MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my M&P 9 this Sunday, and I finally got a chance to sneak off the the range today, so I thought I'd post a full report...

Reliability: Flawless. A little over a hundred rounds (American Eagle 124gr & some 147gr) and not a single glitch. This was to be expected, of course, but still worth noting.

Ergonomics: Excellent. I like the ergonomics of this pistol as much on the range as I did in the store. This is a big part of why I went M&P over the competition (I was also considering the Glock 19 and the Springfield XD). I have big hands, and I could probably make due with the large backstrap, but I think I'm most comfortable with the medium. The grip angle is intuitive for me, coming from SIGs and 1911s.

Sights were good as well, although I will be changing the front out for a Speed Shooter Specialties red F/O sight, and the rear for a Warren Tactical. [I wish someone would come out with a good adjustable rear sight for the M&P sometime soon!]

While I'm not a huge fan of some of S&W's safety features (e.g. manually lowering the sear deactivation lever to field strip, magazine safety) these are minor gripes. [At least the magazine safety is pretty easy to remove by a gunsmith!]

Handling: Very good overall. Recoil control is pretty good for a light pistol, and it seemed to snap back into sight alignment very nicely for me on quick follow-up shots. [I think this will be even better with a heavier guide rod, and maybe a lighter recoil spring.]

The trigger was a bit of a challenge for me, being more accustomed to crisp SA triggers. I like the overall function of the trigger, but for me, 6.5 # is just WAY too heavy. It also was considerably rough - but from what I hear, a good gunsmith can do wonderful things to these triggers for a minimal cost, so I have high hopes that I'll be very happy with it once Dan Burwell has a go at it!

Mag drops and reloads were great... no need for a big flared magwell on the M&P!

Fit & Finish: Could be better. Most parts of the M&P are solid and tight-fitting, but I did find a few minor issues. First off, I could NOT get the tool out of the grip without clamping it in a vise and pulling like hell. [Not sure if it was just my pistol, but I noticed a big burr in the plastic on the handle of the tool that was apparently making it fit very tight. I dremmeled it down flat, and now it goes in/ comes out as I expect it should]

I also noted that the fit of the frame to the slide seems less solid than other pistols - including other polymer framed models. And the slide release lever seems very 'light-duty' Maybe S&W has their reasons for designing the M&P this way, but I prefer the solid feel I get with SIGs and the like... Time will tell if the M&P stands up to thousands and thousands of rounds of punishment the way other great pistols do.

Accuracy: Very good. Definitely happy with the results here. Despite the challenging trigger, I still tore up the center of my paper targets pretty effectively. [I've heard that even though the barrel is only 4.25", the sight radius on the M&P is almost identical to a 1911... Makes me wonder how much better the ~5" model will be - if it ever actually comes out!]

I had some fliers, but I think a good trigger will really help me dial-in the consistency... Here's my target from about 30-35 ft:

Overall, I can say that I'm pleased with my choice to go with the M&P. Being that my intentions with it are for USPSA Production class competition, I definitely want to get some work done on it right away... particularly the trigger, but also the sights, and a few other tweaks. But I think that I'll be very happy with this pistol for a long time.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Good overall report! Also looks like alot of kills....lol

Happy you enjoyed! And the grip tool is a pain the first few attempts but it actually tends to loosen up.

Thanks for the report!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. This is a great forum, so I'm happy to contribute my experiences...

I just ordered a tungsten guide rod, some 11, 13, & 15# springs to play around with, and a new rear sight. Next step is to send it off for a trigger job and mag disconnect removal, and then install an F/O front sight zero'ed in at 25-yds; I'll follow-up with another range report after I get it all dialed-in.

Just curious - has anyone found the trigger to be fine for them without any work, or is it pretty much unanimous that it needs work out of the box?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I may have my triggers worked on

But it will not be because I cannot hit what I aim at

they DO get better with use

They can almost certainly get better with "work"

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much have you noticed that the trigger got better just from shooting a lot to break it in? About how many rounds before you noticed an improvement?

·
Registered
17 Posts
love my mp9

Easy to take a part and put back together,shot about 100 rounds through it so far.I'm lefthanded set up really nice for lefties.I love this pistol.Got shoot about another 400 rounds,sure hope the trigger gets better.I don't really understand it yet,is it the safety feature?This is the first semi I've ever owned.It's double action,if somebody could help me understand it better I would apprecate the help.The shop I bought it from the help didn't know much about it.I couldn't wait for the owner.At least he did know hot to call it in so I could buy it.Thanks all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You did turn the grip tool 90 degrees first before pulling right? I hope you didn't grind off the "burr" that was the lock to keep the tool in. It uses a kind of ward lock type system to keep it in. Turn 90 degrees either way, the tab lines up with the slot, and it should pull right out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bchandler said:
You did turn the grip tool 90 degrees first before pulling right? I hope you didn't grind off the "burr" that was the lock to keep the tool in. It uses a kind of ward lock type system to keep it in. Turn 90 degrees either way, the tab lines up with the slot, and it should pull right out.
My grip tool wouldn't turn... I needed pliers and a vice to get it out.

I'm not suprised the burr was there for a reason, but on my pistol it was just way too tight. (Which is why I gave it a "Could be better" rating in the Fit & Finish department!

At any rate, it's still good and snig - you need to get a solid grip on it and give it a few good twist/pulls to get it out by hand.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't use the grip tool when field stripping mine.

I field strip mine as I would my XD.

That is drop the mag, lock the slide back,flip the takedown lever,check for empty chamber,

release slide and pull trigger to release sear.

Mine does not have the magazine disconnect.

nunnya

1 - 12 of 12 Posts