MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two M&P .45's. My first one has always been a little trouble getting the slide off. Now its very difficult to get it off. I have to push and pull and all sorts of things to get it to come off and it's not easy to get on either. I think there is an issue with the slide/receiver fit. My second M&P .45's slide comes right off and on as did my M&P .40. Also when I hold the top of the slide and the bottom of the light rail with two fingers and squeeze I hear a 'clacking' sound like parts are coming together. This does not happen on my other M&P's. It looks like I need to call S&W but they are not open again until 7 Jan. Anyone else seen this? The problematic .45 shoots just fine btw.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Try this on the difficult pistol, depress the striker safety and press the striker forward (where it would normally fire). Now, see if the slide will slide on without hassle. If it does then you have an out-of-spec barrel. My M&P had the reassembly issue and when I sent it back to S&W they simply replaced the barrel and all was well.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one does do. My second .45 is MPS and has a slightly better fit and finish than the MPR plus a much better out of the box trigger.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do you have thin spots on your finish and a chewed up extractor by chance? Mine does and I mentioned it to S&W during my return and nothing was done to remedy the cosmetic issues. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem. I did notice that if I pushed the recoil rod and spring down harder when assembling it was less of a problem getting the slide on but still rough. I think the barrel/spring/rod fit is not right. Smith service doesn't open again until the 7th and I'm going to Chicago that day and all week so I don't know when I will get it to them. I also shot it again and it runs like a champ and still very accurate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts