MP-Pistol Forum banner

M&P 40C - what a wonderful gun this is!

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Adam500 
#1 ·
Many of you already know this, but perhaps this will help spread the word to those who don't... the 40C is a really sweet little gun. I've been carrying mostly various 1911's over the years but recently desired a little higher capacity in my carry guns. I acquired a Glock 29 (compact 10mm - 11 round capacity) which I dearly love even if it does feel like a block in the hand. And recently decided to check out the G27, XD40 compact, and M&P 40C. My girlfriend and I went to my favorite toy shop and handled the G27 first... felt ok, nothing exciting. Then the XD40 compact... felt a little better to hold than the G27, but the gun has a higher bore axis, felt top heavy and a bit too bulky on top. Neither of these did much for my girlfriend, and didn't excite me much either. Then we held the M&P 40C. Immediate smiles on both of our faces... VERRRY good first sign... how great the gun felt in our hands. Excellent balance, nice low bore axis, points perfectly and just feels great.

We went home, did some reading up on other forums, read some reviews; read about how soft-shooting the 40C is for a small, lightweight .40 caliber gun (most likely due to the low bore axis and designed springiness of the frame) and I decided I wanted a little more potency (40) rather than a little softer shooting (9mm) so I bought the 40C.

Now around 400 rounds of various ammo into it (mostly Speer 180 gr. Gold Dots), I couldn't be happier with the decision. This gun is stone reliable, accurate, wonderfully easy and comfortable to shoot, pure simplicity to shoot (point and pull the trigger), decent and steadily improving trigger feel, great durable finish (black melonite over stainless), and good capacity.

Beyond that, the gun is available without a mag safety, and without any locks. All USA designed and built. Comes from a company (Smith & Wesson) with a lifetime warranty and the best customer service in the industry. Comes with two versions of mag bases... one extended a bit in front for comfortable finger hold, the other with a flat bottom for minimizing size. Also comes with three different palm swell choices to fine tune the fit of the grip to your hand. This gun gets a big thumbs up from me. No doubt I will be buying some more M&P's down the road.

As an aside... my girlfriend saw the little cotton handcloths I have around the house (on my desk, nightstand, dresser top, computer workstation, etc.) for setting my guns on and decided I needed some "proper" gun rugs to put my guns on while they're out and around the house, so she came home with this beautiful little gun rug for my desk... seen here being put to use. She's a thoughtful and sweet woman!

Here are some links of interest:

Links to Reviews

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/swmp15_022207/

Link to S&W’s Webpage for M&P’s

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/sto..._category=15708

If you're looking for a reliable, accurate, potent, small, lightweight, and affordable ($475 at my local toy store) defense carry gun with good capacity... this should be on your must-check-out list.

See less See more
#3 ·
Excellent and concise review DHart!! I 100% agree with everything you said!! I owned a G27 and I traded it in on the M&P .40c. No regrets whatsoever!! I firmly believe that the only thing keeping most people from buying the M&P pistols, is just because they have not held and shot one yet. Once you do that, most of the time, I think you will buy it. I love my .40c. "A total winner", INDEED!!

Very nice picture also!! It is for now my desktop picture!!

Ron

#4 ·
Excellent picture and sweet "Gun Rug". 8)

Every time test fire a 40 compact my wife has to monitor my orders for the next week so I don't try and sneak one on there.

I know I have no use for one but I just want one dang it. 8)

#5 ·

#6 ·
DHart your experiences echo my own. In fact, I wrote a review of the 40c elsewhere and may repost it here for everyone else's entertainment also.

My past three CCW handguns have been a Glock 23, an XD45 Compact and now the M&P 40c. I'm quite happy with the M&P and do not see myself letting it go anytime soon. In fact, my regret over having sold the Glock 23 is what lead me back to a local gun shop to look for a replacement. The XD45 was just a little too bulky for my preferences (although an excellent firearm) and I really wasn't even considering a S&W.

However, a S&W rep was on site at the gun store that day and asked me if I wouldn't at least give the 40c a look. I grudgingly agreed to do so and it didn't take very long at all for me to find myself saying "Glock? What Glock?"

The 40c is a perfect CCW firearm. It's between the size of the Glock 23 and the way too small Glock 27, and sits at the larger end of that spectrum. It's enough smaller than the Glock 23 that it's far easier to conceal, and the ergonomics are vastly superior. I'm a very happy camper.

Thanks for the review!

#8 ·
I am a man of little words...
But yes, I have enjoyed this topic and everyones imput.

#10 ·
No problem Ron, we will keep it our secret... I am from Western Idaho originally, on the Snake River where at on the coast are you?

#12 ·
Been there several times, I used to deer hunt up there in the Payette. I am from Caldwell, graduated 1985 from Vallivue HS.

#13 ·
ront said:
I live near Spokane, WA now. I grew up down by Payette, ID, right by the Snake also.

Ron

Man I miss WA. My wife grew up there. We recently went back to visit her father. I fell in love with the country there. Her dad owns alot of land near Spokane in Farmington. We plan on moving up there within a few months!!

Anyway,saw Spokane had to comment!!

#14 ·
We have pirated this post, but anything for the good old Northwest...

#15 ·
Morgan Walker, I don't want to keep on pirating this thread either, but have to say one more thing. I went to high school in Caldwell, pretty close to you. I graduated in 1978 from Gem State Academy, just a stones throw from Vallivue HS. Small world.

I do like the Spokane area. There is getting more and more of a problem with crime and gangs all of the time though.

finalfusion, give a holler if you are up this way.

Ron

#16 ·
Hey DHart, I see you haven’t lost your picture taking skills, I always looked forward to looking at those beautiful colt and smith revolver pictures and now awesome M&P photos as well

I agree with your impressions on the 40C but I also really like the 9c, I was very surprised by the very manageable recoil of the 40c when I first shot it.

#17 ·
Hey... thanks for the comments guys.

Gotta say, yes, I'm here in the Pacific Northwest too... in Washington State, just across the river from Portland, OR. This area is truly one of the finest places on earth. Great for shooting sports and for motorcycle riding!

Oh... as for the "gun rug"... they're originally intended as mouse pads, but make superb and elegant gun rugs... many designs available. Soon, I'll have four or five scattered about the house for my guns to hang out on. Available here: www.mouserug.com And I believe they're sold in stores like Borders as well.

#19 ·
I can't wait for this weekend...

I should have my 40c by Friday, then off to the range for a 250 round quality check, he he he... I can't wait... After my fun this weekend, both my fullsize and my compact are off to Dan Burwell, for stippling, trigger jobs and my fullsize will recieve a bobtail reduction.

#20 ·
PENS-66 said:
You guys are killin me,or should I say my wife is gonna kill me...All this .40c talk is giving me a serious itch to go out and buy one.I already have the 9c and love it! Now I gotta have the .40 too and then the .45c when it comes out :twisted:

Your 9c is lonely and needs a brother. The 40c is the ideal companion. Do you need directions to the closest gun store? :twisted:

#21 ·
Tungsten said:
Your 9c is lonely and needs a brother. The 40c is the ideal companion. Do you need directions to the closest gun store? :twisted:

Oh I know right where my local gun store is at.I go there at least once a week to drool all over their display cases.And you are absolutely right my 9c needs a brother! Must make this happen :twisted:

#22 ·
PENS-66 said:
[quote name='Tungsten']Your 9c is lonely and needs a brother. The 40c is the ideal companion. Do you need directions to the closest gun store? :twisted:

Oh I know right where my local gun store is at.I go there at least once a week to drool all over their display cases.And you are absolutely right my 9c needs a brother! Must make this happen :twisted:[/quote]

Tell your wife that those of us here in M&P-Pistol said it was OK for you to buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.