MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - I'm in the process of developing loads for my M&P .40 for SSP/Production. How far down in PF can one go using the factory recoil spring without having extraction/ejection problems? I'm not trying to get uber-soft, I just don't want to shoot Major if I don't have to.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I can shoot 130pf without any problems my wife on the other hand need a 140pf to keep them from hitting her in the face. So I generally load mine 140-145 to keep her happy.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
FWIW, a good friend of mine and M-class IPSC shooter is switching from the M&P40 to the M&P9 for Production/SSP. In his experience -- and I haven't tried it myself -- the .40 Minor loads were slowing him down.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Todd - I have a lot of things slowing me down more than the difference between recoil characteristics of different bores at the same PF.
Trust me, Sevigny doesn't lose sleep worrying about coming up against me in a match!

I just loaded 200 rounds of 180 grain Hornady swaged bullets over 3.2 grains of Clays. It ought to make about 800 fps, around a 145 PF. We'll see how that works Thursday night.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rlbender01 said:
Was just wondering how your match (and Minor rounds) went?
Well, no match, but I did make it to the range today to chronograph this load.

3.2 grains Clays, Hornady swaged 180 grain FNs, Rem 1-1/2 primers, mixed brass, 1.12" OAL, average of ten rounds:

Velocity 764 fps, ES 33 fps, SD 10 fps, PF = 137. Close enough.

Accuracy seems good. I say "seems" because I was shooting into the sun at an hour before sundown, with lead bullets and no wind. That smoke was kinda bothersome - not much of it, but the sun magnified the effect. Enough of the bullets grouped close enough (~2" at 25 yards) for me to consider it good.

Leading was negligible, just a little at the beginning of the rifling. I could bump this load up and eliminate that, but these bullets are no longer available (discontinued), so I'm not going to mess with that.

No problem with function at all, but I've only shot it from the bench; I need to make sure the brass doesn't come back into my face when shooting offhand.

I'm going to pick up some cast 180s from my supplier and see how they work at that level as well. I'm guessing I'll have to bump the load up somewhat to keep the leading down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts