MP-Pistol Forum banner

M&9 Torture Test, take 2

129K views 304 replies 78 participants last post by  STEEL CORE 
#1 ·

Started the 50,000-round, 6-month test today. A whopping 265 rounds without a stoppage, 200 124gr +p HST followed by 65 WWB. Whoo-hoo! Just 49,735 to go!

The gun:
  • S&W M&P9 full size, serial number MFP3xxx
  • mag disconnect (installed after receipt); no internal lock
  • Trijicon night sights (intend to replace with Warren when their night sights arrive)
  • three new improved 17rd magazines (more corrosion-resistant finish)
  • Crimson Trace Lasergrips
  • MA-compliant 10# trigger group 'smithed down to 6#

The gun actually arrived with the new lanyard loop grip tool for some reason. I didn't want or need it, so I gave it to one of the local S&W reps in exchange for a standard one. I know, I should have taken some photos first. Lame of me.

I'll be updating this thread regularly as milestones are reached.

See less See more
#5 ·
Here we go again..... Its hard , painfull work Todd...but we all know you're doing this with a purely scientific approach. Seriously....thanks for doing this again....its gonna be cool to see how it goes this time...........poor gun.

#7 ·
you really do like the mag disconnects don't you? (insert insult here
) but no internal lock? hmmmmm

OK enough smartass stuff, one thing I do find strange is that you did a trigger job to it. why not do a torture test on a truly stock component? I know the trigger job is a minor thing. But if somewhere down the line you end up with a malf, that could be associated with those 'smithed' parts, it kinda derails the test doesn't it?

but I am still quite excited to see the results of this test, especially since I've seen a local M&P have some issues (detailed in a different thread) and a friends .40 back east (Ontario) being a complete dog and not working worth a damn at all with factory ammo.

edited to add, my buds gun back east is a 9mm and will not work reliabliy with factory 147gr stuff.

#8 ·
you really do like the mag disconnects don't you? (insert insult here
) but no internal lock? hmmmmm

OK enough smartass stuff, one thing I do find strange is that you did a trigger job to it. why not do a torture test on a truly stock component? I know the trigger job is a minor thing. But if somewhere down the line you end up with a malf, that could be associated with those 'smithed' parts, it kinda derails the test doesn't it?

but I am still quite excited to see the results of this test, especially since I've seen a local M&P have some issues (detailed in a different thread) and a friends .40 back east (Ontario) being a complete dog and not working worth a damn at all with factory ammo.

Maybe he was trying to make his MA compliant trigger more representitve of the rest of the "free world" MP's.

#9 ·
Sorry to drift OT so soon, but question about the Warren night sights you have incoming: What's the price and release date? The rear sight has a single dot below the notch, correct?

The Warren night sights for the M&P will most likely come in both a one dot (below the notch) and a two dot (sides of the notch) version. Obviously I have no idea what version Todd plans on using.

#12 ·
chooch -- thanks for helping to keep the thread from getting OT. I'm more responsible than anyone for some of the silliness on the last one, so I promise to be good if everyone else is.

YG -- thanks for the sticky.

Slavex -- You're 100% right that a more fair test would be a completely stock gun. However, since this will be the gun I carry, compete with, teach with, and train with over the next six months it had to meet my needs, too. The guy who did the action job knows what he's doing and we specifically scaled back some of the work so that it would be durable. For example, my reset is a little longer and the weight a little heavier than I probably would have chosen, but the idea is that it should last 50k. If a problem develops, we'll assess and deal with it. This same guy did my first M&P and it had no problems with any of the action parts in the 27k+ I've put through it.

And to everyone else, thanks for the well wishes and encouragement. S&W deserves a lot of credit for helping to make this happen. They knew going in that if I had a problem, it would get reported publicly. Their confidence in the gun and support of the test says a lot about them as a company.

#16 ·
chooch -- thanks for helping to keep the thread from getting OT. I'm more responsible than anyone for some of the silliness on the last one, so I promise to be good if everyone else is.
Hey, its your thread... if you want to derail it, that's your call. I just know you have a short attention span so I didn't want anyone helping to make that happen.

#18 ·
Anyone who can arrange to be on the range at the same time & place as me, and who has demonstrable safety habits, is welcome to put some rounds through the gun ... you just have to promise to use my ammo so I can keep control over the round count and ammo quality.

#19 ·
Anyone who can arrange to be on the range at the same time & place as me, and who has demonstrable safety habits, is welcome to put some rounds through the gun ... you just have to promise to use my ammo so I can keep control over the round count and ammo quality.

Use YOUR ammo?

No hay problema

#21 ·
guess I better work on getting Todd up here for classes so I can dump some ammo through it too!

have you taken a bunch of close up pics of wear points on the gun Todd? places like the feed ramp, slide lock cutout etc, to document any wear in those areas?

this is gonna be a fun one.

#23 ·
I mis-read earlier......I thought that MA had a specific trigger requirement for MP's sold there. Thought you had changed to match all the others....oops.

Seriously though....will you try to perform an "average" maintenance schedule to represent "average" wear and tear??...... Or are you going to try to expedite the demise of the weapon by little to no cleaning??.....AKA a torture test. IOW.....are you wanting to break this thing sooner or later?

#24 ·
I'm thinking about doing something similar with my 40 caliber. Put a lot of rounds through it as fast as I can afford and do cleanings maybe once a month or every 5k rounds. Depends on what I can afford. Wasn't this one free because the last one broke?

#25 ·
200rd of WWB and another 54 of HST last night.

Slavex -- I hadn't really planned to do that, but it makes sense. I want to clean the gun today before doing some real accuracy testing tomorrow, so I'll snap some pics.

Nec -- still no real plan regarding the cleaning cycle. But my goal isn't to ruin or break the gun. I want to do my part, reasonably, to keep the gun running to 50k. I'll be following the normal parts replacement cycle that Smith recommends, etc. Anyone can abuse a gun. The question is whether a properly maintained M&P9 can go 50k rounds, and how does it fair in the process.

#26 ·
Todd,

How can you even do that, shooting so many rounds? It sounds like a real problem and I wouldn't want you to strain yourself! What you really need to do is send me the gun and all 50K rounds so that I can properly dispose of them for you!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.