MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all thinks that we need a 10mm M&P to round out the family?

I know we have had this discussion before, but I really want one!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Now I talked to someone about this and they told me a 10mm

is basically close to a 45. Is this true? Excuse my noobness but

I really would like to know.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
sof said:
Now I talked to someone about this and they told me a 10mm

is basically close to a 45. Is this true? Excuse my noobness but

I really would like to know.
It's a smaller projectile and a lot faster, so no.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Who all thinks that we need a 10mm M&P to round out the family?

I know we have had this discussion before, but I really want one!
Count me and my wallet in when they become available and California legal.

sof said:
Now I talked to someone about this and they told me a 10mm is basically close to a 45. Is this true? Excuse my noobness but I really would like to know.
"Noobness" never needs to be excused. We all had to start someplace, welcome to the hobby/sport. A 10mm is essentially a .40 S&W magnum, except that the 10mm came into being before the 40S&W. More correctly the .40 S&W is a shortened and somewhat defanged derivative of the 10MM. Not that the 40 is a slouch. Some find the recoil of the 10mm a bit hard to handle.

Here are some sample hot but non +P load tests by the manufacturer. Also included for reference are +P (extra hot) 9mm loads. These are shots fired through 4 layers of denim and 2 layers of cotton shirt material which simulate heavy clothing, and then penetrate into ballistic gelatin which simulates human tissue.

How to read this:

The manufacturer is DoubleTap Ammo

Bullet weight and style @ muzzle velocity - penetration depth in inches / diameter of the recovered bullet (this is not a mathematical formula - just the author's choice of separators "- /")

"frag nasty" means that the bullet broke into lots of pieces (not good).

DoubleTap 9mm +P

115gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1415fps - 12.00" / .70"

124gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1310fps - 13.25" / .70"

147gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1125fps - 14.00" / .66"

DoubleTap .40 S&W Penetration / expansion

135gr. Nosler JHP @ 1375fps - 12.10" / .72"

155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1275fps - 13.00" / .76"

165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1200fps - 14.0" / .70"

180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1100fps - 14.75" / .68"

200gr XTP @ 1050fps - 17.75" / .59"

DoubleTap .357 Magnum

125gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1600fps - 12.75" / .69"

158gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 19.0" .56"

DoubleTap 10mm

135gr JHP @ 1600fps - 11.0" / .70" frag nasty

155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1475fps - 13.5" / .88"

165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 14.25" / 1.02"

165gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1425fps - 14.75" / .82"

180gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1330fps - 16.0" / .85"

180gr XTP @ 1350fps – 17.25” / .77”

180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1300fps - 15.25" / .96"

200gr XTP @ 1250fps - 19.5" / .72"

230gr Equalizer @ 1040fps - 11.0" and 17.0" / .62" and .40"

DoubleTap .45ACP

185gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1225fps - 12.75" / .82"

200gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1125fps - 14.25" / .88"

230gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1010fps - 15.25" / .95"

Those highlighted in bold (by me) would be my personal choices for DoubleTap SD loadings when fired from a full sized handgun. My reason is that they offer the closest approach to the theoretical ideal of 15-18" of penetration, but do not exceed 18" of penetration - while making the largest possible hole. In many cases it's a compromise between penetration and expansion. We each have our own priorities and YMMV.

Getting away from "urban self defense" the 10mm's near 41mag performance makes it in theory a good entry level bear defense round. I say in theory because I've never had a bear after me.

Anyway I hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I would venture to checking it out

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
10mm is a 40 projectile in a longer case. So, more velocity than a .40!

I believe the 10mm was developed for use by Federal agencies and then re-developed into the .40 cartridge for actual use in the field.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The 10mm was developed to give .45 perfomance with higher capacity for those who thought .45 was the end all be all of LEO calibers. It was also designed to be able to give .357 magnum performance with higher capacity for those who thought .357 magnum was the end all be all of LEO cartridges.

In fact, it is capable of performance beyond .357 magnum and .45 acp.

however, the FBI gave up on this because the length of the cartridge made it a handfull for people with smaller hands, and the recoil was pretty stout and the FBI doesn't recruit because you are an avid shooter. So.. the .40 S&W was born.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
10mm is becoming more and more popular as the days go on. I am more than stocked with an M&P in 10mm, plus its pretty darn close to .45 thats always a plus in my book. All in, S&W get on it

Yukon I sent you a link a week or so back on Arf.com with an ad for a pretty nice lookin 1911 in 10mm for a decent price. Did you not get it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It would be great if 10mm became more popular!! I love my 1076, but it only holds 9... Had a G20 because it held 15 but it was never comfortable.

10mm is like a .45ACP, in size/length. I know it wouldn't be difficult to take the M&P45 and chamber it in 10mm. Little change to the barrel, magazine, recoil spring; and that's about it!

I'm in!!! I'll take two. S&W does limited runs all the time for special distributors, if enough of us got together, maybe they'd do a run of 10mm's for us. They don't want to make them and not sell them, but if they knew there was a demand...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Thats the spirit brother :wink:

I'm in!!! I'll take two. S&W does limited runs all the time for special distributors, if enough of us got together, maybe they'd do a run of 10mm's for us.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
snw19 said:
I'm in!!! I'll take two. S&W does limited runs all the time for special distributors, if enough of us got together, maybe they'd do a run of 10mm's for us. They don't want to make them and not sell them, but if they knew there was a demand...

I'd buy one if we could get something like that set up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got off the phone with S&W...

Performance Center does the runs for certain big distributors, like one of their biggest, Lew Horton.

Off to call them next.

I am way serious about this so hopefully we can find the way and get together and get this done. Who's with me?!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
snw19 said:
Well, talked to them and left a voicemail with the owner.

Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed...

Well, lets see what happens, and hope the cost is reasonable.

If you do get into talks with them, ask for some more "custom" stuff, with, possibly, the MP-PISTOL.COM down the side and/or on the packaging, snagless front contour, better/performance trigger, and what not.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it will be just short of a miracle to get them to build it in stock configuration. Also, the more custom features they have, the more expensive they will be. The more expensive they are, the less people we will get to commit to a project like this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Guys. Yukongloker posted this petition site a while back. http://www.petitiononline.com/MP10mm/petition.html

I signed it a few weeks ago and was around the 280th that signed. Let's get more on it please.

I would put myself on a waiting list to get a M&P 10mm. It would be the perfect gun. I love shooting the (2) 10mm's I have. I am sure that the M&P would tame some of the recoil so maybe even those that are more sensative to recoil than I am will want one of the nicest calibers out there.

With the addition of the .45 to the line with the larger magazine opening for the length of the .45acp there is only a change in breach face, barrel chamber, and mags and presto we have a 10mm.

May need to engineer the correct spring for it also but I am sure it wouldn't be an issue for S&W to do.

Let's make some noise on this. I'll do whatever I can to help the effort to move S&W to the caliber they developed and sold until some FBI agents complained of recoil.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Guys. Yukongloker posted this petition site a while back. http://www.petitiononline.com/MP10mm/petition.html

I signed it a few weeks ago and was around the 280th that signed. Let's get more on it please.

I would put myself on a waiting list to get a M&P 10mm. It would be the perfect gun. I love shooting the (2) 10mm's I have. I am sure that the M&P would tame some of the recoil so maybe even those that are more sensative to recoil than I am will want one of the nicest calibers out there.

With the addition of the .45 to the line with the larger magazine opening for the length of the .45acp there is only a change in breach face, barrel chamber, and mags and presto we have a 10mm.

May need to engineer the correct spring for it also but I am sure it wouldn't be an issue for S&W to do.

Let's make some noise on this. I'll do whatever I can to help the effort to move S&W to the caliber they developed and sold until some FBI agents complained of recoil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm on there too, now.

Come on, everyone sign it.

Passed it on to those I know would care. I'm going to keep an eye on it to see how it grows...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry about the double post.

I guess I am a little anxious thinking about an M&P 10mm.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts