MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an M&P 22, 9mm, 40 Cal and am considering a 45 Cal to complete the collection. I am interested in hearing the pros and cons to this large of a caliber in an M&P frame. The M&P is considerably lighter than the typical 1911 and not anywhere as nose heavy so I am a little concerned about the M&P 45 usability. Does anyone have input that would help me make a good decision?:huh:

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is mine and I really like it. I can carry it concealed and use it at home. It is no bigger than a 1911 and is way much lighter. I am a Glock guy so for me to say this it has to be good :yes

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Let me tell you its the best gun i own carry it everyday, my thoughts are get the 4.5 non safety model i got the 4" mod and hated it sold it and a year later i traded to a 4.5 and it is my most carred gun now the diff not sure why or what. i now have a total of 7 M&Ps

·
Registered
72 Posts
In my experience both the full and compact size M&Ps are quite nice to shoot in .45. Hoverking has it right - for holstered defensive carry I also prefer the non safety model. I have added the APEX DCAEK to both of mine and really enjoy them!

Personally I find the 4.5 a little tamer than the compact, but the 4" is still far more comfortable to shoot than my S&W Compact Pro 1911 IMHO.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I own a full size M&P 45 and it shoots real well. During the winter it is in rotation with my full size M&P 40. I have no problems with recoil. I used to carry 1911's and the M&P 45 is a joy to carry because of it's weight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow! I am actually surprised over the overwhelming support for the 45 in M&P. I will now admit I have kind of been an enemy of the 45 because, of the recoil and the effects of that with a light pistol in terms of accuracy. Maybe I need to reconsider???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are like me. I have a bank of pistols in my closet. Every morning I decide which one I am going to carry. Heavy pistols in the winter and light in the summer. I really love the M&P. It just fits so well and shoots like a dream.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have no complaints with mine. no issues carrying, recoil not objectionable...

ok. I have one issue. load, remove magazine to top off, when I re-insert full mag, got to really whack on it.

is it a deal breaker? hell no. it's also more of an annoyance than anything.

my 9 and my 40 don't have this issue. only the 45.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I find the .45 very comfortable to shoot. I was a lot happier with mine after trading out the sights and installing an Apex DCAEK. I Gotta agree with jakebrake about inserting a full magazine with the slide closed. It takes a bit of force and I wish it wasn't like that.

BTW, if you get one your collection still won't be complete. You'll still need a .357. :yes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right! I have not found one yet... evidently pretty rare. The good thing is that I won't need extra magazines because the 40 Cal and the 357 are interchangeable.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
wow! I am actually surprised over the overwhelming support for the 45 in M&P. I will now admit I have kind of been an enemy of the 45 because, of the recoil and the effects of that with a light pistol in terms of accuracy. Maybe I need to reconsider???
Where is Blossom, Texas? I would be happy to let you shoot my 9, 40 and 45 full size pistols side by side and let you actually see and feel the difference. I don't think that you will find enough of a recoil difference between the 3 that it will matter much to you. I looked up Blossom. Looks like you are near Paris which is about 4.5 hours from the range in LaGrange that I shoot at.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my M&P 45 full size a few months ago... prior to that my .45 acp pistol line up was comprised of a Colt Series '70 Gold Cup, S&W 4506-1, 4566, 4516-1 (did I mention that I really like S&W's?), and a 945-1.

I once had a Glock 29, but sold it not long after I bought it... did not like the .45 acp in that compact form.

The M&P is very comfortable to shoot, and I believe that is largely due to the great ergonomics of the M&P grip frame and the replaceable back straps.

Recoil is a bit more noticeable, but not as pronounced as what the .40 S&W in my G22 feels like when compared to my S&W 4006. Don't know if that made sense, what I was trying to say is in my comparison of the felt recoil between a poly frame and metal frame pistol for the snappier .40 S&W, the .45 acp in the M&P doesn't feel as bad... to me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have one with the 4 inch barrel and it is great. Excellent balance and very nice to shoot. I has the Apex DCAEK and I kept the factory trigger spring in to reduce the pull weight. The break is similar to that of a 1911.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i bought the 45 a few weeks back, It is the 4.5 FS w Thumb Safety. I didn't desire the safety, But it was all I could find. Sort of settled. Parts for safety removal are ordered.
As for shooting, the accuracy is great. I have multiple 1911's and this shoots just as well as any of them (better than some). about 150 rounds and no failures. Trigger suffers, but I new that going in. Be prepared to polish for a better trigger. Or change parts. I elected to polish (cheap).
Would I buy it again, You Bet.
I found that the recoil impulse on the .40 to be close to equal to the .45.
I sold all my .40 cals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The weekend I got my FS 45 I also fired my brother's 1911. The M&P felt better to me, and perceived recoil was about the same.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Back in 2005-6 when the M&P was new I had a fullsize M&P 45. I was shooting double taps within 2inches of each other @ 7yrds. For what it's worth, I was 140-5 lbs and 5' 7". All in the technique.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts