MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a older M&P40 fullsize that I bought new about a year and half ago. I have since fired atleast a couple thousand rounds thru the beastie. No issues what so ever. I have a couple of questions.

It says to get it professionally cleaned at 2000 rounds. Is this necessary if you clean it well your self. I usually just feild strip it and have on a couple of occasions taken it down to removing the firing pin and springs and cleaning that out.

What type of cleaning solvents/oil do you guys use for yours.

Also last but not least is there any major issues with the early M&P's that I should be readily concerned about. As stated I havnt had any issues firing even the white box winchester ammo 300 or so at a time.

Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
MADMAX22 said:
Hey guys, I have a older M&P40 fullsize that I bought new about a year and half ago. I have since fired atleast a couple thousand rounds thru the beastie. No issues what so ever. I have a couple of questions.

It says to get it professionally cleaned at 2000 rounds. Is this necessary if you clean it well your self. I usually just feild strip it and have on a couple of occasions taken it down to removing the firing pin and springs and cleaning that out.

What type of cleaning solvents/oil do you guys use for yours.

Also last but not least is there any major issues with the early M&P's that I should be readily concerned about. As stated I havnt had any issues firing even the white box winchester ammo 300 or so at a time.

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about yours if you had no defects with over few thousand rounds. Out of hundred of thousands of M&P's they make there's bound to be lemons. Fortunately for you it isn't the case. As far as cleaning try some breakfree CLP

·
Registered
937 Posts
If you haven't seen a problem in a few thousand rounds of ownership, then you're good until something physicly breaks. Most of the manufacturing issues crop in in the first thousand, the remainder within the next.

For cleaning, use whatever you want, though you should avoid Ammoniated solvents unless you have really bad copper fouling. I, and many others, have tried and have been using Weapon Shield since the maker offered up free samples a while back. It's a CLP that has excellent rust prevention and does an incredible job of cleaning. I used to have trouble getting fouling out of my barrel, but now it almost slides out with a patch. It's offered on the M&P Store and is reasonably priced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts