MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it 13 or 15 pounds? Believe or not, 2 different reps I have spoken to at S&W customer service did NOT know the answer ?!?

I am planning on ordering a non-captured guide rod from Speed Shooters, and I just need to know the factory weight.

Thanks,

The Guinea

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
12 hours and 24 views and no one knows? What gives? All ex employees of S&W customer service?

The Guinea

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jtaliani said:
Check out this link: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=565. If you do a search for recoil spring this has also been discussed in other threads.

I did a search, and did not really come up with an answer. Even in the post you linked to, there is no definitive answer. Just a couple of possibles.

The Guinea

·
Registered
936 Posts
I can definitely tell you the answer you want . Stock on an M&P is 13#.

-I might be wrong, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
olyeller said:
I can definitely tell you the answer you want . Stock on an M&P is 13#.

-I might be wrong, though.

Um......ok? This is not about the answer I "want" but about obtaining the "correct" answer.

You end your post with "I might be wrong". So if you're wrong, how would you think that is the answer I "want"? :roll:

Anyways.........

Now for something really funny. I called S&W again and talked to someone in their actual tech dept. Ready for this? The guy on the phone tells me the recoil spring is 25 POUNDS! Good thing the developers of this pistol know it inside and out huh? I do not even know of a pistol made that has a 25 lbs recoil spring weight.

I guess its gonna come down to buying a couple of springs and seeing what works best/matches closest to stock.

The Guinea

·
Registered
936 Posts
guinea said:
I guess its gonna come down to buying a couple of springs and seeing what works best/matches closest to stock.

There ya go, I knew youd find the right answer! :wink:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
What S&W told me re recoil spring weight:

The customer service "guy" said 16# and that the guide rod is permanently captured.

People in the forum say the end unscrews to change the spring.

HELP "Uncle Don" do you know??

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Try your bathroom scale. Use something that allows you to operate the slide by pressing down on the scale. That will yield the weight required to operate the slide.

:twisted:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Get a 13, 15 & 17# spring, then match it to the ammo you will be using. I use the 17 for defense ammo, and the 15 for range plinking or WWB, and the 13 for my reloads in competition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wolff Gunsprings Website.

Hello, go to the wolff site at: http://www.gunsprings.com under Smith & Wesson Auto pistols, then M&P.

It shows the Factory spring at 16lbs. and have the following offerings:

SMITH & WESSON M&P Series, 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 Sig

RECOIL SPRINGS are available with load-rated specifications to tailor the recoil function to individual needs. Each load-rated recoil spring includes an extra power striker spring.

Note: recoil springs must be used with a solid, non-captive guide rod such as the Wolff guide rod listed below. Spring will not be captive.

Reduced Power.......: 12, 14 and 15 Lb.

Factory Std.............: 16 Lb.

Extra Power.............: 17, 19, 20, 22 and 24 Lb.

Above recoil springs.....Stock No. 532xx.....$ 7.89 ea

Please Note: Replace the "xx" in the stock number with the pound rating of spring.

M&P Recoil Spring Guide Rods

Wolff recoil spring guide rods for M&P series pistols are the ideal companion for Wolff recoil springs above. Guide rods are solid steel, hardened to a minimum of 55-RC and now have a jet black finish that won't wear off and provides corrosion protection. Wolff guide rods provide optimum performance for Wolff recoil springs through better support and spring alignment. Permits you to keep factory recoil assembly intact.

Stock No. 53300 - Guide rod only.....$ 24.95 ea

Stock No. 533xx - Guide rod with recoil spring.....$ 29.95 ea

Please Note: Replace the "xx" in the stock number with the pound rating of spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts