MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Back when i talked to S&W, they didnt feel there was enough of a market for the 10mm to want to make one in the M&P series. I can`t feel sorry for their loss, other companies are listening to their customer base, and are making them available. I own some 10mm, and its nice to have a semi-auto in the 41 magnum class of power.
I think that it is hilarious that S&W would resurrect an extinct revolver as their 10mm platform.

Who can argue with their logic? A relatively expensive revolver, that shoots a "not so mainstream", semi-auto cartridge, should sell by the tens and tens this year. This means that they wouldn't have to work nearly as hard as if they had introduced a 10mm M&P semi-auto, that would sell in the thousands.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/03/27/smith-wesson-brings-back-10mm-model-610-revolver

How freakin' hard would it be for S&W to introduce a 10mm M&P based on the beefier M&P45 platform?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think that it is hilarious that S&W would resurrect an extinct revolver as their 10mm platform.

Who can argue with their logic? A relatively expensive revolver, that shoots a "not so mainstream", semi-auto cartridge, should sell by the tens and tens this year. This means that they wouldn't have to work nearly as hard as if they had introduced a 10mm M&P semi-auto, that would sell in the thousands.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/03/27/smith-wesson-brings-back-10mm-model-610-revolver

How freakin' hard would it be for S&W to introduce a 10mm M&P based on the beefier M&P45 platform?
I had to sell the 610 I bought new in the early 90's, the kid needed diapers and that was the fastest way to get them.
I have wanted to replace it the last few years but at $1200 plus I don't need one that bad.
If S&W releases a 6.5" classic model WITHOUT the damn lock, I'll buy it immediately. Otherwise I agree it won't sell anywhere near what an M&P would.

I think they are trying to follow Ruger.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I dont think S&W will even think about the 10mm anymore, until they see others makin boatloads of cash off them. But i dont see that happening either with anyone else. Springfield brought a gun back in 10mm, but it ain`t no bank maker either. We 10mm guys are a rare bunch. Sure glad i can reload for my 10mm`s... for two reasons... 1) factory 10mm ammo is nothing more effective than 40S&W ammo. 2) the price that gun shops sell the 10mm ammo for is just ridiculous. Might as well just shoot 40S&W ammo out of your 10mm barrel and call it a day... which is what most people do with their 10mm guns anyway.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I had to sell the 610 I bought new in the early 90's, the kid needed diapers and that was the fastest way to get them.
I have wanted to replace it the last few years but at $1200 plus I don't need one that bad.
If S&W releases a 6.5" classic model WITHOUT the damn lock, I'll buy it immediately. Otherwise I agree it won't sell anywhere near what an M&P would.

I think they are trying to follow Ruger.
What has the "lock" have to do with it... i hear alotta people say this.

·
Registered
345 Posts
What has the "lock" have to do with it... i hear alotta people say this.
My 340sc locked itself in between rounds being fired at the range.
I have no trust in their faulty lock so I can't buy a new gun with one.
They know they are faulty (mine isn't the only one that locked during a line of fire) yet still sell guns with hammers with locks, why is that? The sell a few hammerless guns with no lock, but none with hammers.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
My 340sc locked itself in between rounds being fired at the range.
I have no trust in their faulty lock so I can't buy a new gun with one.
They know they are faulty (mine isn't the only one that locked during a line of fire) yet still sell guns with hammers with locks, why is that? The sell a few hammerless guns with no lock, but none with hammers.
I`ve seen the locks on them, but didnt know much about the problems with them. Is there a way to delete the lock and the gun will still work...? I`ve not played with or bought any revolvers in many years, been pretty much a striker fired kinda guy the last few years.

I`ve got an old S&W 686PLUS with the factory port in front of the front sight. Six inch barrel. I bought it brand new back in the early 90`s if i remember right. Just a six shot, but i love it. I also bought its bigger brother the same day, the 629 classic with the front factory port. Hard to find these guns today... when you do find one, they want a boatload of money for them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I`ve seen the locks on them, but didnt know much about the problems with them. Is there a way to delete the lock and the gun will still work...? I`ve not played with or bought any revolvers in many years, been pretty much a striker fired kinda guy the last few years.

I`ve got an old S&W 686PLUS with the factory port in front of the front sight. Six inch barrel. I bought it brand new back in the early 90`s if i remember right. Just a six shot, but i love it. I also bought its bigger brother the same day, the 629 classic with the front factory port. Hard to find these guns today... when you do find one, they want a boatload of money for them.
Yes you can delete the lock, some guns people make a "plug" to fit in the hole where the lock sits, others you just need to remove "the flag" inside the gun and leave the black key slot on the outside.
After doing that though you still have a hole cut into the frame that shouldn't be there so it ruins the asthetics of the gun and may or may not do something to the strength of the frame.
After S&W replaced the lock in my 340 when I sent it in, I learned how to remove the guts, then a few years later found the plug and still carry it daily as a bug, but would take one without a lock in a heartbeat.
All my other S&W revolvers are pre lock because of this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OP - How is that XDM working out for you? I've been looking at one. I'm in the same boat - I REALLY want a M&P 2.0 5" in 10mm. I have not had a 10mm, since I was a teenager, but am still set up to reload for it.

The two things that really bother me about Smith's lack of a 10mm are:

(1) They, otherwise, have an answer for everything Glock can do. G43/Shield; G19/2.0 Compact; G48/4" Shield. The list goes on an on until ya get to G20..... uh, yea, we can't do that.

(2) They are the ones who got most of us on the 10mm in the first place. Unless you count Bren, Smith offered the FIRST 10mm ever. It is almost sacrilege for them to cut us off now.

Now I am torn, 10mm or 357. I'm actually leaning to the K6S DASA over the XDM but if Smith would bring that M&P 2.0 5" in 10mm, I'd pre order it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Didn't the .40 S&W come about due to the FBI (as well as others) inability to handle the recoil of the 10MM? Remember the 10MM short, .40 Short & Weak, jokes?

Can't you convert an M&P in .45 ACP to .460 Rowland? Or .45 Super? Use the same magazines you already have for the .45 acp.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Didn't the .40 S&W come about due to the FBI (as well as others) inability to handle the recoil of the 10MM? Remember the 10MM short, .40 Short & Weak, jokes?

Can't you convert an M&P in .45 ACP to .460 Rowland? Or .45 Super? Use the same magazines you already have for the .45 acp.
While I have a 10mm Delta Elite I also have a 1911 that I did a $20 conversion to run .45 Super. Both are 1911 frames but that .45 Super is insane. My 1911 .45s and even the Delta Elite are soft shooters due to the fact that they weigh a ton. Yet you KNOW when you are shooting .45 Super. I know that all you have to do an M&P is get a 24lb. recoil spring. (I was getting primer smear with a 22lb spring). Anyway if you want old school 10mm performance from a M&P then the .45 super is probably your best bet. Same magazines, same gun, different recoil spring.
All the complaining in the world to S&W isn't going to get them to make a 10mm in the M&P line.

The 45 Super Page

·
Registered
317 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion on calibers. 10mm, .40GAP, .327Fed, 308 Marlin Express and other designer rounds.

I just know that I am going to be knee deep in cheap .40S&W ammo and guns when everyone switches back to the 9mm like the World Wide Web Experts say they will. :yes

·
Registered
421 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion on calibers. 10mm, .40GAP, .327Fed, 308 Marlin Express and other designer rounds.

I just know that I am going to be knee deep in cheap .40S&W ammo and guns when everyone switches back to the 9mm like the World Wide Web Experts say they will. :yes
I keep looking for cheap .40 S&W ammo now that "everyone" is going back to the 9MM.

Anyone seen any of it?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I keep looking for cheap .40 S&W ammo now that "everyone" is going back to the 9MM.

Anyone seen any of it?
At a couple of Walmarts by me they still have a bunch of .40 on the shelves. They don't have one round of 9mm, not even Tula. When they discount it to blow it out I'm buying every round they have. Have you ever heard of website called Brick Seek? They have a much better idea of Walmarts items in stock with prices then Walmart does. You punch in a SKU or UPC and your zip code. It then shows you what stores have what and for what prices. If that .40 sits they will do a small price drop followed by a large one.
I'll melt my credit card when they have .40 for 65% off.
That comes to $3000 sir. Yeah I know but it's 9 cents a round.
Can I have four carts please? Bag all of it, I don't feel like dealing with your "security guard" at the door.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just got another FNS (got the 4" barrel model a couple weeks ago and turned around and ordered a Compact). Hard to pass up a new .40 S&W pistol for $299.99.

The wife is going to bible study this morning for a couple hours and it's supposed to be the best day (weather wise) we've had for a couple weeks, so I may make the rounds of some Walmart stores this morning and fill up the tank on the Coupe.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm going to take a wild guess and say Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore?

Anyway with BrickSeek they have "Need help finding a SKU? Try our SKU finder." Type in Winchester in the SKU finder. You'll get a bunch of SKUs for Winchester ammo. You are looking for .40 so SKU: 50345994
UPC: 020892221833 will come up for a 200 round range pack.
Right now in Illinois and Indiana its $55.97.

You can type in Federal and under .40 you'll get SKU: 21556238
UPC: 029465063290 which is 100 round pack. That's $28.97 -11% off.

This helps when you are looking but they have Winchester 50 and 100 packs that aren't showing along with Federal 50 and 200 packs Brass and if you use it Aluminum. They also have the Remington 250 range packs.

That's where it comes in handy to hit other sites and get UPCs.
You'll see places like Cabelas and Bass Pro will hide the UPCs but others might not.

Cheaper then Dirt has the UPC for the 250 Mega Pack-UPC 047700364308
Type it into Brick Seek and bam $60 35% off.
Which means I'll be taking a ride now, a Walmart by me has 4.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd love to have an 10M&P, but unless some government somewhere puts in an order for a run of them, I think S&W regards it as outside the Military and Police mission statement.

About the FBI finding the 10mm 'too hot to handle'...I suspect it was more a case of the guns being overpowered for any kind of practical qualification course...something much more demanding on the typical LE shooter than for really determined and proficient shooters. In my experience, even a typical service load in 40S&W made it a challenge for some non-expert shooters to qualify for street carry.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you aren't paying silly money for the "full power" 10mm loads then there is very little difference in the standard 10mm loads compared to .40 "hot" loads.
I figure that 100 fps slower at 500 ft lbs in .40 is plenty for SD. If I was hunting then I would use for the full power 10mm load or there was a possibility of a bear attack.

In 2002-2003 I bought a Colt Delta Elite for $300 because the 10mm was considered a "dead" caliber. It had maybe 500 rounds through it. It sat in the LGS's cabinet for a while at $400. I offered them $300 knowing that 10mm ammo was expensive. I have a hard time concealing a 1911 w/o printing so it never gets carried but winter is coming. No printing with a jacket on.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I can't imagine this is a high-risk project for them. I also think 10mm Auto is experiencing quite a bit more than a slight uptick in popularity. When Tanfoglio can offer a dozen or so variants in 10, and when RIA, Dan Wesson, Kimber, Sig, Springfield, Glock -- plus all the custom guys -- can continue to bring out new varieties in 10, I have to think Smith has simply got some guy at the top who still feels the sting of their 10xx experience. I don't know.

I've written to them (and gotten a reply with a promise to forward to Marketing), but they certainly didn't let on that a auto pistol in 10 was on the table. All I can say is, with 40 different M&P 2.0s in every caliber, size and color you can imagine, surely a couple in 10 wouldn't kill them :) Hard for me to think of a more comfortable, practical polymer than an M&P 10c 2.0...and I'd buy one today, without hesitation. The comment about SW producing a 10mm revolver but not an auto wasn't something I ever even thought about; but, now that I have, the situation seems even more ridiculous. With all the 357s available in endless supply, let's set up a wheelgun in an auto pistol cartridge that's so unpopular, we don't see any reason to produce an auto pistol for it--on a platform we already produce by the 1000s. Nothing more fun than loading half-moons and NOT shooting what must be the 2nd most available revolver cartridge on the planet that's easily all that 10 can be. It's just plain weird (to me).

The cartridge itself is another discussion--but suffice to say I doubt there are too many that exceed its versatility, with over a dozen suitable propellants in one load book alone, and probably 20 readily-available bullets from 135 to 200 gr or more. Bullseye plinkers to 'real Norma loads' (you know, the 'real' 10mm load so many see as the only 'real' 10mm), common use of 40SW dies, many powders, bullets (and molds), and relatively cheap brass--compared to many. An advantage to 40SW for handloaders, I suppose, is that 40SW brass can be had by the truckload and it's dirt cheap to shoot. But 10 is more fun. :)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If you aren't paying silly money for the "full power" 10mm loads then there is very little difference in the standard 10mm loads compared to .40 "hot" loads.
I figure that 100 fps slower at 500 ft lbs in .40 is plenty for SD. If I was hunting then I would use for the full power 10mm load or there was a possibility of a bear attack.

In 2002-2003 I bought a Colt Delta Elite for $300 because the 10mm was considered a "dead" caliber. It had maybe 500 rounds through it. It sat in the LGS's cabinet for a while at $400. I offered them $300 knowing that 10mm ammo was expensive. I have a hard time concealing a 1911 w/o printing so it never gets carried but winter is coming. No printing with a jacket on.
I dunno Mick, I carry 1911’s frequently, and my cover garment pretty much year round is a Tee shirt.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts