MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an used, unmodified M&P 40 1.0 I am picking up this week and I have a question about which ammo and gr weight seems to perform well in your 40's.
Thanks for replies

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine, with the original barrel, did not like the 135 grain hollow points that shoot very well in my CZ .40's. I'll be trying some 180 grain ammo next range trip and it has a new Storm Lake barrel. Hoping for some good performance/groups.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My .40 Fullsize and .40 PC Shield both shoot 180 grain ammo about 2 1/2" inches high at 25 yards. Most likely 155 or 165 grain would have impacted lower and hit dead on.
But I stubbornly wanted the heavier bullet weight and stocked up on 180's.

I shoot both Federal HST and Winchester Ranger Bonded for carry. For practice the Rem-UMC value pack 180 FMJ were most accurate in my two .40s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gen 1

I have a Gen 1 that has thousands of rounds thru it. I have even replaced the trigger block because it was worn so much on the rails that it shot low left beyond the sites ability to correct for it. it has shot well with every thing but 200 gr. bullets and prefers 155 to 165 gr. Winchester or Federal but with handloads will shoot 180 gr. just fine. PS. the trigger block replacement brought the sites back to center.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My full size .40 likes 180 grain. My Compact .40 likes 165 grain. My Performance Center Shield doesn't care. It's been upgraded with an Apex trigger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 4" 40 puts 180 gr. bullets just under 1 in high at 25 yds. It feeds and functions with 155 - 180 gr. bullets with no issue. I have Trijicon HD sights on mine. If I start carrying a striker fired pistol, this one is it.

JW

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
Federal HST in 165gr. hits pretty close to where I aim, EDC ammo choice in all my M&P40 pistols from Pro & f/s to Shield. I find that 155 lands just a little bit lower but easily within "Minute of Bad Guy" at reasonable defensive range (sub 25 yards). 180 hits a bit higher, as a previous poster mentioned, but it's less snappy and sub-sonic (quieter) so it's looking more and more attractive as I get older.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hard to beat HSTs, Gold Dots, or Critical Defense.

You'd have to pick one and test it extensively before calling it good in your pistol. I generally like the heavier bullets, but you'd need to compare and see what you prefer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
For target shooting, Winchester 165 gr. FMJ.
For EDC, Winchester LE RANGER T-SERIES 165 gr. JHP, and HST 165 gr. JHP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts