MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M&P 45 4.5 with regular and threaded barrels. I also have a M&P 9.

The 9 has a decent trigger that is useable. It breaks a little ahead of the over travel stop, but again it is usable. Trigger weight averages about 6.2 pounds.

The 45 is a different beast all together. It breaks right at the over travel stop. If you put a paperclip between the trigger and the stop it will not break. Weight averages around 11.9 pounds. I think some of the weight may come from it touching the over travel and basically bending the trigger in the middle.

I wanted to do a APEX kit for it, but read that it moves the overtravel back. If anything i need to go forward 1-2 tenths of an inch. I have read about it possibly being a MA compliant gun. I will get the SKU off the box tomorrow.

I am eyeballing the trigger bar and wondering if there is any adjustment that can be made there.

The 45 is basically worthless as it is. I shoot double action revolvers alot, but cant shoot this one without the front sight being pulled to the right. Up and down strings are about 1 inch, but left to right (all right of the bullseye) string about 6-8 inches. The 9 shoots about 1.5 inches at 15 yards all day long.

I am hoping someone has had this issue and found a way to resolve it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Factory spec on these guns is 6.5 pounds but I have heard of .45s being heavier, one of mine was 7.5. If it is not a Mass compliant gun I'd call S&W and sent it back for service. That sounds not just heavy but faulty to me.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Sounds like you need to open up the trigger bar loop that contacts the sear. Opening it slightly but in very small steps. I would do this prior to purchase or installation of other parts.

Be certain to get an Apex Sear for the 45 as the 9/40/357 sear would exagerate the loop problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you TOF. I found a video from Apex on how to do that and sure enough it helps a bunch. I am still going to get a apex kit, but it gives me peace of mind that it will work.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I too had the same problem. I simply installed the Apex DCAEK kit and it solved the trigger pull problem. I would recommend getting the Apex RAM for M&P45's when it becomes available. It will give you a more audible trigger reset as well as a few other fail safe features.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have a M&P 45 4.5 with regular and threaded barrels. I also have a M&P 9.

The 45 is a different beast all together. It breaks right at the over travel stop. If you put a paperclip between the trigger and the stop it will not break. Weight averages around 11.9 pounds. I think some of the weight may come from it touching the over travel and basically bending the trigger in the middle.

I am hoping someone has had this issue and found a way to resolve it.

Just wondering how old it might be ? I have an older model with zero issues. It this a newer model ? I was thinking about getting a mid size and wondering if the newer ones might have an issue.
Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts