MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a 2.0 M&P Full Size. Other then the grip length, is the total length of the full size frame the same length as the compact frame? Anyone running a compact slide (4” Barrel) on a full size frame? I recall, S&W called these “Mid-size” on M&P Gen 1 series.Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looking at getting a 2.0 M&P Full Size. Other then the grip length, is the total length of the full size frame the same length as the compact frame? Anyone running a compact slide (4” Barrel) on a full size frame? I recall, S&W called these “Mid-size” on M&P Gen 1 series.Thanks!!!!
I haven't compared them (I have a 2.0 Compact), but I was under the impression that the full size and compact only differed by the length of the slide and barrel - and that the frames (grip length/capacity) were the same.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't compared them (I have a 2.0 Compact), but I was under the impression that the full size and compact only differed by the length of the slide and barrel - and that the frames (grip length/capacity) were the same.
The 2.0 Full Size 9mm frames have a capacity of 17 + 1 as the grip length is a tad longer then the Compact.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20-1

·
Registered
402 Posts
From research I came across this:

https://gunsandhomedefense.com/new-smith-wesson-mp-m2-0-compact-semi-auto-pistol/

From real world experience it seems to work one way but not the other. The FS slide on the compact frame seems to work BUT the compact slide on the FS frame seems to have what I interpret as coil bind at the most rearward travel of the slide. Basically I wont shoot it that way but it may shoot just fine. The 2.0s I used for comparison were both .40. If what I am feeling is correct that recoil spring is fully compressed with the compact slide on the FS.

I wouldn't do it, it might work but that recoil spring feels solid. One scenario is the guide rod on the compact slide blows out the front of the slide so you are out a compact slide. The other scenario include catastrophic failure or it works but eventually something fails.

If anybody else wants to chime in who has a 2.0 full size and a 2.0 compact in say 9mm see if the compact slide doesn't feel like the recoil spring is fully compressed. On the .40 it sure seems that way.

Once again I wouldn't do it, it feels like there quite a bit of resistance at the full rearward travel of the slide. It could be that quarter of inch might make a huge difference, just enough to make that guide rod solid and blow out the front of the slide.

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the FS and Compact frames are the exactly the same in overall length, the compact slide should work on a FS frame.

The only difference I see between the 2 frames is grip length.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In regards to the M&P 45’s, it appears the same frame is used but different slide lengths.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have no idea about the M&P 45.

My hands on comparison was a .40 2.0 fullsize (4.25) and a .40 2.0 compact (4") There is a slight difference in frame lengths. They are not the same lengths frame wise but it's very close. I would think the 9mm would be the same.

Here's a video:

The key thing to look at is the guide rod at 1:23. On the 4.25" you can see the guide rod sticking out. On the 4" you cannot see the guide rod. Perhaps with the longer guide rod that comes in the 4.25" you can use the 4.0" slide. Without the longer guide rod there is coil bind. When I have time I will switch guide rods and see if I get coil stacking with the slide all the way back.

If you are buying one in .45 then I have no idea.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
In regards to the M&P 45’s, it appears the same frame is used but different slide lengths.
Looks like it is for the .45, but possibly not the entire line.

Which caliber where you looking at?
9mm

Went to my LGS.

The frame lengths for the Compact and Full
Size are the same. I was able to also put a Compact slide on a FS frame and it functioned and dry-fired w/o issues.

My LGS also had a brand new M&P 2.0 9mm for sale with the following setup from the factory:

Full Size slide (4.25” barrel) with Compact Frame, 2 15rd Mags, White Dots and Case...$439.99

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's what you were looking for so are you going to buy it? I know on my .40s the frames are 3/16" different and use different length guide rods. The full size has longer guide rod like in the YouTube video for the 9mm. Both will dry-fire but with the shorter guide rod in the compact slide there is definite coil bind at the very end of slide travel on the full size frame.

Did you get the S&W SKU? Now that you found what you are looking for you can punch that up in gun.deals and see if somebody has it cheaper. $440 seems a bit high, the FS2.0 9 is $370 online and the compact is $379 with shipping.

I say buy it, you'll like it and it was what you you were looking for.

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Other than the Grip length, the Compact and Full Size Frames are exactly the same in length and internals. As far as the guide rods, it’s not an issue with me as I don’t have a FS slide. I plan on using a compact slide on the FS frame. Unlike the FS, the dust cover on the compact slide is not exposed.

·
Registered
402 Posts
https://mp-pistol.com/mp-compact-pistols/58097-2-0-compact-recoil-springs.html

post #3 "The 2.0 Compact guide rod assembly is shorter. I have not removed the spring but it does look to be shorter as well."

This where my problem lies. The full size guide rod is longer, hence there isn't what I perceive to be coil bind when the slide is completely back. There has been some discussions on this forum about this and the only thing I can tell you is my guide rods both have (Redish - Orange) paint on them but the FS is longer. I haven't measured them or counted coils but it's visibly longer. I never did switch them but I have what I want, a FS 2.0 and a compact 2.0. You want a compact slide on a full size frame. I would do your switch again and be absolutely sure that the spring isn't fully compressed. If not, you are good to go, if so you could run into problems.

My M&Ps are in cases in my range bag and I really don't feel like taking al the stuff in the bag out and measuring. Tomorrow night after shooting I will take some more measurements.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If you have a FS and a Compact, put your Compact slide on your FS frame and let me know how it works for you. As far as binding, why would there be if you’re using the correct guide rod for the slide installed... hence compact slide with compact guide rod.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you have a FS and a Compact, put your Compact slide on your FS frame and let me know how it works for you. As far as binding, why would there be if you’re using the correct guide rod for the slide installed... hence compact slide with compact guide rod.
I did. I posted it out in post #4. That's the problem. With the Compact frame and Full Size slide no problems. With the Compact slide on the Full Size frame there is serious resistance at full slide back. It doesn't feel or sound right and I perceive it as coil bind. When I get back from shooting today I am going to measure the guide rods and count coils. I'm thinking the shorter guide rod in the compact slide is going fully compressed. The Compact slide on the Full size frame just doesn't feel or sound right at say the last 1/8" before full slide back. The guide rod that's in the the Full Size slide is noticeably longer and hence has more space before full compression but I haven't measured it.

In the link from this forum that posted post #5 states "buddy of mine said the full-size 2.0 and compact recoil springs have the same number of coils and spring thickness ,haven't checked for my self but mine just broke after about 600 rounds so i guess ill either get a replacement from S&W or check out the full size spring,both have blue paint"

Both of mine have orange paint but I doubt paint color has anything to do with it. The .40 and 9mm should have the same springs. The Full Size and Compact do not, the spring is longer on the Full Size and before you ask, yes I'm sure the proper spring are in their guns. The slides easily interchange back and forth but there is binding or some other interference at the very end of pulling the Compact slide back on the Full Size frame.

I have never considered changing slides between the two but in marathon cleaning sessions I have put the wrong slide on the wrong gun. That was quickly noticed and changed. There is a variable here that you are missing and tonight I will try and see how much travel each guide rod has. If my assumptions are correct there is more with the longer guide rod.

Your statement that both frame sizes are the same size is incorrect, the Full Size frame is approximately 3/16" of an inch longer on the .40 Full Size then on the Compact. Plus it's a blanket statement, the frame on the 3.6 Compact has a Overall Length of 6.8 and is definitely shorter.

I think you can easily do the swap but will have to change guide rods. I had both guns side by side yesterday and measured. I came up with a 3/16" difference. IMO you are either going to have to put the longer guide rod in your conversion or you are going to break the shorter one because it fully compresses at the very end of slide travel. Under fire it may work for a while (600 rounds as in post #5 above) but somethings going to give. Hopefully it's just the guide rod and not the slide. I would go back to the LGS and check it out. I misread your post, yes "The FS slide on the compact frame seems to work" as I wrote in post #4 but "the compact slide on the FS frame seems to have what I interpret as coil bind". They seem to swap but at the very rearward of travel something is happening.

I misread your intentions and thought you were good to go. Yes it seems to work that way - FS slide on compact. I would go to the LGS and put the Compact slide on the Full size. Pull the slide ALL the way back. You will feel it get really hard at the most rearward travel and hear somethings amiss. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way or wont for long. If S&W would post part numbers you will see the guide rods for the 4" and 4.25" are different. Galloway shows this as fitting the 4" compact. If it fit the Full Size, don't you think they would state that? https://gallowayprecision.com/smith...led-guide-rod-for-m-and-p-m2-compact-pistols/

Alright I'm off to the range, I'll post my findings after I tear them down and clean them. That will probably be tomorrow some time. I'm bringing five guns and will have a lot cleaning to do.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to another LGS. Compared a FS frame and a Compact frame side by side and they were exactly the same other than grip length. No binding on the FS frame using the compact slide and its guide rod.... though I don’t see why there would be if you are using the correct guide rod for the slide in use.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Alright then, do it, buy it or do whatever.
I wont have to measure then so I wont post any specs.
Your findings are different then mine or S&Ws.
I say pull the trigger so to speak.
Save the .25" of an inch between the FS and compact slide.
It's your money, spend it anyway you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
https://mp-pistol.com/mp-compact-pistols/58097-2-0-compact-recoil-springs.html

post #3 "The 2.0 Compact guide rod assembly is shorter. I have not removed the spring but it does look to be shorter as well."

This where my problem lies. The full size guide rod is longer, hence there isn't what I perceive to be coil bind when the slide is completely back. There has been some discussions on this forum about this and the only thing I can tell you is my guide rods both have (Redish - Orange) paint on them but the FS is longer. I haven't measured them or counted coils but it's visibly longer. I never did switch them but I have what I want, a FS 2.0 and a compact 2.0. You want a compact slide on a full size frame. I would do your switch again and be absolutely sure that the spring isn't fully compressed. If not, you are good to go, if so you could run into problems.

My M&Ps are in cases in my range bag and I really don't feel like taking al the stuff in the bag out and measuring. Tomorrow night after shooting I will take some more measurements.
The spring and guide rod are different, because the slide length is different. The compact and full size use the exact same frame (except grip length) and the are totally compatible and interchangeable, at least for 9mm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts