MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting one of these for awhile now, but was sceptical about reliability and shootability. My oldest boy has a Walther P22 and it's very fun to shoot.

Took a chance when I found the model I wanted at an Academy that was near where I was attending training for work.

In short, it's a solid buy if you want a semi auto 22lr. Out of the box, I've shot ~400 rounds of various ammo and not a single hiccup. Very easy to shoot, good accuracy. Adjustable rear sight for both elevation and windage which is nice because it allows to hold on or under target, whichever I prefer.

Made in the USA is a plus. Grip texture is about identical to original M&P pistols. Unfortunately there's only manual safety models, plus they apparently have a keyed safety as well(but it doesn't need to be messed with). Like the original shield, there's no interchangeable grip swells. Size wise, it's nearly identical to my M&P shield 45 m2.0, the grip angle and trigger guard are slightly different.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
36 Posts
Been wanting one of these for awhile now, but was sceptical about reliability and shootability. My oldest boy has a Walther P22 and it's very fun to shoot.

Took a chance when I found the model I wanted at an Academy that was near where I was attending training for work.

In short, it's a solid buy if you want a semi auto 22lr. Out of the box, I've shot ~400 rounds of various ammo and not a single hiccup. Very easy to shoot, good accuracy. Adjustable rear sight for both elevation and windage which is nice because it allows to hold on or under target, whichever I prefer.

Made in the USA is a plus. Grip texture is about identical to original M&P pistols. Unfortunately there's only manual safety models, plus they apparently have a keyed safety as well(but it doesn't need to be messed with). Like the original shield, there's no interchangeable grip swells. Size wise, it's nearly identical to my M&P shield 45 m2.0, the grip angle and trigger guard are slightly different.

View attachment 18905
View attachment 18906
View attachment 18904
I have own one for 5 yrs and love it. Great gun for teaching beginners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ive had one for several years now, can you explain where the "key safety" is?
I removed the manual safety from mine and like it even better.

If it has a ridiculous key lock like tge revolvers that will have to come out as well.
I had a revolver lock on me mid cylinder so I now remove them automatically, I wasn't aware the .22compact had one though.

S&W's parent company is who makes the useless locks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
is it the same procedure as the regular MP pistols?
No
The .22 compact is not built like the full size center fire guns.

I was a production, but now that its done worth every minute it took researching.

I think I posted the 3 videos here on how to detail strip the gun.

If you can't find them I'll try to repost next time I'm at a PC.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thank you very much.

I just looked online and that key locks the manual safety in the safe position.
I removed the manual safety so mine should be Ok.

I feel silly that I've had the gun since they were released about 8 years ago and never knew it had that. I looked in the box this morning and there are no keys so that might be why I never noticed it.

Thank you for the pic, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here are some pics of mine.

It has a light on it because it's main purpose is nuisance animal dispatching and I want to see everything around.

The can is a SilencerCo Sparrow.

The only ammo issue I've had was with bulk Winchester, it wouldn't run in that suppressed or not. All other ammo I've tried has went through it just fine.

If you get a suppressor keep in mind you will need to clean the gun a lot sooner than without as it gets very dirty.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yes I did remove the mag safety disconnect, that one is very easy to do.

The keys you pictured look just like the revolver keys, so I have some in the revolver boxes (with the lock itself that I remove).

I guess I better put a disclaimer stating that removal of any safety device or lock can/will void your warranty, and can cause you legal headaches if you have an ND.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Are you aware there are magazine kits available to add capacity?
They are not cheap but they do work.
Here are some pics, upgraded 16rd mag on left, completely stock mag on the right.

I bought the complete kits at Taylor Tactical, not sure if anyone else has similar products. You can buy the items piece by piece to accomplish your needs or the whole kit.

You use the stock mag body and replace everything else with the complete kit.

The one thing you will lose is the black button slider on the side of the mag with the complete kit.
I wanted the slide hold open option on the last round so that is another reason I bought the whole kit.

I bought 3 kits and haven't had any problems with them, I bought them pre Covid.

This link goes to the M&P .22 compact page to show all options. The rest of the sight is good and they have products for other guns but I linked it this way, because we are discussing this gun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is the slide steel or some other metal?
The barrel itself is carbon steel. The slide is aluminum alloy - plenty sturdy for all the .22lr you want to shoot for the next 10 years or so.

I have two of them. I bought the second one because it was on sale at a really good price and in the highly unlikely event that something would go wrong with the first one, I wouldn't be without my fun range toy.

I actually did have to send the first one back to the mother ship because the height adjusting screw on/in the rear sight was faulty. They fixed it and no problems since then. That was 5 years ago. The second one has a sloppy manual safety which occasionally flips itself on while I'm shooting, but it's a range toy and I don't really consider that a problem. If I ever shot one in a competition it would be the first one because of that sloppy safety on the second one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts