MP-Pistol Forum banner

241 - 260 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have a M&P22 on order and wanted to ask you owners a couple of questions.

And, if you could do it over, would you still buy it, or perhaps look at the Ruger SR22?

I'd still buy it in a heartbeat. It's lighter than the center fire FS M&P's, handles and feels about the same, shoots fairly good. That helps getting a new shooter started too. Saves money on ammo and it's a great little plinker.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yah, it was definitely a good purchase. Unlike the Sig Mosquito mistake, it feels and handles very much like the 'real' thing.

Very reliable as well compared to the Mosquito and the P220 conversion I had.

It also produced nice mushroomed hollowpoints using Fed bulk.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I finally got out today to do some serious practice. Put over 750 rounds through my M&P22 as fast as I could load my single magazine, while shooting drills at an auto-reset target.

Was shooting Wal-Mart 525 bulk packs of Federal copper-wash HP's. Only had 2 hiccups.

1. Had a round fail to feed correctly when racking the gun, stove piping instead. I probably smacked the magazine in too hard.

2. Had the slide fail to lock back on empty one time. With over 60 malfunction-free magazines loaded I wasn't able to determine what may have caused this to happen the one time.

I found it interesting that if you smack the magazine hard enough the gun will release the slide and load the first round similar to how my 9mm does. Unfortunately this also sometimes results in popping the top round out of the mag enough to cause #1 above.

Over 750 rounds later and I was wishing I had brought another brick or two of ammo with me. I love this gun.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
2. Had the slide fail to lock back on empty one time. With over 60 malfunction-free magazines loaded I wasn't able to determine what may have caused this to happen the one time.

Mine did that twice with different ammo brands. Figured the round didn't have enough "poop" to push the slide all the way back to snag a new round one time and the second didn't lock it open.

I chalked it up to light 22 loads (crap happens) and just getting it broke in. Other than that it's a riot to shoot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One of the reasons I got a M&P22 was so I could shoot 525 rounds each practice session and only be out $17. And loading 44 mags in a couple hours is going to wear your thumbs out no matter your method. I had the issues with my Ruger Mark III 22/45 until I found the Ultimate Clip Loader. With one of those you can go through a brick of ammo quicker than you'd ever believe. I can't wait till the have the universal and M&P22 inserts completed.

I emailed them and the response was that they should be available soon. I am excited to get one. As far as clips go these are great for a 22 but speedloading is a ton of fun.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
As far as clips go these are great for a 22 but speedloading is a ton of fun.
Clips? Did you mean magazines or are you loading your M&P22 using clips? I'd like to see that.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Clips? Did you mean magazines or are you loading your M&P22 using clips? I'd like to see that.

Some one makes a loader for 22 mags. I can't find the link. But, it's plastic, you dump a handfull of 22 in a box like thing at the top and shake it around until all the 22's are facing down in a slotted tray. Then you slide the spring button down on your mag and insert it into a slot at the end of this loader and raise the loader vertically and all the 22's are supposed to slide down and into the empty mag. It works on High Standard mags and a couple others. Last I knew they were getting the bugs worked out on the "slotted feed tray part" that the M&P 22 mags would slide into for feeding. The consept sounds good, but if it actually works I don't have a clue. ...how does the rimm onthe 22 clear the top of the mag lips ????

The HS Mags feed different than the M&P 22 mags. HS you can just hold down the spring button and drop rounds in. The M&P's mags aren't that easy being the mag is fatter and the rounds can and will go every which way unless you keep a small amount of tension on the spring and feed them one by one. That's the bug I think they are trying to work out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got RID of my MP22 and got the RUGER SR22 i think (KNOW) its a LOT better gun. the S&W is just a cheap WALTHER 22 with another dress on. as they say YOU CANT POLISH A TURD! john

·
Registered
239 Posts
Got RID of my MP22 and got the RUGER SR22 i think (KNOW) its a LOT better gun. the S&W is just a cheap WALTHER 22 with another dress on. as they say YOU CANT POLISH A TURD! john
Good luck to you with that Ruger! I've owned several Rugers over the years and am about to sell off the last of them...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Clips? Did you mean magazines or are you loading your M&P22 using clips?
You know exactly what he means...

the S&W is just a cheap WALTHER 22
Not hardly...

Good luck to you with that Ruger! I've owned several Rugers over the years and am about to sell off the last of them...
I have 6 Ruger MKII's, a Ruger SR22 and a S&W M&P 22, among countless other .22's. Each has been 100%...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Put 200 rounds through it today. 100 CCI Mini Mag's and 100 Remington Golden Bullets. Untill thing's settle in this is an 11 round mag. Absolutely wouldn't feed the first round if loaded with 12, didn't matter which load or if attempting to load using the slide release (prefered) or sling shotting it. The thumb safety doesn't allow it to fit my CCC Looper, so it has to go as practicing my drawstoke is important to me. The sights suck, need to replace them. I'm gonna try fitting a factory M&P rear with the white dots blacked out and a fiber optic front. Fit and finish was good, gun shot well and fed/fired every round as long as only 11 were loaded in the mag. If I loaded 11, chambered a round then topped of the mag with two more it ran fine. Trigger wasn't bad and more than managable.​

·
Registered
239 Posts
Put 200 rounds through it today. 100 CCI Mini Mag's and 100 Remington Golden Bullets. Untill thing's settle in this is an 11 round mag. Absolutely wouldn't feed the first round if loaded with 12, didn't matter which load or if attempting to load using the slide release (prefered) or sling shotting it. The thumb safety doesn't allow it to fit my CCC Looper, so it has to go as practicing my drawstoke is important to me. The sights suck, need to replace them. I'm gonna try fitting a factory M&P rear with the white dots blacked out and a fiber optic front. Fit and finish was good, gun shot well and fed/fired every round as long as only 11 were loaded in the mag. If I loaded 11, chambered a round then topped of the mag with two more it ran fine. Trigger wasn't bad and more than managable.
Load the magazines with 12 and let them sit for a few days/week. I did that with mine and it's yet to have an issue with 12 in any of the 6 mag's I now own for the pistol...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've put thousands of rounds down range with my M&P22 pistol and it runs 100%. Not always the case though. It was hit and miss with some of the different types of ammo I tried. I now use the Blazer 525 40g bulk packs and box after box, it's 100%. Shoots like a lazer, always goes bang, feels just like my other M&Ps, has the same Dawson FO front sight. And now that I found some magazines for it (found them here if anyone is still looking), I'm a happy camper. I doubt I'll ever touch my semi reliable Ruger MKIII again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone with a M&P22, modify the rear factory sight? or are they able to use something like the factory m&p40 sights? i just want something on my rear sights to improve shorten my time to sight the target.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I found the rear sight was fairly easy to change. The front sight not so much, most likely due to both sights being designed for the center-fire M&Ps. I went with aftermarket sights by 10-8, which are over-sized to begin with, to be consistent with my other M&Ps. I prefer 10-8s brass-bead front sight and black u-notch rear sight.

The dovetails on the M&P22 are not tapered, and obviously the slide is soft aluminum, so fitting is critical. I have heard elsewhere that if you swap out only the rear sight, the gun could shoot low. I did not experience this when changing both sights.

241 - 260 of 285 Posts