MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a M&P9 and a M&P9C for a while. I was wondering what to give myself for Christmas and happened to be driving by the local gunstore on Thursday. Lo and behold they had a M&P45 with brown frame and thumb safety sitting in the case.

I tried to resist but couldn't so I drove back to town today and bought it. Now if it would just stop raining so I could try it out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've got the all black and am tempted for the Dark Earth; however, I can't get over the safety. I have the 9, 40, 40c, 45, and the 340 (.357 5-shot) they are rather addicting.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally got a chance to get this gun to the range. When I was loading the magazines I couldn't get either one to hold more than nine rounds. I put one box of Independence 230gr FMJ through it and had 15 FTFs. I'm not real happy right now.

I am going to get some Federal American Eagle ammo and see how that does. I have found that if a gun doesn't work with Federal it probably won't work with anything. Hopefully when I get my two free magazines they will hold ten rounds. I was planning on shooting this gun in IDPA competition so mags that only hold nine rounds would clearly put me at a disadvantage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Only 9 rds

I have had problems with the Independence ammo in more than one brand 45acp. I also have had a couple of bad mag's for the 45 M&P. I now have 2 M&P 45acp's. Get good mags and good ammo and you should be in business. You have a good idea trying a different brand of ammo first. Some folks may have good luck with the independence ammo but I have not. The over all length would vary on rounds in the same box. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know anyone with good Independence ammo experience. It seems to be loaded light maybe, inconsistently definately.

I also have a problem with round 10, I've gotten used to cramming it in the mag, chambering again, dropping the mag, and filling 'er up again.

·
Registered
380 Posts
GaryXD said:
Well I finally got a chance to get this gun to the range. When I was loading the magazines I couldn't get either one to hold more than nine rounds. I put one box of Independence 230gr FMJ through it and had 15 FTFs. I'm not real happy right now.

I am going to get some Federal American Eagle ammo and see how that does. I have found that if a gun doesn't work with Federal it probably won't work with anything. Hopefully when I get my two free magazines they will hold ten rounds. I was planning on shooting this gun in IDPA competition so mags that only hold nine rounds would clearly put me at a disadvantage.

just keep jamming the 10th in... the spring will loosen a touch, and it'll be easier later.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Range Trip #2

I had time to go back to the range today. I went to Dunham's Sports at the mall to get some American Eagle ammo. They wanted $22.99 per box of 50 so I told them no thanks.

I then went to Wal-Mart and they had Blazer Brass for $11.97. I figured I would buy one box and give it a try. So it's off to the range with the one box of Blazer and I also brought along another box of the Independence (I have eight boxes left unfortunately).

I first shot the Blazer. It functioned perfectly. Next I shot the Independence. The first and last round of each mag would Fail To Feed. Lesson learned............If at first you don't succeed, try different ammo. The odd thing is that the Independence has worked fine in my XD.

I was able to get ten rounds in the magazines this trip but it is awful hard to get them seated with the slide closed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
GARY xd

Glad you had better luck with the Blazer ammo. You are correct my xd's did better with the Independece ammo but if you shoot enough of them the XD may bobble sooner or later. My Kimbers & DW's hate the Independence ammo. As I stated rounds varied in ovl in the same box. Some rounds were hotter than others out of the same box. I feel the Blazer Brass is about as cheap as I want to go. I know others have had problems with the Blazer ammo and I do not think it is quite as good as the wwb or the UMC ammo. I am thinking about trying some of the SB ammo. It is getting harder to find range ammo at a resonable cost. I now have 2 M&P 45acp's. and so far so good. Like you I have the XD 45's and they are one whale of a gun for the money. One of the main reasons I bought the M&P's is because they are american made. I never though I would warm up to the poly/plactic pistols but I have became quite fond of them. Have a good Christmas & New Year and let me know how the M&P is working out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
nice .45, mp45girl... apparently Santa likes you better than me!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't know if I am lucky or what but I have never had any issues with putting the 10th round in either of my .45's.

Independence Ammo is garbage. I shoot lots of Blazer Brass without issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tydephan said:
[quote name='mp45girl']I do believe I was a very VERY good girl this year. LOL

Did you steal my gun?

Nice piece.

This one is my fourth M&P.[/quote]

Nope, however I LOVE
those black grips..

·
Registered
150 Posts
mp45girl said:
[quote name='tydephan'][quote name='mp45girl']I do believe I was a very VERY good girl this year. LOL

Did you steal my gun?

Nice piece.

This one is my fourth M&P.[/quote]

Nope, however I LOVE
those black grips..[/quote]

I was curious as to whether the palmswells from my other M&Ps would fit. They actually fit very well. I was surprised. So I think I'm going to leave the black one on there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts