MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have shot the above. Can you give me a comparison as far as, felt recoil, how did they fit your hand, and finally bringing the sights back down on target after discharging a round. I own a M&P40 and have no doubts about the quality of the gun, I also own an XD9sc and have shot a Glock 30 (Compact 45). I really want to buy a 45 striker pistol, just can't decide.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Never shot the Glock but as to the M&P/XD. Recoil is less apparent with the M&P. The barrel sets much higher in relation to the grip with the XD allowing the pistol to rock back at a higher radius. The M&P is just straight back. I like my M&P 45 a lot but it is picky about what you feed it. It does not really like the big wide mouth hollow points.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30378 said:
Never shot the Glock but as to the M&P/XD. Recoil is less apparent with the M&P. The barrel sets much higher in relation to the grip with the XD allowing the pistol to rock back at a higher radius. The M&P is just straight back. I like my M&P 45 a lot but it is picky about what you feed it. It does not really like the big wide mouth hollow points.

Thanks. What ammo do you feed it then

·
Registered
184 Posts
It shoots really well with handloads and 200gr Rainier semi-wad cutters, hardball, round nose flat points, and hollow points that have some taper to the shoulder.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I really like the 21SF. I am partial to Glocks and their .45's are very accurate pistols. Fit and finish quality are very consistent and I would like to see the M&P series as good. Tennifer finish beats Melonite as well. Plus it's very easy to detail strip a Glock and do your own work on it. They have been well proven over the years and have thousands of accessories. Recoil on the 21SF is not bad at all. Love the Glock trigger reset. But you do feel like you need something to help you hang onto the grip in rapid fire. Glock 21 SF carries 3 more rounds and it's parts and accessories are cheaper.

The M&P .45 is very soft in recoil and the beavertail helps muzzle rise. It also has a very low bore axis like the Glock. I think it's a better looking pistol as well. I like the M&P triggers comfort. It is very accurate. I can rapid fire accurately better than any .45 I have shot or owned. Ergonomics are unsurpassed by anything else I have seen. Customer service is very good. Glocks isn't bad but not as good as Smith.

The XD doesn't do a lot for me. I understand why people like it but it's not for me. High bore axis, features I don't want or need like grip safety. Spare parts are not available. Any issues and it has to go back to Springfield. I don't like the long grip but thats how they got 13 rounds in there. It's ugly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
30378 said:
It does not really like the big wide mouth hollow points.

I've only shot hallow points through my MP45 and I never have

had an issue. Over 2000 rounds of Federal D.

·
Registered
61 Posts
M&P ? Glock? or XD

At the present time I own both M&P 45's as well as several XD 45's. I have also owned all the Glock 45's. Of the Glock's I liked the model 30 the best. I had several Glocks mis fire with Cheap Factory ball ammo. When I called Glock they said it was the cheap ammo. The ammo in question was Rem UMC and WWB. None of my other brand 45's had ever mis fired with this ammo. I think the Glocks are good guns but I lost faith in the striker fired pistols until I tried a XD. I now have several XD"S and none of them have ever misfired. I think the XD may have a little heavier striker spring. I know there is one after market supplier that offer's a slightly heavier striker sprin for the Glock and I understand it works great and affects trigger pull very little. Now the M&P. I like this gun cause it is made in the USA by one of the finest arms maker period. No one offers the customer service that S&W provides. The M&P has the three palm swells which makes the gun fit about anyone. I have two of these and both shoot great. The only real problems is that some of the magazines are a bear to get the 10th round in and then it takes 2 hand to get the mag into the gun. Some mags don't have this problem. Another point of intrest is my second M&P when you put the slide back on the gun it is very snugg on the front 2 rails gun it runs fine. All three gun's have there negatives and positives. Any of the three will serve you well. Just buy the one you like best and shoot the fire out of it. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: M&P ? Glock? or XD

At the present time I own both M&P 45's as well as several XD 45's. I have also owned all the Glock 45's. Of the Glock's I liked the model 30 the best. I had several Glocks mis fire with Cheap Factory ball ammo. When I called Glock they said it was the cheap ammo. The ammo in question was Rem UMC and WWB. None of my other brand 45's had ever mis fired with this ammo. I think the Glocks are good guns but I lost faith in the striker fired pistols until I tried a XD. I now have several XD"S and none of them have ever misfired. I think the XD may have a little heavier striker spring. I know there is one after market supplier that offer's a slightly heavier striker sprin for the Glock and I understand it works great and affects trigger pull very little. Now the M&P. I like this gun cause it is made in the USA by one of the finest arms maker period. No one offers the customer service that S&W provides. The M&P has the three palm swells which makes the gun fit about anyone. I have two of these and both shoot great. The only real problems is that some of the magazines are a bear to get the 10th round in and then it takes 2 hand to get the mag into the gun. Some mags don't have this problem. Another point of intrest is my second M&P when you put the slide back on the gun it is very snugg on the front 2 rails gun it runs fine. All three gun's have there negatives and positives. Any of the three will serve you well. Just buy the one you like best and shoot the fire out of it. Good luck with your purchase.

Great information. Thank you. I am leaning toward a M&P 45 at the moment.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have owned and shot a Glock 21. I lean toward fatter grips, though I have average size hands. The G21 was a great shooting gun. Even with a grip reduction it was just too big in the grip for me.

I now have a XD 45 Service. This gun fits my hand just fine and is a nice shooting gun, too. I've used it a couple of times for IDPA matches and it handles quite nice. Recoil is a problem for me shooting the XD.

I will be giving the M&P45 a shake down at some point. If it shoots as good as it feels in my hand, I'll be buying one.

I was just thinking...just as recoil bothers some people and not others (or has a different effect on their shooting), gun design has differing effects on each of us as well. I like shooting very different guns (M&P, XD, Glock, 1911) and do about as well with all of them. Some folks find a gun brand/model that they like and they do not venture far from it.

Note that I did NOT state that I was any good with ANY of the them!

·
Registered
130 Posts
In my opinion;

Glock is a fine gun with excellent reputation. I have owned a m21 but not the m21sf. I never had a problem with it except that the grip felt like a bar of soap.

I REALLY liked the XD's when I tried them and at one point owned a 4" 9mm, sc9mm, 4"40, sc40 and a 5"45. All functioned flawless but recoil was a little heavy due to the higher bore axis but still very acceptable.

Then came the M&P 45 and I REALLY, REALLY like it. I have sold my Glock and all my XD's except I gave the 4" 9mm to my son and my sc9mm to my wife although she prefers her new Ruger SR9 for her carry gun. Im a 1911 guy and the M&P 45 w/safety virtually duplicates the feel and is lighter with 2 extra rounds. I will be replacing my XD's I sold with M&P's when the 9mm and 40's come out with the thumb safety option.

MY CHOICE?.....M&P!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
which is better

My first choice is also a 1911. When I first got the XD's my though was they all almost as good as the 1911. I am still warming up to the M&P's. I have two of them anf they have been flawless. As I stated before the are made in the us which is a big plus for me. I really never thought I would like the polymer gun but I am getting pretty fond of them. They offer a very good value. The Glock, XD and M&P all seem to work well. Glock is quick to blam everthing on bad ammo, SF offers good customer service and S&W offers outstanding service. Any one would be well served by any of the three. I hope the M&P really takes off. So far when it comes to after market parts Glock has the market.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Glock also blames limp wristing quite a lot which I think is a crock. Still I really like that 21 FS. I haven't seen any ammo yet my Glocks wouldn't shoot. I think they would shoot a rock if I could stuff it in a barrel. One thing that bothers me about Glock design is the rails. They are tiny and inserted into the plastic on their own unlike the M&P design which embeds the chassis into the receiver and has nice wide rails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts