MP-Pistol Forum banner

M&P or Px4

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at buying a new gun. I chose .40 as it is cheaper to shoot than .45 and more has stopping power than 9mm. Anyway, I've narrowed it down to the Smith and Wesson M&P and the Beretta Px4. The advantages of the M&P are the 1 extra round and low profile sights (what seems to be Novak). The advantages of the Px4 are the SuperLuminova sights and optional 17-round mags.

I would like to see some peoples opinions on both these handguns. Please specify what you like about either of these two guns.

Edit: As a note both of these firearms are the same price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have an M&P40, so that would be my choice. You should go to a range and shoot both to see how they feel in your hand. Because handguns is all about what works best for you.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
no adjustable sights on the M&P, but in general I don't care for beretta at all, so that would make my mind up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
well i know were on the M&P site but im gonna go with the px4. i have the px4 in 9mm and the m&p in .40 and love them both. but i got the px4 for $20 cheeper and have had no problems. iv had a small problem with the m&p not feeding properly. i guess it just needs more time to break in or whatever. i grew up shooting beretta and am very comfortable with them, so maybe thats a factor too. but as stated above do whatever works for you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My very first handgun was the Beretta FS92 Centurion with the traditional SA/DA trigger. I have the traditional SA/DA on the Px4. My Walther P-99 has the traditional SA/DA trigger. I'm more familiar with this trigger system than any other plus I like the second strike capability that these triggers feature. With all that being said, the M&P is currently my favorite and my CCW gun and my nightstand weapon. Both are top quality handguns but I'm gonna give the nod to the M&P.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also starting to look at an FN FNP. My local dealer is supposed to get them in sometime this month, so I'll have to check them out.

Any opinions on this gun?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Shrike360 said:
Also starting to look at an FN FNP. My local dealer is supposed to get them in sometime this month, so I'll have to check them out.

Any opinions on this gun?

If this is the FN version of the Browning P9, I had one, I liked the feel in my hand, it shot like a champ, but financial considerations forced me to sell it...if I had it to do over again, I'd sell a kidney before parting with the P9.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Browning pro 40 (pritty much the same as the fnp) and holy crap its a real tac driver. Id rate it rite up there with the with my m&p or the px4. its got a sweet da/sa trigger that Id say is better than the px4. I like it so much that one of the next guns I will probobly be the fn fnp 9m which is a compact sized fnp9.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately, I can only look at the M&P and the Px4 at different times as they're in different shops. I may call and see if the shop that has the M&P and soon the FNP, has gotten the Px4 in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Shrike360 said:
Hi, I'm looking at buying a new gun. I chose .40 as it is cheaper to shoot than .45 and more has stopping power than 9mm. Anyway, I've narrowed it down to the Smith and Wesson M&P and the Beretta Px4. The advantages of the M&P are the 1 extra round and low profile sights (what seems to be Novak). The advantages of the Px4 are the SuperLuminova sights and optional 17-round mags.

I would like to see some peoples opinions on both these handguns. Please specify what you like about either of these two guns.

Edit: As a note both of these firearms are the same price.

I too have thought seriously about buying the Beretta PX4 storm pistol, but two things I didn't like. I have a CX4 storm carbine in 9mm, and the Beretta 92 mags fit it. But, guess what, if I buy a PX4 Storm pistol, I'd have to have different inserts installed (by Beretta) in the CX4 Carbine in order to use the PX4 mags. I didn't like that. Also, I assume you are looking at the "F" model of the PX4 Storm pistol (SA/DA with decocker/safety). I don't care for a decocker on any gun. Strictly my opinion. That is why I ended up buying the M&P 40. I also udnerstand that the PX4 pistol, using the rootating barrel design tends to torque away from the strong grip of a right-handed shooter when firing, which would tend to casue your shot to be off center.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own & shoot the M&P chambered in .40S&W, I have NOT shot the Beretta, but I have handeled one - it just didn't feel right to me, so I would have to give the knod to the M&P, just my $0.02 worth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts