MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having shot around 200 rounds plinking around the house (I live out in the country, nearest neighbor is several miles away) I went to a public range today. My mission for the day was to quit anticipating the barrel rise after firing, I notices I have a real bad habit of flicking my wrists in a downward motion as I feel the trigger releasing the firing pin. So I was more after self disipline than after tight grouping today, so I used 10" paper plates for targets :roll:

I spent around 4 hours at the range, and shot anywhere from 10yrds to 25 yrds, and had a good time of it. Although I am still anticipating I did get alot more accurate as the day went by. I went through 400 rounds, not one FTE, FTF or magdrop...ever.

Monday I am going to run by Brownells and pick up some more mags, as well as some dummy rounds, and practice with random dummy rounds in my future range trips.

My only question, or maybe gripe is the ammo I was using seems pretty damn dirty. The front of my 40 is coated in grey powder, and not a lite coating either, its going to take some time to clean it up. The ammo I was using was Winchester 40 S&W 165 gr Full Metal Jacket.

My other rant is the state of the range, it was a trash heap. Why in the hell dont people clean up after themselves. It's a free range run by the state of Iowa in a park. I couldnt beleive the amount of spent brass, old targets, and trash all over the range. No wonder ranges are so hard to find around here, no one will take care of them. I am going to join a club in a nearish town giving me 24/7 access to a indoor range, but it would be nice to have a good outdoor range facility, looks like I may have to make my own.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sounds like you were shooting Winchester White Box.. It is pretty dirty ammo.. I quit using it.. I usually shoot Remington UMC or Federal American Eagle for target ammo..

But I agree about the dirtiness of outdoor ranges.. We have 2 nice ones around me.. Well.. They are 40 miles away.. They are in the Frances Marion National Forest.. They started cracking down on people taking trash out there.. And they have monthly volunteer clean up crews and a guy comes around once a week and picks up all the brass.. But the nicest outdoor range I had ever been too was in Fort Wayne, IN.. It was run by Indiana DNR.. They had a NRA Certified Range Master there... It was super clean and very very nice...

Ben

·
Registered
14 Posts
you are incredibly lucky to live in a place where you can shoot !!!!!!

here in phoenix there are 3 huge outdoor range complexes.

One is Dept Game & Fish owned and has about 30 independent ranges on the property, user group clubs run matches and events etc on most of them, the main range is operated as a public range and is well run and well maintained.

the other two are true member-based volunteer clubs, they each have a well run public range and 6 or 8 additional member/competition ranges.

I LOVE outdoor ranges, 110 degrees in Phoenix summer, no problem, put on the shooting jacket, glove, sling and lie down in prone position for another 20 shot string at 500 yds

there are also at least 3 commercial indoor shooting businesses in town (one uses the word "club" in the business name, but it is not a club at all), I don't care for such places at all, you can't concentrate on precision pistol shooting with a guy next to you emptying magazine after magazine for joy, and 50 to 75 feet does not provide satisfying rifle shooting in most cases.

a true member-based volunteer club is a GREAT asset, find one or more and JOIN and volunteer and be active!!!!

Poole

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem around here is this is a very rural area, so we do not have alot of choices of where to shoot. The nice thing is I can shoot on my property without endangering others. I do intend to purchase a few metal targets in the near future so I can plink anytime I wish and not have to play the shoot a clip, walk out and replace target, walk back, reload, shoot a clip etc routine.

The availability of ranges is next to none. I do have a range that is within 15 min of where I live but it's for professionals only. The next closest is 45min away and is a members only indoor range inwhich I plan to join....so I can shoot in the winter as well. The public range that I went to yesterday was well over an hour away, not really worth going to time wise, and especially because of the condition of the range. About the only option I do have is to eventually build a nice outdoor range on the property or try to get enough people together to build a public range locally. As a business owner, and a possble town council person, the last option probably wont work as I wouldnt have enough time to give that option the time it deserves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts