MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The High Road gun forum has a thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=309297, reporting that a M&P 45 was having consistent failures to feed the last round of a magazine. Several other posters indicated this was a common problem.

Thought I bring this to the attention of the group that should know best. Is this FTF an issue with the gun? Are there any other problems with the M&P 45?

It would be unfortunate if true, since I just tried a M&P 40 at my range and absolutely loved it. Very accurate, controllable, and fits my hand like it grew there. I was only days away from trundling down to the gun store and ordering a Dark Earth M&P 45. Should I wait - or forge ahead knowing this is likely an uncommon occurrence?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Reading the thread you posted, I see one person reporting a problem, one person saying "yeah I've heard of that" and one guy saying he's had no problem.

There are any number of reasons why that one person might be experiencing those problems. It's certainly possible there is something wrong with the gun. Just like buying a car, even the most reliable brands and models have the occasional problem. It's also certainly possible that a problem like the one being reported could be caused by improper maintenance, out of spec ammo (poster didn't indicate whether it was factory or homemade), improper technique, or all sorts of other things.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You need to understand that half of the people trash talking on the various boards are barely old enough to shave and know next to nothing about handguns. There are exceptions of course. Once in a while you do see somebody with a legitimate problem but the legitimate posters are usually looking for answers. That's what sets them apart from the noise.

The 'Glocks suck', 'Colts suck', 'Kimber's suck' postings are generally done by the clueless seeking attention. There are also the posters who's brother's wife's aunt's neighbor's friend read on the Internet that the Wiz-Bang 9000 always explodes in your hand - and they of course pass the rumor on. Finally there are the 'codgers'. If John Wayne didn't carry (fill in the blank) in at least one movie then it must be a communist plot and they wouldn't be caught dead carrying one. :wink:

I suspect that in this case ToddG is right on the money. I'll let you know in 11 days. That's when I'm supposed to pick up mine. 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, mine does the same thing. Every 3rd top 4th mag, the last round will fail to feed exactly like what has been previously reported here. Dave Bowie has reported on another thread that he had a couple in his shop for the same reason, and was solved by relieving the lower edge of the extractor. I have mine at Dan Burwell's shop for some work, and he's taking a look at it. I don't think this is an isolated problem. http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7703

·
Registered
79 Posts
Over 1200 rounds never happened to my M&P45

·
Registered
308 Posts
glocker said:
Im up to 3,000 rds now and I would like to say NOT ONE SINGLE FREAKING PROBLEM,

I love this gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GlockTalk is gonna disown you...

I have roughly 1k thru my .45, not a single issue. Hate to hear that there may be one, this is such a great handgun. I too believe that the few vocal folks are going to be the ones with the problems, I would rant also if my new, possibly SD, gun didn't work right. However, most people buy the gun, shoot them, everything works and we never hear from them. Kinda like the Glock KB thing, blow up a few guns in peoples hands, and they get excited. Glock fixed the problem but years later we still hear that Glocks KB. Go figure.

I say buy one and shoot the snot out of it. If in the unlikely event it does not work perfectly, S&W will fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to hear that this isn't a prevalent problem, and if it does appear, there is an accepted fix.

I'm very close to placing the order. I shot the M&P.40 and liked it, nay, LOVED it! However, a gun-nut buddy urged me to take a hard look at the Springfield XD .45. We've been shooting together forever and he's rarely steered me wrong (the exception being that .44 Mag Super Blackhawk that I couldn't hit the side of a planet with), so I'm going to check it out. That means I have to go back to the range and shoot some more. Awwwww.

Complicating matters further is that never fired 2nd Gen G-20 that followed me home last week.... The WATF (Wifey Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms) is objecting.

Thanks again. This is truly a great site!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts