MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally picked up an M&P in .40 yesterday. I've been expecting to get one sooner or later but I wasn't happy with the trigger on a lot of the ones I tried. I looked a few of the .40's yesterday and they had uniformly good triggers. Wish I could say the same about the .45 but thats another story. Anyway I just couldn't get over how good the pistol felt in my and so I had to buy it.

As an aside my background in pistols is widely varied due to the time I spent in the Marines and my own personal interests. I have mostly been a 1911, Sig and Glock guy and have been shooting since 1977.

So yesterday I sprayed it with Mp Pro 7, wiped it down, and cleaned the barrel. Lubed according to instruction and maybe overlubed a little bit since I would be breaking the pistol in. This also gave me a chance to get a good look at the inside and outside of the pistol. Looks very well made with good machining. The metal coating could be a little more even but its not bad. Doesn't hold up to the gold standard metal coating that Glock uses but since I'm in Arizona I don't have to worry much about rust. Still, I will be rubbing TW-25B grease into the metal as I do with my Sigs. It's an excellent rust preventative plus makes for a better looking finish. My usual cleaning regimen with be MP Pro 7 but every now and then I will drench it in Breakfree CLP to ensure no rust forms. Rail guides are wide on top but seem a little thin. I did not realize the pistol had a mag disconnect because when I was looking at it I was transfixed by the feel and trigger. Taking it apart was a little odd but no big deal. Liked the stainless guide rod and spring. I really like the Novak sights. They are my favorite sights on any pistol. The front post was very clear with plenty of light between it and the rear sights. I do really like the trigger. Could be a little smoother but is just fine out of the box. If I had to complain I would say I would like a more distinct reset like the Glock trigger. The magazines are very high quality and eject and go into the pistol with a nice solid click. Midway USA has them on sale for $30 so I ordered a few more.

Anyway today I bought 200 rounds of CCI Blazer 180 gain and headed to the range. I also had 40 rounds of 165 grain Gold Dot which is my carry load.

I'm a member at the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club which has all outdoor ranges. I setup a large target at 15 yards and commenced fire. I went fairly quickly through my first 15 round mags thinking as I was shooting that it sure didn't feel like I was shooting a .40! More like a +P 9mm. I was using the medium grip but brought the large grip with me in case it better fit my apelike hands. It turns out it did and I stopped thinking of the grip panels as a gimmick. :wink:

Here is my first couple of mags.

I wasn't trying real hard since my plan was to get a feel for the trigger, pistol and blow through a couple of hundred rounds for break in. Still I can see that this is a very accurate pistol when I do my part. After a hundred rounds or so I was firing an entire mag at about medium rapid fire and was easily making a less than fist sized hole in the paper. I have never had a pistol feel so natural the first time I shot it. The Gold dots shot well and I didn't have a single issue the entire 240 rounds. I did notice the takedown lever getting too hot to touch after rapid fire though so I had to alter my grip a little.

So its a keeper and more. I think my next one will be in 9mm so that my 12 year old son can shoot it. This is when the grips really come in handy as I can put the small grips on for him and the large ones for me. I will also get the .45 once they appear to be of consistent quality. I'm concerned that S&W's QC doesn't seem to be very consistent as the finish and triggers were different on all four .45s I tried yesterday. However it is a pleasure to buy American and from a company with such renowned customer support. The pistol is a real gem.

Footnote, did a good cleaning after shooting and the trigger and general pistol action such as slide movement feel much smoother. I had just bought a new Glock .40 that I had not fired yet and sold it as I think my future .40's will all be M&P. I expect this will be my new carry and home defense pistol so I'm planning holsters etc. I want to get a few hundred rounds more through it to be sure though. I'm a pretty big guy and can easily carry a pistol of this size with the right holster so the compact with the shorter grip holds no interest for me.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Put 100 rounds of Winchester White box through it today. Flawless operation. Very accurate. Also picked up two more mags locally at $39.95 each but I didn't want to wait. Used Eezox CLP which does a great job and lubed with a high quality gun oil. That Eezox is good stuff. I have seen two test showing it to be the best CLP for rust prevention. It also doesn't "bleach" the finish like CLP does on my Sigs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the range report. I also own the M&P .40 and the M&P 9 and love both of them. I also enjoy my Glocks and Sigs as well. My only difficulty with the M&P was with my 9mm and WWB. I had three FTExtracts during the first outing; however, no failures since then. You gotta love these weapons.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah they are really great. I'm picking up a 9mm and a .45 and then will most likely wait for the Pro versions.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put another 100 rounds through today with no issues except when I slam the mag in the slide is going forward. Just started today. Not the first pistol this has happened with and I'm not real concerned about it other than being careful. I have never been able to fire a .40 pistol so quickly and accurately. Also picked up a Safariland holster for it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I love my .40 Compact, i plan on buying a crap load of ammo for a ar-15 shoot comming up in washington. Even though i weight in a only 135 pounds, the gun is very controllable. It feels perfect in my smaller hands, especially with the pinky extension. (which i need to call SW to get a free one.)

I've put 300 rounds downrange so far with zero problems. I had the magazine bite my pinky really bad, but that is my fault. I have had a blast with my gun so.

I read about these poor guys with rust and magazine problems and i pray mine is of the majority that function flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Living in Arizona I don't generally have rust issues on anything but I'm keeping a close eye on it and using Eezox regularly. A compact would be nice but it's too small for my ape like hands. :wink: Actually the regular full size CCW's very well for me. I would love to have an M&P Pro in .40 for steel matches. These M&P issues some are experiencing are a reminder to me of how new this pistol really still is and how few issues there are with Glocks. But I shot a lot of Glock .40 and it does not compare to the M&P in .40.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts