MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 9c and and OWB DeSantis Speed Scabbard. Very happy with both EXCEPT the double-stack 9c and the OWB combination aren't as concealable as I'd hoped on my 5' 6" / 175 lbs frame.

In particular, and to my surprise, the rear of the slide is more of a problem by far than the grip's butt. The rear of the slide prints easily no matter where / how I position the holster.

A jacket solves this problem but in central TX we don't often wear jackets, even during the winter. So my primary concern is being able to conceal this pistol beneath an untucked sport shirt.

Would an IWB holster be a solution??

(Don't want to blow another $75 if the double-stack is the real problem.)

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
OWB will always be more difficult if all you're using is a shirt for a cover garment. I live in California and wear T-Shirts a majority of the time (year round) and I carry in a CTAC which is an IWB holster from a company in your neck of the woods. If you get a good IWB holster I'm sure the problem will be resolved.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Body type makes a big difference in how you conceal, Cap'n. I don't think the problem is that the 9c is double stack. I think it's a combination of a short-barreled pistol, in a high-ride owb holster, worn by some one with a stocky frame. Some holster makers, like Brigade, make their iwb holsters for short-barreled pistols a little longer so that the hip pushes the grip and slide closer to the body (check out the M11 holster for the CZ75, http://www.brigadegunleather.com/m-11.html).

I've got a 9c and found the same problem with the back of the slide printing depending on where I wore the holster. My FIST #8 (owb slide) I wear between 2 and 3 o'clock without it printing. I sprung for a UBG Canute (iwb), with a 20 deg. cant, and wear it around 3:00 with no problem. Since I'm in South Florida and will wear a loose sport shirt and jeans most of the time, the Canute gets the majority of wear.

If you like UBG products, I'd recommend contacting Nate, tell him what problems you're experiencing, and see what he says. I'm sure any other custom holster maker would provide you with the same service.

Jim

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The Speed Scabbard in particular pushes the front (top rear edge) of the gun out a bit. It's really intended for either a heavier concealment garment or a very permissive environment (for example, plainclothes police who don't need to worry about printing) as opposed to the typical CCW citizen or undercover officer. Also, without seeing the holster on you, it's hard to tell whether the printing you're seeing is obvious or just something you see because you know exactly where to look and what's underneath your clothes. One good step is to ask friends if they can tell you're carrying.

Body size and shape will also play a role, as will the particular location of the holster on your belt. The Speed Scabbard has a pretty substantial forward cant, so if you have the forward edge of the gun at a curving point of your belt line it is more likely to print.

If you want to stick with OWB carry, choose different cover garments; this is easy and for many people will be a necessity. Also, try some other holsters to see if something fits more snug to your body. But concealed carry, and OWB carry in particular, means adapting to a new set of rules when it comes to dress, behavior, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tailrotor / Jim, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'll be calling Nate @ UBG Holsters. The IWB Striker I he made for my Bersa Thunder 380 Concealed Carry is a real joy.

I would have gone to Nate first thing when getting the 9c, but I needed a holster ASAP. Haste makes waste!

Thanks to others, too, for their comments.

·
Registered
366 Posts
One other thing, Cap'n. I noticed on Nate's product page that he has a picture of a Canute with a closed bottom. The extra leather on the bottom might help to push the slide closer. If I'd have thought about it, I probably would have ordered the closed bottom. The only downside would be the extra leather when you sit down.

Just something to think about if you talk to Nate. Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
159 Posts
i have similar problems with my other holsters but now i'm using a uncle mikes inside pants holster with my 40c. I don't have any problems even if i'm just wearing a t shirt. If i'm going with a jacket or coat i might use my fobus evolution but 80% of the time its the uncle mikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
M4arc has a Milt Sparks VMII for his carry piece and it works well. In the summer, I will use the appendix carry. It's effective and the best if seated alot(speed). I prefer leather for IWB.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am about the same height and 165 lbs. I use a generic Uncle Mike's nylon IWB holster...no one can tell I'm carrying. I've never carried OWB but trust me the MP9c has no concealability issues when an IWB holster is used.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Cap'n I hope this helps. I am a Correctional Officer and have been for 12 years. I have worked in Law Enforcement for 16 years. Part of my job is to constantly look people "up and down" for signs of concealed weapons. As a matter of habit I scan people for signs of weapons. When I started to carry a concealed weapon I started looking EXTRA hard to try to make others carrying weapons. Honestly, I have rarely ever noticed anyone carrying. I really don't think the average person would notice if you open carried much less carried concealed. MOST people have a bulge now. Look around and see how many people have cellphones on their belts. Just because your slide is printing a touch doesn't mean anyone is going to notice. A good sturdy holster like the C-Tac suggested above will help also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gentlemen (and ladies if present), you've convinced me IWB is the way to go with the 9c.

I've ordered a Canute holster from Nate at www.UBGholsters.com.

Really (!) appreciate the fast & helpful input from all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cap'n said:
Gentlemen (and ladies if present), you've convinced me IWB is the way to go with the 9c.

I've ordered a Canute holster from Nate at www.UBGholsters.com.

Really (!) appreciate the fast & helpful input from all.
I also have one of these holsters. It is detail molded right down to a reverse impression of the slide serrations on the inside of the body shield. I would put this work up against anyone's, and could have paid $20 more and still been happy. (Don't tell anyone. :wink: ) Really, though, almost any IWB will conceal more easily than your current setup.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Get yourself a good quality IWB holster like a Milt Sparks Versa Max II or a CTAC like the others suggested. I'm only 5'5" and 130lbs and I can conceal my full size M&P with a t-shirt and either a pull over or a button down (non-tuckable) shirt over it. I can conceal a compact with only a medium t-shirt or a medium polo style shirt.

It's not the double stack, it's your holster selection. Oh and get yourself a good belt as well.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
mark5pt56 said:
M4arc has a Milt Sparks VMII for his carry piece and it works well. In the summer, I will use the appendix carry. It's effective and the best if seated alot(speed). I prefer leather for IWB.

I only have a VMII for my Glocks at this moment. I've been carrying my M&P in a CTAC but I do plan to get a VMII for my M&P as well. I just need to determine if I want to order one for a full size or a compact.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am 5'10" 190lbs. I am waiting on a custom leather, but have a high-noon, bare asset iwb holster until my custom arrives. The bare asset is glove leather so it's pretty thin, it was in stock, and best of all, cheap! I actually find thi little holster hides my 9c quite well. I am waiting on my ubg, and if that doesn't work, then a ctac is next on my list, but until you find the perfect holster, consider the bare asset as a cheap temporary holster. I actually really like the little thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
m4arc said:
[quote name='mark5pt56']M4arc has a Milt Sparks VMII for his carry piece and it works well. In the summer, I will use the appendix carry. It's effective and the best if seated alot(speed). I prefer leather for IWB.

I only have a VMII for my Glocks at this moment. I've been carrying my M&P in a CTAC but I do plan to get a VMII for my M&P as well. I just need to determine if I want to order one for a full size or a compact.[/quote]

Compact--I think I'll pick up a IWB for appendix carry when I get the 9c.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 40c that I just bought a few weeks ago. I am carrying that as an off duty gun in AKER IWB (with thumb break) or a desantis apache ankle rig. No problems with concealment from either.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Cap'n, that's not really a big issue. I have the same rig as you, and I've worn it out without getting noticed at all, many times. I've made the point before that people don't want to believe that you're carrying a weapon, and they therefore psyche themselves out, believing it's just a PDA or Blackberry, iPhone, etc. You may be surprised even when you're open carrying as to how many people never notice you've got a pistol on your hip.

If you do need deeper concealability, however, IWB is the way to go. It will press the slide & grips closer toward your body and cause less printing. I have a Canute by Ugly Bald Guy Holsters, a custom black leather holster. It's a high quality IWB made by an ex-Marine. Google his website if you're interested, but be prepared to wait 6-8 weeks for his order. Paypal is also your friend in this case.

I don't have any pictures at the moment, or I'd share. I should have some after Turkey Day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts