MP-Pistol Forum banner

M&P 10mm

6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  DHart 
#1 ·
Heard anything about S&W possibly offering the M&P 45 in a 10mm version. I have not, but was curious.

TEX

#3 ·
I really, really hope they do. The last time I e-mailed S&W about this, which was a few months ago, they replied, "Not at this time." Maybe if they get enough requests they will think about it. S&W made many 10mms in the 3rd Gen. guns, hopefully they will chamber the M&P in 10mm.

#4 ·
The old 10mm cartridge is well on its way to oblivion, every year fewer guns are available in that caliber.

#5 ·
10mm

Glock has two 10mm, Model 20 full size (15 rnd) and compact Model 29 that seem be selling well. At the last show in Chanitilly, VA I watch two vendors sell out of them.

The round may not be completely dead yet. I own a Glock 20 that is an amazing firearm. But I have to admidt, is it is a bit "snappy" to shoot".

I have heard on the S&W forum of a strong push to have the performance center build a batch of 10mm but in the larger steel 5XXX series frames. :?

#9 ·
Re: 10mm

The round may not be completely dead yet. I own a Glock 20 that is an amazing firearm. But I have to admidt, is it is a bit "snappy" to shoot".

The 10 mm has joined the .41 magnum as something of a cult item. Shooters that like them praise them to the sky but haven't convinced many others, including most manufacturers. Sales of both were slow when they were first introduced and fell off to a trickle after that.

If there really had been a good market for guns in either cartridge, everyone would be making them. There wasn't and they aren't.

#10 ·
I get the impression that 10mm is actually growing, even if slowly, in popularity.

Dan Wesson has given new life to the cartridge with their Razorback and 10mm CBOB models.

Glock continues to make and sell their Glock 20 and 29 in 10mm.

Kimber makes and sells a 10mm Eclipse model in 10mm.

And just recently, Wilson Combat has begun to offer a 10mm Wilson 1911.

I'd say the cartridge is far from dead. In fact it's popularity looks to be growing.

Yes, I'm a big fan of the 10mm caliber... it's awesome. And I hope that S&W chambers an M&P in 10mm because I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

#12 ·
DHart said:
I'd say the cartridge is far from dead. In fact it's popularity looks to be growing.
I couldn't agree more :!:

DHart said:
And I hope that S&W chambers an M&P in 10mm because I'd buy one in a heartbeat!
I'll second that

ClosetCaseNerd said:
How does 10mm compared to .45ACP and .45ACP + P rounds?
These numbers are all for double tap's loads:

10mm:165gr. @ 1400fps/ 718ft/lbs- Glock 20

45: 165gr. @ 1325fps - 643 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911

10mm: 200gr @ 1250fps/ 694ft./ lbs. - Glock 20

45: 200gr @ 1125fps - 562 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911

10mm: 230gr @ 1120fps/ 641 ft./lbs. - Glock 20

45: 1010fps/ 521 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911

Then something a 45 cannot do:

135 gr @ 1600fps/ 767 ft./lbs. - Glock 20

This is why the fans of 10's are fans, broad range of bullet weights and can be loaded hotter than most other pistol rounds and you get the better capacity then the 45.

#13 ·
Thanks for the numbers Dan. Can you give some insight as to how it feels on the shooters end? Recoil wise? I imagine a cross between .40S&W and .45ACP? .357mag? Maybe this is too hard a question to verbalize an answer to. Wish more ranges had 10mm to rent, then maybe people could get some appreciation for the round.

#14 ·
Dan Burwell said:
These numbers are all for double tap's loads:

<snip>

This is why the fans of 10's are fans, broad range of bullet weights and can be loaded hotter than most other pistol rounds and you get the better capacity then the 45.

Yes, but isnt this the problem?

Everything that Ive read says that 10mm handguns dont hold up very well.

#15 ·
ClosetCaseNerd said:
Ronin dude....the M&P comes with and without the magazine safety. Why do you have such an issue with options?

uhh.. because if it has options how can it be the best handgun on earth? I mean you ahve a choice, that measn their must be something sub-optimal about one of them.

:wink: <-edited for sarcasm identifier.

#18 ·
ClosetCaseNerd said:
Thanks for the numbers Dan. Can you give some insight as to how it feels on the shooters end? Recoil wise? I imagine a cross between .40S&W and .45ACP? .357mag? Maybe this is too hard a question to verbalize an answer to. Wish more ranges had 10mm to rent, then maybe people could get some appreciation for the round.
I know this may sound odd since I own 4 M&P 40s, but I have always hated the recoil of the 40. I think it is too snappy, that was until I shot my first M&P but I digress. I love the recoil of the 10mm, it feels like a hot 45. I have always felt the 45 had more roll or push than snap and the 10 has that same roll or push.

If you ever make it over this way again I'll let you shoot a couple of them.

As for durability they are no worse than a 45, I don't know where this stuff gets started I suspect it's because the 10 is known as a heavy recoiling round (which is also kind of a myth unless you consider a 45 heavy).

#19 ·
I follow Dan, and I may take you up on that offer.

Well I don't see why 10mm is going into obscurity then. I can only say that people have to try guns to get to like them, and with so few guns out there to try (both in model selection but more importantly availability) then the outcome is predictable. A caliber that can give you .40 target loads up to and over .45 +P..whats not to like? That's a pretty veritable caliber...

I think the real issue is that there is no gun manufacturer that is adopting the caliber as it's own. Look at what glock is doing to get the .45GAP, they are selling PD's their Glocks chambered in .45GAP almost at cost. Look at .357sig and yes, even the .40S&W. There were guns out for the ammo, and manufacturers with a vested interest in the ammo's success. Hell, it seems I'd like 10mm, but not from a Glock, and I can't afford a 1911 chambered for it.

The 10mm may be holding on by a thread, but from what I see and hear, I hope it becomes popular. Sounds like a great cartridge.

Dan, when I'm rich maybe you can build me a 1911 in 10mm :wink:.

#20 ·
uhh.. because if it has options how can it be the best handgun on earth? I mean you ahve a choice, that measn their must be something sub-optimal about one of them.

Hey RAZ-o...that like saying why should a car have options..thats because everyone preferences are different...why have chocolate and vanilla...come on man... :roll:

#21 ·
I agree with some, the 10mm is like the 45gap, although I think that the 10mm will outsurvive the 45gap.

The 10mm is a great hunting round where autoloaders are allowed to hunt. I would have a 10mm, but I can do what I want with the 40 short and weak.

10mm has its nitch, and its following, I think it will last.

I'm not the know all and be all though.

If I'd have a 10mm it would be the one from miami vice, just as a collectors piece. Who what the Mfgr again?

#23 ·
As for durability they are no worse than a 45, I don't know where this stuff gets started I suspect it's because the 10 is known as a heavy recoiling round (which is also kind of a myth unless you consider a 45 heavy).

I believe the poor service life reputation for 10 mm guns came from the original Colt Delta Elites and Norma's extremely hot first loading of the cartridge. The Colts shot loose rather quickly and so the 10 mm got the rap of being hard on guns.

I do expect it's a lot harder onall guns than the .45. After all, the pressure is much higher and the ballistics certainly more energetic.

#24 ·
Besides the Glock 20, Glock 29, Dan Wesson Razorback, Dan Wesson CBOB, Kimber Eclipse, Wilson 10mm, you can also find SW revolvers and a coupe of other guns chambered in 10mm. It's not a dying caliber at all. Just not commonly found. I do believe the fans of 10mm are growing, not shrinking. What's not to love about a caliber that'll give you anything from very mild .40 cal. loadings right on up to screaming hot hunting loads... all from the same gun!

I'm a huge fan of 10mm. Looking at another DW ten now and possibly an Eclipse.

The 10mm platform & cartridge case are MUCH safer components for hot .40 loads than .40 is. .40 caliber is pretty much maxed out pressure wise right at factory standard. The downside of .40 is that since pressures are pretty much max to begin with, problems like inadvertant over-loading and bullet set-back in the case can easily cause kabooms! With the 10mm caliber, the guns and the cartridge cases are much beefier and have a much greater margin of safety. I think a 10mm gun makes the best .40 of all, because you can load to forty specs, and even hotter, and still be well below the safety limit of the 10mm caliber. The larger case capacity and beefier case design of the 10mm also makes bullet set-back not quite so dangerous as it is with forty!

One thing that's really important to watch with your forties (probably more so than almost any other caliber) is overcharging and bullet setback. Forty caliber has little tolerance for such errors. Any ammo that you've previously chambered but hasn't been shot should be closely scrutinized before rechambering to be certain that you don't have any bullet setback going on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.