MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fired a gun before and just decided to purchase one for home protection. I checked out several handguns yesterday and the M&P felt the best in my hand by far. Would you recommend the M&P for a newb? What about a .40 as opposed to a 9mm? My buddy, who is taking me to a range to fire a couple of his Glocks tomorrow, thinks the 9mm isn't powerful enough and recommended a .40. The gun dealer I visited advised that I stay away from the Glocks because I'm a newb and thus might be a little too twitchy with the 5 pound trigger (he's probably right). Is the 6.5 pound pull a good middle ground for a newb? Anything else I should know before I buy?

Thanks for any advice!

P.S. The other guns I handled at the store were a Glock 22 & 23, a Sig Suaer 229, and a S&W .357 revolver.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just my .2 cents, but i think anyone who is new to handling and firing handguns, and is intent on buying a primary "house gun" should first invest in a good revolver loaded with low recoil, low penetration self defense ammo. IMHO, best of luck.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If I were you, I'd get a 9mm, but that's just my opinion.

nevrbvictim said:
Just my .2 cents, but i think anyone who is new to handling and firing handguns, and is intent on buying a primary "house gun" should first invest in a good revolver loaded with low recoil, low penetration self defense ammo. IMHO, best of luck.
"low penetration self defense ammo"...now there's an oxymoron. :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nevrbvictim said:

The dealer also recommended that I start with a revolver. The problem is that the revolver didn't feel nearly as good in my hand as the M&P did. I guess I'm thinking that in order to get comfortable with a gun, I should start out with one that feels comfortable in my hands. Also, I'd like to have a weapon that holds as many rounds as possible just in case all hell breaks loose and the villagers try to storm the castle...

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
absolutenewb said:
[quote name='choochboost']If I were you, I'd get a 9mm, but that's just my opinion.

Can you explain why you prefer a 9mm over a .40? Thanks![/quote]

Just a few minor considerations:

1) 9mm rounds cost less so theoretically it may translate into more shooting and training for you, which makes you safer and better shot.

2) The recoil of a .40 is snappier and some newbs have a hard time getting used to it. You can develop a flinch with 9mm as well, but there's a greater chance IMO with .40.

3) Are you married or have a girlfriend? For example, my wife loves to shoot 9mm but really doesn't like .40. IMO, having your wife/girlfriend learning to shoot with you is a good thing.

Like I said...just minor considerations.

nevrbvictim said:
did i just get called a moron? lol..
No Sir. In my mind shallow penetration and self defense go together like oil and water. :wink:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
absolutenewb said:
[quote name='choochboost']If I were you, I'd get a 9mm, but that's just my opinion.

Can you explain why you prefer a 9mm over a .40? Thanks![/quote]

9mm has lower recoil and yet still powerful ammo. I have both .40 and 9mm I use both depending on my mood. ammo for a 9mm is cheaper and a great starter gun IMO I am with the trumpster (choochboost) good luck and let us know your decision

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I just want to jump in again and agree with 101CV about the effectiveness of the 9mm. Many like to rip on it but it is still a major caliber capable of performing well in a self defense role with careful ammo selection.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
choochboost said:
I just want to jump in again and agree with 101CV about the effectiveness of the 9mm. Many like to rip on it but it is still a major caliber capable of performing well in a self defense role with careful ammo selection.

and everyone here knows chooch will recommend the winchester ranger t-series ammo :wink: :wink: (man I need a life)

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1 to what chooch said.

As noob gun owner, I'll tell you from experience that the M&P 9 is a great first gun. While I see the revolver-first advisors' points, IMO you'd outgrow it fast, if you get addicted to shooting like I think you will. That'd put you right back in the market looking at laying out another 4 or 5 bills for a semi-auto (less if you trade-in the wheel, of course), when you could've just started with an SA that is comfortable and economical to shoot. My two cents. FWIW...YMMV

·
Registered
308 Posts
I cast my vote for the M&P 9, mainly for the reason you already gave, "M&P felt the best in my hand by far". +1 What Chooch said...If you are comfortable with the gun in your hand, you will be more likely to practice with it. The 9mm is a good round and is still used by many, many professionals.

Use a good defensive round in it and you will not regret the decision (just buy your practice rounds from wally world, Winchester White Box, WWB, or Remington UMC, work for me. Keep you from going broke).

I agree with Chessie on the revolver question, I love my revolvers, but I would trade them in a sec in order to have a semi auto (fortunatley I don't have to...
)

Biggest thing to remember...enjoy it!

tsix

·
Registered
137 Posts
My first gun was a .357 mag and it's still fun to shoot. Something about a magnum sends a surge through me at the range, but I eventually bought a full size MP9 as my first semiauto and do not regret it. It's reliable, fun to shoot and easy on the wallet as far as ammo costs, which do add up. I now take this to the range more often than my magnum--even using .38 specials through the magnum gets expensive (BTW .38 special and .40 ammo costs about the same here).

My magnum is my main home defense gun, so anyone arguing about .40 over 9mm just goes in one ear and out the other. Nobody accuses the .357 as a poor man stopper, though the 9 would be effective as a home defense weapon.

Again .40 cal ammo costs 2-3 bucks a box more than 9mm at least. If you shoot 2-4 boxes per range session, lets say twice a month--this adds up.

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
and everyone here knows chooch will recommend the winchester ranger t-series ammo :wink: :wink: (man I need a life)
Not necessarily. :wink:

It's what I use, but I would easily carry HST and a few other loads, depending on the caliber. The problem is I've already stocked up on Ranger-T.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Go with the 40 cal. If you get an M&P the felt recoil from it isn't that bad. My couldn't shooting either my Beretta, or Taurus 40's, but dosen't mind my M&P. A bigger hole makes people die quicker. Assuming a well placed shot of course. My opinion only.

·
Registered
937 Posts
As a noob, I started off with 40cal in September of last year. I purchased a Sigma series, since it was inexpensive. The snap was certainly noticible compared to 9mm's I fired shortly after. Despite that, I ended up replacing the Sigma with a M&P40, since I already had plenty of ammo and was looking to reload. The M&P has noticibly less recoil than the Sigma.

The secondary consideration was the stopping power of almost any 40cal SD load. No searching for only the heaviest 9mm or +p ammo. I personally subscribe to the "middle road" between 9mm and 45ACP train of throught, but others differ in mind set. A few of your 9mm SD rounds are certainly man-stoppers, as are many 45's. The 40 is a middle ground for those wishing to take it.

I found that once I got used to the recoil on the 40, I could easily keep a 9mm on target.

One very important thing to remember about 40 cal factory loads.... The percieved recoil is very different between weights. A 180gr winchester load has more recoil than a 165gr Remington. I shoot 155gr reloads with relative ease, but need a bit more sight re-alignment time for 180's.

No matter which one you go with, you won't be sorry. They are fantastic firearms.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, the consensus here for a newb seems to be to go with the M&P 9mm, with a substantial minority advocating for the .40 caliber. The only reasons to not go with the .40 seem to be the cost of ammo and, more importantly, that the recoil may be too much for a newb like me to handle (please correct me if I got this wrong). I'll be firing the Glock 22 and 23 tomorrow and that may be my only reference point (although I'll try to rent an M&P at the range if they have one). Will the .40 caliber M&P have less recoil than the .40 caliber Glocks?

More generally, is there 9mm ammo that will drop someone as well as a .40 caliber round, or is it more like there is some 9mm ammo that is weak and some that is better, but a .40 caliber round will always come out on top?

Thanks again for all the advice!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
absolutenewb said:
The only reasons to not go with the .40 seem to be the cost of ammo and, more importantly, that the recoil may be too much for a newb like me to handle (please correct me if I got this wrong).
It's not that you wouldn't be able to handle it, its that the increased recoil may cause you to develop bad habits (as you try to compensate for the recoil) before you get a chance to master the fundamentals.

More generally, is there 9mm ammo that will drop someone as well as a .40 caliber round, or is it more like there is some 9mm ammo that is weak and some that is better, but a .40 caliber round will always come out on top?
To put it in the simplest terms, the .40 is a slightly bigger round than the 9mm creating a slightly larger wound channel and causing more damage. And similarly, the .45 is bigger than the .40. But the 9mm is more than capable of doing the job if you shoot straight.

When it comes to choosing a specific load, you can choose something from this list here:

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tact...c;f=78;t=000964

·
Registered
186 Posts
If 9mm isn't good enough for SD then neither is .40 :wink: they're not that different!

If you're getting M&P get a 9mm...Also consider Berertta 92fs great range and home deffence gun and IMO might be better for a newb because of DA/SA trigger (heavy first pull) you'll also learn how to use both DA and SA triggers. 8)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts