MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Joined the boards just now because I've got a question about the positioning of the thumb safety on the M&P 45. I learned to shoot on a Model 1911A1 and am always most comfortable griping the pistol with my thumb riding on top of the safety. I'm just wondering if anyone that uses that type of grip has fired the M&P 45 with the thumb safety. I haven't had the chance to hold one yet myself and, from looking at photos, it seems the thumb safety might sit just a bit too far to the rear for that grip to be comfortable... Has anyone got any hands-on experience to share on the subject?

(Sorry if this has already been touched on previously but when I scanned the post titles I didn't see any that looked like it covered this.)

Thanks,

-Andy

·
Registered
559 Posts
Andy - Welcome to the Forum! (From a relatively new guy myself.)

I bought the .45 with the safety due my familiarity with the 1911, and with my grip, my thumb rides below the safety on the S&W. Holding the two guns next to each other with the bottom of the trigger guards even, the safety on the S&W is a good half-inch or more higher than on the 1911. If you line up the bottom of the beavertails, though, the safeties are about the same place. There's not that much of a shelf to lay your thumb on - about the same as a Series 70 Colt safety.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chuck,

The side-by-side comparison was really informative as well as the info about the width of its surface. I'd love to get some hands-on time for myself - Have to see what I can do about that.

Any other stories out there?...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was just handling one earlier tonight and I find the thumb safety to be narrower (as previously compared to a Series 70) and my thumb rested a tad higher than a 1911 thumb-ride grip when the safety was disengaged. Also, I feel there is less of a "throw" than with a 1911A1 thumb safety AND less resistance which makes me think it has a higher propensity to get knocked off - thus being in the "OFF Safe" position. Lastly, that safety protrudes considerably from what I've come to admire about the M&P ergonomics. It's seemingly out there "flappin' in the breeze" when compared to a 1911A1 which is more incorporated into the design of the weapon.

Please understand, I come from the 1911A1 school and the M&P is my first serious deviation from that school. My opinion stands - I simply don't feel a thumb safety is warranted on the M&P line of pistols. If I were to purchase a M&P45, it'd be just like my M&P9 - without any internal, magazine or thumb safeties.

jm2c

-B

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree with Boris regarding the safety. Don't feel that you need one on this type of pistol. I too am a die-hard 1911 man. I've got a M&P45 coming and it'll be a new experience, sans any safeties, and plastic to boot! I couldn't resist it any longer as I want a "da 45" to play with. Been shooting handguns for 40 years and never thought I'd end with a plastic gun.....Jeez, even when I was a kid in the 1950's, the cap guns were made out of metal! What the hell is this comin' too.........

·
Registered
464 Posts
Positive proof if 1911 owners like the M&P.45 it's good stuff! Picky snots we are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info, guys!

I appreciate all the insight... I guess like with any pistol, it'll come down to how it feels when it's in my hand - Hopefully I can take one for a test-drive at my local club sometime soon.

-Andy

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too like to fire my 1911's with my thumb riding on the safety. I tried it on my M&P 45 and it was not comfortable. In fact it was a bit painful. I did not bother to find out why, I just quit doing it. It felt like something was slapping my thumb.

I miss my thumb rest, darn it! I have to try and figure out how to handle this situation. I have shot that way for so long that it does not feel right to not do it. My thumb instinctively seeks out a resting place. I have to consciously force myself to remove it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shot a friends M&P 45 w/thumb safety and like it just fine. I have rather large hands (XX large glove) so factor that in. The safety is why I would buy the M&P, only I'm holding out for the M&P Pro9... if it ever comes out. Traded my M&P 9 for another Glock because the mag safety drove me to distraction at competitions. I know I can order one w/o it but figure at this point I'll wait until the pro comes about.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Damon said:
Forgive my ignorance but just what is a mag safety exactly?
A mag safety prevents the pistol from firing when the magazine is removed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts