MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know what you're thinking, "a S&W M&P .40 compact as a hog gun, you gotta be kidding," but let me explain. I bought my .40c for a conceal carry gun and it works just fine for that. I spend lot of time on three large ranches down here in South Texas and due to their remoteness and my being by myself much of the time, my .40c gives me additional peace of mind tucked away inside my waistband. I almost always have my 25-06 or my 7mm mag in the truck with me to take care of hogs and coyotes.

On two occasions this summer I wasn't carrying either one of my rifles when I drove around corners on ranch roads and saw hogs down the road a couple of hundred yards away. On the first occasion back in June, as I spotted the hogs before they spotted me, I decided to sneak out of the truck and see if I could stalk within shooting range of my .40c. When I got within about 100 yards of the pigs, I ran out of cover, but I was downwind and with luck on my side, the pigs slowly started feeding down the road in my direction. I froze on the edge of the brush with my .40c in hand and when the first pig got within 25 yards of me, I let loose with a 150 gr. Nosler JHP propelled by 7.2 grains of Herco powder ignited by a CCI 500 primer. The 70 lb. pig (great eating size) did not know what hit it when the Nosler impacted the area where the head and neck come together. I was already impressed with the accuracy and feel of this little .40 when I shot it at paper targets and now fully realized, or so I thought, the muzzle energy that the .40 had.

Last Tuesday morning as I was making the rounds without a rifle in my truck, I again encountered hogs about 200 yards down the road in front of me. I squeezed out of the truck with my .40c and slowly slipped and ducked between mesquite branches, guajillo and prickly pear until I was about 70 yards from the closest pig which was about a 150 lb. sow. I realized at this point if I tried to get closer she would see me and spook, so I decided to take the shot. I slowly took two steps to the left, clearing a low hanging mesquite branch and bringing the .40c up to shooting position. The sow turned and was facing directly toward me with her head down as she fed. I placed the front sight fully in the rear sight and aimed for the top center of her head and squeezed the trigger. To my astonishment, she hit the ground instantly also not knowing what hit her. As I approached her on the ground, there was a hole in her head slightly above and 1.5" to the right of center, her left, of being between her eyes. I then walked back to my truck in disbelief of what had just happened. I stopped at the spot where I took the shot from, grabbed my rangefinder and squeezed it at the downed pig. It showed 68 yards. Not bad for a conceal carry gun.

To say that I am impressed with my M&P .40 compact would be a gross understatement! Those 7-15 yard shots at paper targets when I practice should now be a "piece of cake", considering. :wink:

·
Registered
167 Posts

Wow, i just bought myself a .40 compact. When i brought it to the range i couldn't get it to shoot very tight groups. I still believe that it was the factory trigger and im hoping with a couple hundred more rounds that it will smooth out. (I am also a new shooter.)

Both of these stories tell me just how awesome this gun can be.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hogs!

Wow! Great shooting with the 40c! The last hog that I killed was with a 1911 .45 in San Patricio County. It was at about 30 yards. Of course shot placement is everything. The .40c should be a pretty good pistol for short range hog work. Go to " http://www.gunblast.com/ExtremeShock.htm " for an M&P hog hunting story and ammo review. Nothing is better than a whole side of hog ribs cooked over mesquite coals.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Good shooting.

I believe in the .40 also. I carry my full size .40 when walking in the woods among our black bear population without a second thought.

:twisted:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts