MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just competed in my 2nd USPSA match last weekend... the M&P ran flawlessly! There were 2 guys in my group shooting Glocks, and both of them asked to dry fire my M&P in the safety area... after which they both concluded that they'll be getting one ASAP to replace their Glocks for competition

Overall, it was a pretty good day - I finished 4th in Production class (out of 12), and 12th overall out of 32). Looking forward to the next match already!

Here are a few pics of my M&P 9 - modifications include: Burwell "standard" trigger job (along with mag saftey removal), Warren Tactical rear sight, Speed Shooter Specialties fiber optic front sight (sized for 25-yd zero), tungsten guide rod, ISMI 12# recoil spring, and a Burwell "shark skin" palm swell (plus a little grip tape cut for the front strap, of course).

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
real nice setup and congrats :wink:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm not too good with NJ regs. Is the internal lock mandatory in NJ? If not, why did you choose it, or did you? Nice to hear the Glock guys are interested. I hope you mentioned the trigger job to them so they're not disappointed when they get their factory fresh model.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...

I'm pretty pleased with how the pictures turned out too - I just picked up a pair of softbox light kits that do an amazing job on still life shots, portraits, etc... makes a big difference. (These shots were my pilot tests) That 2nd last one looking through the sights took while to get right!

I did mention that it had Dan Burwell's fantastic $50 standard trigger job; I really think a trigger job is a must-have for most any pistol nowadays.

I also want to get the ~5" sport model for Production competition when it finally comes out... but I'll probably get it in .40 and start loading my own ammo (at a minor PF, of course)

P.S. An internal lock is not mandatory in NJ, but I got the model that had it just for helluvit... I wanted the model that had the mag disconnect anyway (since it's so easy to remove) because I didn't want that irritating warning message stamped into the slide.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mark5pt56 said:
That front sight mod is the ticket, that's what I need to fix my poa/poi woes.
Yeah, getting the POA/POI zero'ed can be tough, but it's well worth the effort. Kenny at Speed Shooters Specialties will build you a custom front f/o sight to the height and width of your choosing... it's very similar to the DP sight, and the cost is about the same (if not a little less). As for figuring out exactly how tall to make the front sight for your desired zero, that's the real trick... I came up with a formula that got me REALLY close to perfect - PM me if you'd like more details.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Great gun, great pics, great work getting the tape to follow the frontstrap lines;

Those are the first good up-close pics Ive seen of Dan's sharkskin, Im glad I havent come close to copying them.

Um, you were running an illegal gun for Production Division; no stippling til Jan '08!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Xfactor said:

Here are a few pics of my M&P 9 - modifications include: Burwell "standard" trigger job (along with mag saftey removal), Warren Tactical rear sight, Speed Shooter Specialties fiber optic front sight (sized for 25-yd zero), tungsten guide rod, ISMI 12# recoil spring, and a Burwell "shark skin" palm swell (plus a little grip tape cut for the front strap, of course).

Congrats Xfactor! What's the weight of the Burwell 'standard' trigger, is it within the Production limit of 5 - 5.5 lbs? Also, what specific kind of grip tape did you use? Not sure these are easily available here. Can you PM me too the height/size of the FO you used (zeroed at 25 yards), and how you zeroed it. Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
mike cyrwus said:
Um, you were running an illegal gun for Production Division; no stippling til Jan '08!

But you can get the Burwell Sharkskin medium grip as an aftermarket item. That way you can swap back and forth for competition. I'm considering getting one so that I can carry with it on and shoot competition without it. I will wait until the 1,000 or so mark before I make any decisions.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
936 Posts
sherpa said:
[quote name='Xfactor']...

Congrats Xfactor! What's the weight of the Burwell 'standard' trigger, is it within the Production limit of 5 - 5.5 lbs? Also, what specific kind of grip tape did you use? Not sure these are easily available here. Can you PM me too the height/size of the FO you used (zeroed at 25 yards), and how you zeroed it. Thanks.
[/quote]

True, true, MI Jester, I shoot my M&P in Limited, though, I aint swapping nothing!

Sherpa,

There is no min. poundage rule, nor will there be one for prod. div. It was proposed, but not adopted. Its was a proposed 3.5#.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mike cyrwus said:
MI_Jester said:
But you can get the Burwell Sharkskin medium grip as an aftermarket item. That way you can swap back and forth for competition.
Actually, because of the fact that the Dan's grip insert matches the dimensions of the OEM insert, and is a aftermarket accessory available from his shop, it is currently legal for USPSA Production (Dan forwarded me an e-mail from John Amidon confirming this). They really are a huge improvement over stock, and I like the feel a lot better than standard skateboard tape (which is what I used for the front strap).

sherpa said:
What's the weight of the Burwell 'standard' trigger, is it within the Production limit of 5 - 5.5 lbs? Also, what specific kind of grip tape did you use? Not sure these are easily available here. Can you PM me too the height/size of the FO you used (zeroed at 25 yards), and how you zeroed it. Thanks.
Dan's "standard" trigger is about 3.5 lbs. At this time, there is no trigger pull minimum in USPSA Production (unlike in non-US IPSC rules, where I believe it's 5 or 5.5 lbs) although they are talking about setting a USPSA minimum at 3 lbs... either way, Dan is aware of this pending change and will keep you in the clear with his 3.5 lb "standard" job

I'll follow-up with another post tomorrow with the formula (and the specific dimensions that worked for me and the ammo I use) to get a zero at a yardage of your choosing.... (I went with 25 because when I looked at the ballistic trajectory, a 25 yd zero yields a pretty flat arc anywhere from point blank range all the way out to 35 or 40 yds.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I see. That's true, the limit for production here is around 5-5.5 lbs.

So that was skateboard tape on the front strap? Will try to find some here.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hey Mr Xfactor.

What type of mag holders are you using there? They look the part and seem like a good bit of kit... 8)

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
Xfactor said:
Actually, because of the fact that the Dan's grip insert matches the dimensions of the OEM insert, and is a aftermarket accessory available from his shop, it is currently legal for USPSA Production (Dan forwarded me an e-mail from John Amidon confirming this). They really are a huge improvement over stock, and I like the feel a lot better than standard skateboard tape (which is what I used for the front strap).

just talked to Dan, there was a misunderstanding by whats meant as a "factory contour" by Amidon.

Long story short; they are still illegal..

we got a month and a half before stippling, any stippling, is allowed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts