MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...first post at the forum...long time lurker, though.

I've been interested in the M&P since I rented one at my local range a couple of weeks ago (a 9mm). I was back at the range today and rented the .40 and attempted to shoot some Sellier & Bellot 180gr ammunition through it. Well, on the first magazine, 12 of the 15 rounds failed to fire. I rechambered several of the rounds, most of them two or three times, and attempted to fire them again to no avail. I took the gun and ammo to the RO and he told me that there was an issue with S&B .40 ammo and the M&P. He said only the .40 ammo caused a problem, and I can vouch for that because I used about 200 rounds of S&B 9mm in the M&P9 with 0 problems. He said they had much harder than usual primers. I used the same ammo in a Sig and had no problems, though. He exchanged the ammo for 100 rounds of Fiocchi and I had no further problems. Not sure if this is just a specific lot problem or if it has always been like this.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? Thought it would be worth posting...

Oh, and the RO told me that S&B was now owned by Winchester? But it's still being manufactured in CZ...

·
Registered
298 Posts
S&B, military ammo like M882 and other hard primer ammo will sometimes have issues in striker fired pistols.

J

·
0 Posts
There is nothing aout it on Winchesters website.

There is nothing about it on the S&B web site.

Winchester 7.62X25 Metric Calibers White box ammo was reboxed S&B. Perhaps that is where he got confused.

I have shot two boxes of S&B 40 in my M&P with no problems. Winchester white box, on the other hand, has had a few FTFs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
S&B

I have put 100 rounds of S&B 40S&W through my M&P a few weekends ago. The only complaint I have about it was the red ring it left around my striker hole on the breach face (Dan blasted it a pretty stainless color) . I have not had any problems with any of the ammo I have used. I think I have used, if even small representatives of all the commercially available ammo in my area (and collection) with out any problems (except wolf, but I just don't have any to try, or I would have tried it).

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
You will occasionally run into issues with a particular brand of ammunition, that's why it's extremely important to throughly test any ammo that you might be carrying for defense. If one doesn't function properly, it's time to try something different.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
S&B although generally quality ammo, will occasionally ship a lot with REALLY hard primers.

combine that with a M&P that has a less than perfectly functioning striker, and you will likely have some issues.

Heck, I had a case of S&B 9 back when that had primers so hard, even my USP took 2 hits to set off quite a few of them and 3 on a couple, and it was fairing better than most other 9mms i was running the stuff through. A beat spring int he right place or some cruft in the firing pin channel can make it much worse though.

When I still bought commercial ammunition, I made it a point to have a few hundred rounds of the old case left over when I broke into a new case of ammo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts