MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with magazines not dropping freely when you hit the mag release? When inserting a mag it feels really tight as it hits the mag catch and when I press the button sometimes it won't come out at all or just a little and I have to reach up and pull it out. Planning on using this gun in USPSA so I'd really like to have the mags fall free on their own

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have seen this issue with the Medium-large and the Large grip inserts installed. They seem to be made just a wee bit small for the grip and exert too much pressure on the grip, which in turn keeps the mag from dropping free.

My solution has been to heat up the grip insert that you want to use with a heat gun to make it a bit more malleable, and then reinstall it. (not too much heat to warp or melt the grip insert)

You could also call S&W to see if they can send you some new grip inserts that they can assure are properly sized.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If you have access to or want to buy some Dykem, "paint" it on the mag', let it dry (minutes at most) and it'll show you where it's tight. Maybe a gentle squeeze on the mag' in a vise will fix it. FWIW, Dykem doesn't really adhere to things, but comes right off, it's not permanent.

You want the paint on Dykem from a can and definitely not the paste in a tube.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Just did some disassembly and it looks like its both the magwell I installed and the replaceable grip. Looks like I'll be doing some heating up of the grip and then using the dremmel to make the mag well fit better

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to heat up the grip and reform it and then dremmel the frame a little bit. Still was jamming. I had pretty much given up until I realized the grip was interfering with the magwell on the back of the frame. Trimmed up the bottom of the replaceable grip to remove the interference and poof issue gone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts