MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older model M&P 22lr Compact that I converted to a threaded barrel. I find I now need to use it at night some and want to put some night sights, or at least a front tritium sight, on it that will clear a suppressor.

What aftermarket night sights are my better options? Of those, which will clear a suppressor?

What other "night fight" enhancements should I consider when shooting predators attacking my cats, chickens, etc.

TIA,
Sid

·
Registered
384 Posts
A frame-mounted light might be better than night sights for that type of thing.

Depending on the distance, and size of your target, you may want to try a rifle. A precise .22LR shot can be lethal, but a rifle is going to be a lot easier to be precise at any distance.

Know your local laws about such things also.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I bought mine around 2014, I couldn't find night sights back then.

I recently tried to get the slide milled for a RDS and nobody would do it, they all said the slide was to thin.

Anyway, I tried shooting a raccoon at night at about 25 yards with a flashlight in my off hand and missed the shot. The next day I ordered a weapon light (this one has an option for a laser) and have not missed a critter since.

Streamlight TLR-8 is what I went with. The TLR-7 is the same light but without the laser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A frame-mounted light might be better than night sights for that type of thing.

Depending on the distance, and size of your target, you may want to try a rifle. A precise .22LR shot can be lethal, but a rifle is going to be a lot easier to be precise at any distance.

Know your local laws about such things also.
I've tried rifles but, a 22lr pistol is a lot more maneuverable. In terms of light, I'm not a fan of a weapons light on such a lightweight compact pistol and I have a freehand for a better flashlight if needed.

Local laws are not an issue for me where I live. Killing livestock is open season on almost anything. Then you can add Castle Doctrine on top of that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought mine around 2014, I couldn't find night sights back then.

I recently tried to get the slide milled for a RDS and nobody would do it, they all said the slide was to thin.

Anyway, I tried shooting a raccoon at night at about 25 yards with a flashlight in my off hand and missed the shot. The next day I ordered a weapon light (this one has an option for a laser) and have not missed a critter since.

Streamlight TLR-8 is what I went with. The TLR-7 is the same light but without the laser.
Hmm, a laser might be a good option. I'd still like to find a tritium front sight though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hmm, a laser might be a good option. I'd still like to find a tritium front sight though.
Maybe contact S&W explain what you want to do then ask if they will give you the size of the front sight. You might get lucky and it could be the same size as a different gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts