MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent it off to Dan last week for some work, and I got it back this Tuesday; one week turnaround, as promised.

Here's what I had done:

Standard trigger job

Well, the Dan Burwell trigger job is as good as everyone says it is... very clean break at about 3.5 lbs from the tip. HUGE improvement! Can't wait to get it to the range for a real test drive...

Mag safety removal

Good riddance to the mag disconnect safety. I know it's an option to get the M&P without it, but I figured it would be easier to remove it that to live with that irritating "Caution: Gun will fire without magazine inserted" disclaimer stamped on my slide...

Front sight installation

I had Speed Shooter Specialties send Dan a F/O front sight that was custom cut (.125" wide x .192" high) to match up with my Warren Tactical rear sight, and give me a 25-yd zero with Atlanta Arms & Ammo 147-gr JHPs. It's a lot taller than the .160" stock front sight, but according to my calculations and testing, it should be spot on now. (Guess I'll find out when I get out to the range!)

Check extractor

I also asked Dan to take a look at the extractor, as I was starting to see some FTEs. I assumed that they were just a result of a dirty extractor claw because when I cleaned that claw really well, it ejected brass without issue for a few hundred rounds... but I asked Dan to take a look at it anyway, just in case. Well, I'm glad I did. What he found in there was a little scary: Apparently the extractor pin was "smashed" into place on the assembly line, and as a result, it was deformed and poorly seated. He removed it and replaced it with a roll pin (the one S&W now uses on the M&P 45s) and also adjusted the extractor angle a couple degrees off 90 for better reliability. Hopefully that'll do it!

I was also planning on getting the grips 'shark' stippled, and the beavertail 'bobtailed', but then I came to my senses, as both of these would be illegal in USPSA Production division... So I guess I'll just slap some grip tape on there and be done with it.

For those that have dealt with Dan, you already know this, but he really is a great guy. Super knowledgeable, of course, but also very accessible. He spent a good amount of time on the phone with me on multiple occasions, patiently answering all of my newbie questions. And he turned the gun around in less than a week!

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's like we have our own "smith" here. A picky detail freak.

Don't get much better than that.

I'm about to send him my .45.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered a previously sharked skinned backstrap from Dan as well... apparently they are legal for USPSA Production, as they are considered an approved aftermarket grip.

Here is the relevant rule in the USPSA handbook:

"21.6 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for

the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape or rubber

sleeves is permitted. Modifications to grips, other than previously

mentioned, not allowed, such as grooves cut to reach mag release

or size reduction."

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xfactor said:
Just ordered a previously sharked skinned backstrap from Dan as well... apparently they are legal for USPSA Production, as they are considered an approved aftermarket grip.
My shark skin grip panel arrived yesterday... the texturing is great! Huge improvement over stock in terms of feel and grip. Dan mentioned that there's a rumor that USPSA may allow grip texturing modifications in general next year... I hope they do, so I can get the front strap shark skinned too!

Nice work Dan!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts