MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well sent off the 45 to S&W and told them what the deal was.......man they were extremely helpful and their warranty is top notch....they basically swapped out slides for me, took the pistol to the range today and put about 250 rounds down the pipe...mixed it up FMJ,HP, +Ps was sliding the mag in easy and then slamming it home(just to test it out )......not once did it slide forward on its own....this gun rocks and so does S&W, I will definately keep giving them my money

·
Registered
77 Posts
Actaully thats pretty common with polymer guns. Almost all Glocks do it as well. it's really not a problem as long as your sure a round is chambered in an emergency.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm someone on another board told me its normal....just doesnt seem right to me, I have read the manual and it says nothing aboutthe slide slamming forward automatically with a full mag......can any other M&P owners confirm this as well? thanks for the answers in advance

·
Registered
93 Posts
I put 200 rounds through my new M&P 45 last week and I had no issues like you describe. Not on my 40C either that has about 600 rounds in it. Nor any of my Glocks.

Call S&W and ask.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
choochboost said:
It is common and happens in many guns. Some consider it a feature. :wink:

I second or third the motion. It is a common feature of many pistols.

Enjoy. :twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont know...I have never ever had it happen to ANY of my guns that I have ever owned...glock, sig, HK or so on....if this is NORMAL it should be in the manual...will be calling S&W tomorrow

·
Registered
495 Posts
I wish mine would do it all the time instead of most of the time. Can't do a reload any faster than the slide closing on its own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There have been quite a few threads on this topic on this very forum. Not just 45s. I've had it happen with Sigs, Glocks, M&Ps and Berettas. Never seen it happen with 1911's though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting...thanks guys I appreciate all who have chimed in and answered...I will call S&W and let you all know what they say as well.......other than that one issue(well an issue for me) I had no beef with the pistol it ran 100%

·
Registered
5 Posts
FTF Problem with M&P 45

Just bought my M&P 45 a few weeks ago. Love the weapon, but I have a problem with it that I can not understand. First of all the trigger feels "gritty" like it has sand in it. Are all the M&P 4 triggers this way? But my biggest problem is I have failure to feed on the last round. It's fine 1-9 but on that last round it won't feed. I thought it was maybe a bad mag. so I switched to the other one , and same problem. Any ideas before I send it back to smith? Anyone else have a problem like this? I can't even get through a box of 50 without this happening at least 3 or 4 times.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Page 17 of the manual, second warning in red:

WARNING: DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE UPWARD

FORCE WHEN INSERTING A LOADED MAGAZINE

INTO THE PISTOL. EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE

COULD CAUSE THE SLIDE TO MOVE FORWARD,

CHAMBERING A ROUND AND MAKING THE PISTOL

READY TO FIRE.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It's very common and every Glock, H&K and now S&W that I've owned has this "feature".

However, you shouldn't rely on it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this happens when inserting a mag fast and it happens when inserting a mag slow....I tried both ways with both mags...to me thats not normal.

ok called this morning....gotta say their customer service was very helpful and they are paying for all shipping(very nice) told the tech what was going on and his words were.....no that is NOT normal, it is not a feature and should be sent back as soon as possible....said they will check it out and better to be safe than sorry doesnt want me having a slam fire or anything.....so there is the word, as soon as the box comes in I will ship out and keep you all informed....thanks everyone

ok just called back...had a weird feeling and said let me ask another tech to see if I get the same answer....I didnt lol 2nd tech told me its absolutely normal and it is a feature...lolol and that most cops love it....man its 50/50 here oh well I was told if I dont like that send it in and they can see what they can do to accomodate....that to me is good service

·
Registered
54 Posts
My opinion is that it is not normal, but that it doesn't mean that something is broken. I believe it has a lot to do with the strength of the recoil spring assembly, holding the slide back, the notch in the slide were the slide stop rides, the slide stop itself and the amount of force in inserting the magazine.

This has never happened to me with any of my semis, but i don't agressivly pound my mags into the mag wells.

Dennis

·
Registered
937 Posts
survivorman: I don't think the first tech was wrong. Since it seems almost all of the Polymer guns do it when you slam the mag home, it's a design thing, probably the flex of the blocks against their roll-pins and flex in the slide-rails. It doesn't have to be much. What is NOT normal is for it to go to battery if you put it in gently or with normal force. That would have me wondering if there's not something loose or cracked that is allowing excess play, which is what the first tech you talked to is likely concerned about. The second tech might have confused the slam-mag issues, I'm sure they hear plenty about, with your issue of gentle or normal mag-insertion.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts