MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmmmm, you know who this is Kel. Where did you get the bbl? And can I get a different end cap for my Blackside with a RH thread? When the M&P .45 comes out it may be time to unlead my Tac.

Larry in Tucson

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Very cool! This is a dumb question, but I have never witnessed a silenced firearm in person. In relative terms, how loud is a suppressed .45?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dry, a little less than the threashold where you need ear pro. Maybe a little less than a .22 Wet, with a very small amount of water (not usually recommended because water and the gas make acid) or a non flamable oil like a squirt of Ballistol fairly quiet. But the only suppressed gun that is "movie quiet" is a suppressed subsonic .22 .45 suppresses well because most .45 ammo is already subsonic so you don't get the sonic crack down range. Although you can get 147gr 9mm that suppresses nicely. The real benifit to suppressors isn't that they "silence" a gun, they just eliminate the need for ear pro making it more confortable and fun to shoot. I really like shooting suppressed simply because of you are "dirt shooting", you can shoot without attracting a lot of attention and again, don't need ear pro. For tactical purposes, shooting with a can eliminates the flash of the shot protecting the shooters position. Sadly, many SWAT officers get permamnet hearing damage because the employ short entry guns in enclosed spaces. Their departments won't let them use cans because they aren't politically correct. It sucks because shooting an SBR in a small space will trash an officers hearing for life. Some departments get it and have a genuine concern for their officers well being. But many departments are more concerned with appearences than the health of their officers.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I've had the opportunity to be around several different suppressed firearms in the last 4 or 5 years, the thing I find most interesting is the 22 pistols with a suppressor, there are several guys with the Walther 22 and a suppressor, those things just kind of go fffttt, but even the AR's and some of the sub machine guns are quieted down nicely.

It's kind of silly to have all the restrictions on them, in many countries you can buy suppressors over the counter with no restrictions, they make the noise level more socially acceptable, a big advantage if you are shooting where noise might be a problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm a fan of supressed weapons, don't own one myself since I'm 20 and a student, heh...

I was wondering if you are a LEO, do you have to pay taxes and have to wait for the supressor?

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
robotizing said:
I'm a fan of supressed weapons, don't own one myself since I'm 20 and a student, heh...

I was wondering if you are a LEO, do you have to pay taxes and have to wait for the supressor?
For personal use, yes. When I was a Deputy Sheriff we had Ruger AC556 carbines, that's the select fire version of the Mini 14, the Sheriff decided he wanted to get one for his personal use, he went through the same process than any civilian would go through to get one. The AC556 is the only full auto carbine that I have personally fired, we had a Thompson Sub Machine Gun in our weapons locker, but I don't think it was ever fired in the years I was there.

·
Registered
910 Posts
dblagent said:
I would recommend a .22 suppressor to anyone, or any suppressor really. The .22 is the one that will hook you though. The paperwork is not as bad as it sounds while looking on the web. I stopped in at a class III dealer and asked if he had any in stock and he did - 2 minutes of looking later I purchased it and he had the paperwork ready for me in about 5 more. Then a trip to a passport photo place for two quick photos, trip to police station for fingerprints and dropping off for the chief to sign. 3 days later that was done and then I sent the papers to the dealer +money order, he submitted to ATF for me. About 39 days later it was back! Used to be about 6 months I hear, no such wait nowdays, and this was my first class III purchase and it was easy and pretty quick.

Cheap and quiet to shoot. Under $400 total including the $200 to the ATF was not bad to me! I have the TAC-65.

Your dealer sucks.
My dealer takes your pictures for you, electronically writes out checks to the BATF, does your finger prints, does the forms, and even has the CLEO sign the form's. I bought a Tac62 and Tac16 and had all the paperwork done minus the CLEO signature within 35 minutes. Now I'm playing the waiting game!

But seriously dealers like our's rock. It's one's where you walk in and ask to buy suppressors and they just hand you some forms and walk off that suck. I had one place do that. Probably because I'm 21, and look 18. My regular place loves taking my money though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts