money on ammo that the cost of a replacement gun won't even be a blip on your screen.

Hey ToddG...I would guess someone is sponsoring your ammo. Or your spending quite of bit of money

·
Registered
43 Posts
David -- My agreement with Smith is that I can't get into details of their recommended service schedule. But fwiw, I'm using the same "plan" they give to military customers who are planning a 50k service life.

I've got absolutely no idea how the PC sear differs from the standard one from a design/mechanics standpoint. I've never seen one out of a gun before.

Hello Todd,

I find this a bit odd or maybe I'm misunderstanding this. Smith doesnt want owners of their product to know the recommended service schedule???

Edit:

I did read further and you mention some scheduled items...I guess I'm just confused...

·
Registered
12 Posts

Started the 50,000-round, 6-month test today. A whopping 265 rounds without a stoppage, 200 124gr +p HST followed by 65 WWB. Whoo-hoo! Just 49,735 to go!

The gun:
  • S&W M&P9 full size, serial number MFP3xxx
  • mag disconnect (installed after receipt); no internal lock
  • Trijicon night sights (intend to replace with Warren when their night sights arrive)
  • three new improved 17rd magazines (more corrosion-resistant finish)
  • Crimson Trace Lasergrips
  • MA-compliant 10# trigger group 'smithed down to 6#

The gun actually arrived with the new lanyard loop grip tool for some reason. I didn't want or need it, so I gave it to one of the local S&W reps in exchange for a standard one. I know, I should have taken some photos first. Lame of me.

I'll be updating this thread regularly as milestones are reached.

I remember this torture test. Its one of the biggest reasons I purchased an M&P. The fact it made it to 60k rounds (I believe thats what it was about) and till fired with a cracked slide is pretty good in my book. Having a lifetime warranty to cover a pistol with that many rounds...priceless!

·
Registered
19 Posts
wow!

new to the site and S&W pistols but I feel really good about my M&P purchase after reading about this torture test. 62k rounds and almost 10k between cleanings. incredible. mkese me real glad I opted for the M&P over the new E series 1911 which has had nothing but problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I remember this torture test. Its one of the biggest reasons I purchased an M&P. The fact it made it to 60k rounds (I believe thats what it was about) and till fired with a cracked slide is pretty good in my book. Having a lifetime warranty to cover a pistol with that many rounds...priceless!

I have had mine for little over a month now.....1100 rounds through it...including 220 rounds in one setting. But I do clean it after every time out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is an incredible test. The pistol is very reliable. The good accuracy speaks for itself.

Did you use a magazine loader and how many magazines did you have?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tell people that the 9 will shoot a flaming pooh. I have never had a round that failed to load and fire.....from 1.100 to 1.165 OAL RN FP does not matter. It just works. I have close to 10k rounds or more, in my 9 pro in 3 months and she just keeps on shooting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had long suspected this, usually compact firearms have more problems that full-size ones(tighter tolerances). 62,300 rounds without any malfunctions is over ten times the 6,000 round 1911 torture test. I fully recommend the 'full size S&W M&P 9 pistol' to anybody seeking a quality, affordable 9mm handgun.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Damn fine gun! My old Smith and Wesson model 4506 will feed EMPTY brass without a hitch.The M&P is everything I hoped for,and I have no doubts about it in any situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back in 2012 when I got back from a deployment, the first thing I did was go to gun store and buy an m&p9 pro 4.5 ns. And two spare mags. I ordered a ted blocker DA2 iwb cow hide holster and CTC grips. The best I did to it was apex TAC dcaek and ram.....any way. I put about 11,000 RDS downrange with that guns with not one hiccup or bobble of any kindate everything I fed it. I even opened the action and put a bunch of mud w no rocks in it cycled it 3 or 4 times and threw it in a puddle pulled it out and fired 17 shots as if it was clean. NO DOUBT the most reliable handgun I ever purchased. The mud and water caused no issues it fired underwater even. Now I got a m&p 40 fs. Waiting to be cerakoted.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You have long ways to go but you will have a lot of fun doing it, please keep us updated.
Note; This thread is 7 years old and the gun passed beautifully.
My M&P's are just as old and are just as reliable.
Todd Greene went on to test 3 or 4 other pistols the same way.
See 'PISTOL TRANING .com" (not a link)

281 - 300 of 300 Posts