MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can say only one thing:

"OH MY !!!!"

I got to the range with my two latest acquisitions (we'll talk about the other some other time). I brought 10 rounds of commercial hardball (just in case) and about 250 rounds of my 200 grain, LSWC "match grade" handloads. I hand-cycled a couple mags of my handloads through it at home to make sure they would feed OK.

OH MY !

What a GREAT shooter. It took the handloads like there was no tomorrow. Not a single FTF or FTE. The sights are right on - POA is POI at 7 to 15 yards. With my match load, I had to aim about an inch high at 25 yards.

Percieved recoil was the most amazing discovery. I never would have guessed I was shooting a 45 ACP. Double taps are a dream. 10 rapid-fire shots are a dream. I think I'M dreaming.

The trigger is better than I expected. I can't wait until it breaks in. DAMN ! I was so excited about going to the range I forgot to measure the trigger pull. :roll:

What a great gun. Two LEO's were in the stall next to me trying out some Glocks. They were young, I'm guesssing right out of the Academy. We started talking about guns and I asked them if they wanted to try the M&P; they said "Sure!" They loved it too and were quite upset that they HAD to buy a Glock per department regs.

FINAL VERDICT: I am VERY pleased; darn near ecstatic! (and that ain't easy as I can be a real prick!) :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah, I just got myself a 45 for my birth day and man is it awesome!!!

After owning a 40 (I was the first person at my local shot to own one), I couldn,t wait to get a 45. Got out to the range loaded it up, aimed it, and pulled the trigger!! what do ya know, the thing feels like it has less recoil then my M&P 40, go figure!!!

great gun, only issue i had was ammo(blazer's), but after shooting WWB no FTF or any issues!! This gun shoots like a dream.

It is hands down the best poly frame 45 I have ever put my hands on and trust me i have shot them all!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had mine for almost a month. I has never hiccuped. I have fire WWB, Winchester Ranger SXT, Fed Hydra shock, all 230 grain, with no issues.

It has also digested about 4 different types of handloaded bullets in 230 and 200 grain with no issues.

Now, if I could just do something with that damned trigger pull!
( I have only shot 1911's in .45 ACP prior to this gun)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
This is why I have two of them and I'm thinking of getting the OD green if I can find someone to remove the thumb safety and plug it. I broke in my first one by putting 250 rounds through it rather quickly in one session. I can't think of another pistol I could put that many rounds through in very short order and not feel a thing afterwards. I have never shot a .45 that i could shoot as quickly and accurately without shifting hand or trigger grip. I have put all kinds of ammo through it without a bobble.

dino92g said:
I can say only one thing:

"OH MY !!!!"

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I shot mine for the first time today as well. Since I'm a diehard 1911 shooter, I wasn't expecting much, but I have to say I'm very pleased with the M&P 45. Shot my 200 gr cast SWC ammo mostly, and had one mag. that didn't want to feed'em all the time. The other two mags were fine. Accuracy at 25 yards was pretty good. Six shots into 2-1/2", off of sandbags. Can't expect much more out of gun like this. I can see that I'll be shooting it alot. It was shooting about 2" low and about 1-1/2" right for me. But I'll be shooting it at closer yardage for the most part. I've held off for a long time on buying a polymer, didn't like the Glock or XD. I'm glad I waited as the M&P feels good, shoots good and amazingly handles well for me. I still love my 1911's, but I'm gonna' be using this one alot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
45guy said:
Dino, now tell us what you really think of that new .45!

Well . . . over the weekend I made another 500 rounds of 200gr SWC's! :wink:

I shot it in an IDPA stage last Saturday - a hanging bowling pin shoot. We shot at 25, 20, 15 & 10 yards. For score I shot my Beretta 96 Vertec and did well - second place overall - got beat by 3 seconds for 20 hits using whatever # of shots you needed. I did a re-entry with the M&P and beat my IDPA gun score by 4 seconds! I had more first shot hits than with the 40. I had trouble with one pin - it took 6 shots to hit it. 29 shots total with the 45; less than with the 40 :roll:

The best thing? My 40 load is a light, easy to recover from, 170 grain, moly semi-round nose, very accurate load. It would hit the pins and you would know it. When I hit the pins with the SWC 200 gr out of the 45 - HOO-BOY - did they fly! Hee, hee, hee - heavy metal! :twisted:

I love shooting the 40 in competition and I carry a 40 as well, but there ain't NUTHIN' like sending a 45 ACP down range!

I tell ya - the thing is a natural shooter!

I have a Kimber Eclipse Target II that puts my match load in 3/4" groups at 25 yards. I know the M&P isn't going to touch that, but I will get it on a rest eventually to see what it can really do.

This Friday night my two oldest boys (home from college) and I are having a range night. The oldest bought the M&P 40 when I got my 45. He's a Beretta fan too and has several, but called me and THANKED me repeatedly after he took his M&P to the range for the first time. I plan to shoot it this Friday. It will be interesting to compare it to my Px4 40.

I tell ya, S&W has a hit on their hands with the M&P 45!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts