MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
They are finally for sale at my local gun store.

And everyone said "AMEN"

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not to start any bashing - just to clear up something a friend of mine said - he said the .357 SIG round was actually a souped up 9mm.

Now, for my knowledge - what is the actual dimensions of the .357 SIG round.

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
ArmyCop said:
Not to start any bashing - just to clear up something a friend of mine said - he said the .357 SIG round was actually a souped up 9mm.

Your friend is more of less correct.

The 357 SIG fires a 9mm-sized bullet. The case is the same size as a .40 S&W then necked down to the .355" bullet. However, the internal dimensions and design of the 357 SIG case are substantially different than the .40 S&W case, which is what allows the 357 SIG to have a safe 40,000psi MAP as opposed to the 35,000psi MAP of the .40 S&W.

From a terminal ballistics standpoint, the 357 SIG is a 9mm pushed another 100-200fps. Most manufacturers use slightly different bullet designs in their 357 SIG ammunition to provide proper barrier penetration at these increased velocities.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='ArmyCop']Not to start any bashing - just to clear up something a friend of mine said - he said the .357 SIG round was actually a souped up 9mm.

Your friend is more of less correct.

The 357 SIG fires a 9mm-sized bullet. The case is the same size as a .40 S&W then necked down to the .355" bullet. However, the internal dimensions and design of the 357 SIG case are substantially different than the .40 S&W case, which is what allows the 357 SIG to have a safe 40,000psi MAP as opposed to the 35,000psi MAP of the .40 S&W.

From a terminal ballistics standpoint, the 357 SIG is a 9mm pushed another 100-200fps. Most manufacturers use slightly different bullet designs in their 357 SIG ammunition to provide proper barrier penetration at these increased velocities.[/quote]

To add a bit more:

The .357 SIG was originally intended to duplicate the ballistics of a 125 gr JHP .357 MAG round, which was ranked #1 for "one-shot stops" in actually shootings. So it is essentially an auto pistol version of a .357 MAG revolver, at least in theory, as I believe the true velocity is not quite up there.

It also has the added benefit of a bottle-neck shape, which theoretically improves reliability in feeding in auto-loaders.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
There were two primary design goals for the 357 SIG:

• duplicate the external ballistics (bullet weight & velocity) of the 125gr .357 Magnum police loads that have been considered supremely effective for many years
  • achieve the best possible results in the FBI's ballistic performance tests, which typically scored the fragmenting .357 Magnum very poor

• While the bottleneck design does provide superior feed reliability in theory, it also creates some very real feed issues related to magazines and magazine springs. The relatively heavy bullets tend to nosedive in the magazine during recoil. More than a few pistol companies have come up against this problem and it's one reason why there are fewer 357 SIG pistol models on the market than .40 S&W.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now it's time for the 5" M&P.

I would like one with both .40 and .357Sig barrels please.

·
Registered
52 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Now it's time for the 5" M&P.

I would like one with both .40 and .357Sig barrels please.
I have both the 357-sig and 40 barrel for my glock 31, IMO it is the best setup out there right now. Second would be the 45 and 400 corbon, but the 400 is to non main stream.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess is that they will fill orders for the complete guns before they will release barrels for sale.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
My guess is that they will fill orders for the complete guns before they will release barrels for sale.

Based on a conversation I had with S&W yesterday, I'd say that's a very likely course of events.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm gonna see if I can order one tomorrow..

Been waiting for it long enough man...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Mmmm... new gun smell... can't wait.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I saw one this weekend and the melonite coating looked darker and thicker than other M&P's. The gun shop guy noticed the same thing. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I realize this may have been asked time and time again, but does the 357 SIG outperform the .40? I have read it has great (maybe too great) penetrating power, but overall where does it fall with the .40 and the .45?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

M&P .40

·
Registered
47 Posts
Joe Merchant said:
I realize this may have been asked time and time again, but does the 357 SIG outperform the .40? I have read it has great (maybe too great) penetrating power, but overall where does it fall with the .40 and the .45?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

M&P .40

There's very little difference between the service calibers these days when shooting modern JHP ammunition.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
.357 Sig is basically a very fast 9mm round which some LE apparently like for it's ability to defeat barriers such as car doors. There are lots of people who will tell you it is a better round than any 9mm, .40. or .45. I don't know if that is true especially considering the wide range of performance differences between various rounds within the same caliber let alone different calibers.

Double=Taps stats on .40 and .357.

Ballistics : 135gr. @ 1375fps / 567 ft/lbs/4.0"bbl 40 S&W

Ballistics : 125 gr. @ 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs. 4"bbl 357 sig

Ballistics : 147 gr. @ 1250fps / 510 ft. lbs. 4"bbl 357 sig

Ballistics : 155gr. @ 1275fps / 560 ft/lbs- 4.0"bbl 40 S&W

Try this article.

http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_357Sig.htm

Comments on the .357 Sig.

Or for another perspective;

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

.357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts