MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually shoot 1911's, and I picked up a M&P 9.

The trigger pull is heavy, so the front sight jumps at the end of the squeeze.

For me, I notice that with all the plastic pistols, I have to squeeze the trigger closer to my first joint for the front sight not to jump.

For my new M&P I have to go between my two joints for the sight not to jump.

Anyone else experience this?

I tried all three grips but none seem to help the front sight jump at the last minute.

I'm just dry firing the snot out of it prior to shooting focusing on my basics.

After I shoot about 500 rounds I might send it to Dan for a trigger job.

I just can't belive that no matter what with the front sight jumps on me with this pistol unless I pull the trigger between my two finger joints.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Practice with it and it will smooth out. I have never owned a 1911 but see them 2 times a month at my clubs IPSC shoots. The 1911's in use there are not nearly as reliable as my M&P9 or 40. I know they can have very nice triggers but if the rest doesn't work I don't want one. :twisted:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sent my M&P 9mm to Dan Burwell for a trigger job and a fiber optic front sight. It made a huge difference. The trigger is almost like a 2 stage trigger. After a fair amount of take up, the trigger has a very smooth break and reset, with virtually no overtravel. Before the trigger job, I shot at a 6 inch target from 25 yards. I hit it 18 out of 50 times. After the trigger job, I hit 42 out of 50.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you find that the best trigger control for you with this pistol is at the joint, then that is a function of how your hand/finger fit on this gun, combined with that heavy of a trigger.

Hands and guns are all different and 3lbs triggers and 6lbs triggers require different maniplulation.

Not every gun has the trigger at the right position to allow pad of the finger to actuate the trigger.

You can try different grip inserts to change the position of your hand and finger. If you are using a medium, try the large.

You are not alone in this, I have very large hands and use the first joint or close to it on the MP.

In between the 2 joints sounds a bit strange, I only do this with my little J frames.

Also, a trigger job will help this a lot. The heavy trigger causes a good bit of movement when it releases.

Gringop

·
Registered
936 Posts
its the overtravel thats makng the pistols front sights jump, not necessarily the heavy pull.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses.

I took it out and ran 100 rounds through it today.

WOOOOHAAAAA, this thing is great.

at 25 yards I shot out the center of the target.

I noticed that I have the sight flinch/jump in dry fire only. Didn't have the flinch during live fire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts