MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know an update on the eta of the new M&P "Sport"? Seems like the date keeps getting pushed back

Can't wait to get my mitts on one chambered in .40...!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I can't wait either!!!

The last I heard it will be introduced again at SHOT, then begin selling after that.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If they re-introduce the 5" and introduce a M&P45c it will truly be a great SHOT Show for S&W!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ive been thinking about this; if its essentially just a longer slide and barrel; it better give me at last a 1" longer barrel, or Im sticking with what I got.

Better not be none of this 4.5" stuff I heard about a while back.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I hope they do one better and equip a long slide 9mm/.40 S&W with a fiber or TFO front sight that would put them one up on the competition. That would be one less modification to be made to the weapon for competition purposes. Sig is already doing this with their Super Capacity Tactical (SCT) line of P226s and P229s.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
mike cyrwus said:
Ive been thinking about this; if its essentially just a longer slide and barrel; it better give me at last a 1" longer barrel, or Im sticking with what I got.

Better not be none of this 4.5" stuff I heard about a while back.
Not sure how long the barrel can be. remember it has to fit in "The Box". If anyone has a "box" that can drop a M&P in and measure how much clearance there is in the muzzle end we could probably figure it out.

I am hoping for a 5 in with the slide weight the same or lighter than the regular full size. I think keeping the slide light is going to be just as if not more important than the lenght. If it turns out much heavier the trade off in sluggish recoil and inceased muzzle flip may not be worth the longer sight radius.

just my .02

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan Burwell said:
...I am hoping for a 5 in with the slide weight the same or lighter than the regular full size...If it turns out much heavier the trade off in sluggish recoil and inceased muzzle flip may not be worth the longer sight radius.
Good point Dan. Hopefully S&W is on the same page with you on that...

Also, I hope they equip it with a nice, low-profile adjustable rear sight!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Xfactor said:
Good point Dan. Hopefully S&W is on the same page with you on that...

Also, I hope they equip it with a nice, low-profile adjustable rear sight!

I have talked with some of the "right" guys about this, I also know some of their pro shooters have made the same request. Unfortunately S&W is in business to make money so they make what they can manufacture cost effectively and feel they can sell, which is not always what a couple of us want. So now all we can do is wait and see what they make for us.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I too am excited, anyone have a time period when they will be released?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've got a USPSA box and dropped my M&P9 in it. Seems we have about 1+1/8 inch clearance. Looks like a 5" barrel will fit but maybe I should take my box to the gunshop????

·
Registered
26 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I have a grinder and a belt sander.

I can make most any pistol fit. :wink:

It dosn't matter as far as IDPA goes the first time someone beats Bill Wilson with a 5" M&P he will chang the rules Like he did on the steel framed SIG's a couple years ago!

·
Registered
365 Posts
in625shooter

Nope, the gun already has at the Nationals. It has been two years, almost three, since the new rule book came out. If the gun fits in the box and makes weight it will be legal.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
201 Posts
I heard the gun is going to be called the "Pro" model and will have a 4.75" barrel.

I also hope the slide is the same weight, or preferably a little lighter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Pro will only have a 4.75" barrel? I'm not sure it will be worth investing the money for a marginal advantage over the full size....What am I saying??? Of course I'll buy it! Bring it on!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts