MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, today I brought home an M&P 45, serial MPK4***. I also own an M&P 40. Now when I got home and looked at it, I noticed just about right away that on the slide there are spots where it looks like the finish is wearing... and it's brand new. It looks like the finish is not very "thick" in some places.

The ejector and take down lever look pretty rough too. Have any of you guys ever heard of, or had this issue? The pistol is new but it almost looks used. I'm not sure if it's so bad that I'd send it off, but do you think S&W would re-finish it?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Alway check your gun before you take it (hind sight always 20/20 of course) call S&W they should send you a lable for return

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
This has been reported before on this forum regarding the early run of MP45s. I believe S&W will take care of it for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much guys. As for inspecting it, yeah hindsight is 20/20 but honestly just thought it was a little dirty. If you just look at, nothng jumps out at you, except the take down lever and extractor. Up close is when you notice the finish is a little thin in some spots. Otherwise, I'm happy with even though I haven't gotten it the range today.

Picked up some Blazer Brass today for $11.97/box, and that's as cheap as I've seen anywhere around here, including the internet. Now it's time to fill out my little slip for $50 rebate and two free mags. Anyways, thanks again.

·
Registered
380 Posts
it seems that alot of .45's have been that way.

when i got mine a onth ago, i had a weird spot where the finish looked like it was thick, like an extra drop of finish "ran"... and my extractor was slightly rough looking.

i thought "fark it"... i pointed it out to the dealer, who gave me a slight discount.... and i plan on sending it to burwell for a melt job and re-melonite anyway! so, yeah... i took it as an opportunity to haggle on the price tag.

but, anyway.... yes, I've seen ALOT of the .45's coming out with strange quirks in the finish.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have an MPR serial number prefix and I have an inconsistent finish and a rather ragged extractor. I had to send it to Smith and Wesson for a new barrel (out of spec) and told them about my finish concerns; however, they did not refinish nor did they replace the extractor. Long story short, they replaced the out of spec barrel and shipped the pistol. So, it appears that the inconsistent finish is not a warranty issue. Just my experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have an mpu serial and the finish is relativly fine until you get to the front of the slide on the left...it looks a little like a thick spot but besides that i ain't worried. i bought it new for $410 plus got $50 off that with 2 free mags.so i ain't complaining.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the insight guys. Whenever I do decide to refinish it, I may end up sending it off to Burwells or something instead of S&W anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. I got out and shot it on Christmas along with my 45 Colt Mtn. Gun, and it's a great shooter, no doubt! It will be carried and it will get wear marks on it one way or the other, I'm certain of that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts