MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On M&P's lube preference, does the M&P like it to run dry or more into the wet side? What's optimal?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like to run all new guns wet for the first 500 or so rounds. I now use Weapons Shield for a lube.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually I like to lube my guns till I got splattered with oil when shooting it. I followed the manual, it sure did splash some on my face.

Perhaps it's a good idea to run it wet while during the break-in period, first 500 rounds or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put a decent sized drop of oil where the manual says to and have no problems.

However is there anywhere else I should or could add a drop for better break in?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I just put a little lubrication where the manual recommends.

My barrel isn't Melonite finished, so I also make sure to have a thin sheen of oil on it, especially at the locking surface:

Every time I hear people say "a drop of oil," I hear the voice of George Harris (Director of the SIG Academy) in my head. He'd immediately ask you, "How much is a drop?" George's recommendation, which I've used with great success for years, is to put enough oil on the surface so that you can see it's oiled, and if you touch it you leave a light fingerprint in the oil. Any less and it's not lubed; any more and it's probably just going to run off the gun.

For extended shooting sessions you might want a little more lubrication, but I haven't found my M&P to need it. Remember, excess that comes off/out of the gun was just wasted oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My barrel isn't Melonite finished

I thought the M&P is melonited. Your barrel seems stainless?

Mine seems to wear evenly across the top while yours seem to be more on the left side.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
gudel said:
I thought the M&P is melonited. Your barrel seems stainless?

Mine seems to wear evenly across the top while yours seem to be more on the left side.

My barrel isn't a standard M&P barrel. Smith made a few barrels in different configurations for people to try out, and I have one of those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts