MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting a PPK/S (smith and wesson version) for a while and love the size and the de cocker and the safety. It makes it easy to carry one in the chamber without the hassle and a AD.

The Smith and Wesson M&P doesnt afford the same comfort level to me and I was wondering if anyone else has that concern.

Never owning a Glock which has the same setup this is a first for me.

This is my first post. I have a CCW and love living in Florida for several reasons including the gun laws and taxes.

Melbourneman

·
Registered
106 Posts
I dont see how the M&P would give you an AD.

It wont shoot until you do.

Does the PPK have a firing pin lock/block?

Most older designs (of handguns in general) do not.

Those guns that do not (have the pin blocked) have the possibility of an AD if dropped - or impacted in other ways. Thats the gun I wouldnt trust carrying, not the M&P.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've too comtemplated this issue before. M&P does not come with any manual safety device.

However, what is really the manual safety device for?

To prevent under age kids or unintended user from accidentally discharging the firearm?

For one kids (until they understand the danger of firearm) should not handle firearm period. Even if there is a safety on the firearm, it can be easily defeated by by tinkering around with, this including the key lock option on the M&P if they get a hold of the key. Bottomline, its the owners reponsiblilty to keep it out of reach of unintended users.

To prevent accidental discharge by the operator?

Not if you always remember the golden rule keep your finger off the trigger!!! Until ready to fire.

The particular M&P model I've got comes with magazine disconnect that prevent it from firing when magazine is removed. This will keep those of you who keep a chambered round from accidentally discharging it while cleaning or you may just forgot you had a round in the chamber.

I saw the show Shooting Gallery that feature S&W M&P development and the Shooting Instructor sorry forgot the name of the gentlmen stated "Need to call the M&P for what it is....Its a Fighting Gun." IMO You need it to work when you need it and you wont have time to play with safety.

The best safety in the world is the one between your ears!

IMHO ofcourse 8)

radd

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The PPK/S has a manual safety that is very easy to undo, takes a milli second. I carry it with a bullet in the chamber with the safety on which is really blocks the firing pin.

The M&P with a bullet in the chamber is 100% ready to go. If there is a mistake or something gets caught on the trigger a AD will occur.

I was wondering if most M&P carriers carry one in the chamber or to be on the safe side just slide the clip when anticipating danger? For now I dont keep on in the chamber for fear a mistake will occur.

There are no kids in my family so there are no worries about that.

I just wish the M&P had a decocking device and a pin blocker.

I have shot 500 + rounds thru the M&P with just 2 jams the first time out. The other times have been flawless, I guess the gun needed breaking in. Its a great pistol with a good feel.

I want to purchase the 45 cal when it comes out which is soon I hope.

Melbourneman

·
Registered
106 Posts
First, dont expect to see the 45 anytime soon (maybe next year).

Ok, your PPK external safety is blocking the firing pin from the hammer, not blocking the pin from the bullet's primer. A drop, or "impact", may provide enough inertia for the firing pin to set off the primer. Bang!

The M&P, as most "new" guns do, have 3 safeties:

1) An external safety which is "manually" applied. In the case of the M&P, the external safety is part of the trigger. Unless the trigger is physically pulled, the lever cannot extend (pull) into battery.

2) A hammer block. In the case of the M&P, which has a striker in place of the hammer, the striker is locked into a set position - and is unable to move. Only when the trigger is pulled will the striker be unlocked.

3) A firing pin block. The firing pin is locked (blocked) into a set position - and is unable to move. Only when the trigger is pulled will the firing pin be unlocked.

There is no way for the gun to "fire" unless there is some object physically manipulating the trigger. Yes, other guns will let you "play" with them even while loaded - and even with one in the chamber. But, really, is that smart?

As Glock'ers always say: keep your finger off the trigger and use a proper holster (covers the trigger guard). Oh yeah, and always check FIRST to see if a gun is unloaded before playing with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks kramer for the info

i just ordered a belt holster for the M&P from El Paso Saddlery. It looks good and is customed made for the M&P.

I have a holster for the PPK/S that sits inside the pants and latches to the belt but is very uncomfortable for me when I am sitting.

I am thinking about something around my neck under the shirt. I cant get use to something sticking me in the side all the time although its great for concealment.

Wish this site would get more posters!!

I will do my best to keep posting.

Melbourneman

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey new to the site and love my M&P 40.

I dont think having no manual safety is a issue. Only if something gets snagged on the trigger will it go off. If I remember correctly all pistols that law enforcment use must pass the drop test by the FBI. And the police department that adopts the M&P will usually do there own drop test just to satisfy there evaluation of the pistol. So I dont have to problem with having it chambered during normal carry. But for those that are used to pistols with a manual safety it will take a little getting used to it. But remember practice, practice, practice.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
1. Have a good holster. make sure you can't keep your trigger finger in there when you holster the weapon.

2. This firearm was meant to compliment the SAO revolvers, and compete against the Blocks and XD's. Therefor for external saftey.

I'm pretty comfortable about the setup as I've carried an XD since springfield started marketing them.

I always carry one in the pipe, otherwise you have a really expensive club.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kramer said:
Cool

Post some photos (and price) of the holster when you get a chanc

[/img]

I have a few pics,,, how do I get them on here ?? I tired for 10 mins hitting the Img button but havent a clue what to do??? I have the pictures on my pc. Can i place them right on here?

thanks

don

·
Registered
7 Posts
melbourneman4007 said:
The PPK/S has a manual safety that is very easy to undo, takes a milli second. I carry it with a bullet in the chamber with the safety on which is really blocks the firing pin.

The M&P with a bullet in the chamber is 100% ready to go. If there is a mistake or something gets caught on the trigger a AD will occur.

I was wondering if most M&P carriers carry one in the chamber or to be on the safe side just slide the clip when anticipating danger? For now I dont keep on in the chamber for fear a mistake will occur.

I just wish the M&P had a decocking device and a pin blocker.
I carried a PPK/S for a number of years, but gave it up when the Kahr pistols came out. IMHO the PPK/S is an obsolete weapon. The PM9 is smaller, lighter, uses a much more potent round, is faster and easier to operate. Same trigger action for all shots. And I think that the modern DAO autos and the Glock/M&P type actions are much safer than in the hands of the average shooter than older SA Browning designs with a safety.

Fred

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fred:

Its the Bond stigma associated with the PPK variety of gun. I read and saw every Bond movie and of course I had to have a Walther PPK (S).

I am going to the gun show in Melbourne Fl in July and coincidentally am looking for a more powerful carry gun,,, either a Kimber (Ultra Carry ll), H&K or Para Ordinance. I am not sure which one but its going to be a 1911 type with a safety 45 caliber.

The PPK/S IMO is a beautiful gun asthetically and when I take it to the range it gets more compliments than the other guns, esp the females.

I mainly use the M&P as back up when I am in the car or truck but dont carry it concealed since its a bit too big and the safety thing.

Which Kimber do you have?

Don

G

·
0 Posts
You feel "cocked and locked" is safer?

That Kimber Tactical is nice, and feels really great (aluminum frame?).

2x the price of an M&P though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not actually

I like de cocked and locked..

So, ,one in the chamber, but,, i have to take safety off,, then,,, its a double action trigger just like a revolver,, one fired it is just like the M&P.

Its just a comfort level that the M&P doesnt have.

Locked and cocked would be the next alternative.

Cocked and ready,,,,,,,,, well, i d have to really train on that one. My body parts mean a whole lot to me... LOL

Don

·
Registered
45 Posts
melbourneman4007 said:
I have a few pics,,, how do I get them on here ?? I tired for 10 mins hitting the Img button but havent a clue what to do??? I have the pictures on my pc. Can i place them right on here?

thanks

don

Hey Melman,

PM you information on pix or goto READ Section

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
melbourneman4007 said:
Kramer said:
Cool

Post some photos (and price) of the holster when you get a chanc

[/img]

thanks

don

you should get a popup window when you hit the add image button.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone here in FL want to go shooting with me? I use the Sebastian Outdoor range,, its $8 for the day and its very safe with all the RO on the premise. Run by the county.

Let me know, i go often since I am retired..

D

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
pimpin... don't know if there is anyone else from florida, we'll grow!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts