MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The word on Glocktalk is that S&W has a 5 inch barrel M&P 9mm at SHOT.


I hope it's true. :!: :!: :!:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
339 Posts
It is true. It is a 5 inch gun with straight cocking serrations of the traditional style but other than that it's just the same gun with a five inch slide. It feels good. by the way I am supposed to shoot the M&P 45 tomorrow I'll give all a report. CHECK 360 David Bowie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
Yep, the 5in versions are supposed to be called the pro series. The 9mm they had at SHOT looked like it should be a winner, the slide as Mr Bowie mentioned has more traditional serrations and the slide "scallop" that runs just behind the ejection port is a good bit deeper to keep the slide weight the same as the regular M&P. Should be a winner for the competition guys or anyone that like a longer sight radius.



I got to meet Mr. Bowie today at the range and we got to shoot the 45 with full power ranger sxts the recoil felt like my IDPA CDP reloads, so I cannot wait to get one in and try some of my loads on it should be a great CDP or L-10 gun. I am sure Mr. Bowie will give us a better range report.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
The word on Glocktalk is that S&W has a 5 inch barrel M&P 9mm at SHOT.


I hope it's true. :!: :!: :!:


It's Twwo, it's Twwo





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
That's the one. I thought that the trigger was better than the standard model, the reset felt more positive and pull was slightly lighter. The rear sight kinda sits high above the slide, I guess to offset the high fiber optic front, or is it vice versa? I wonder if it even accept the aftermarket sights now available from folks such as Dan Burwell and Hilton Yam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Ricky T said:
That's the one. I thought that the trigger was better than the standard model, the reset felt more positive and pull was slightly lighter. The rear sight kinda sits high above the slide, I guess to offset the high fiber optic front, or is it vice versa? I wonder if it even accept the aftermarket sights now available from folks such as Dan Burwell and Hilton Yam.


This gun has a Performance Center Slide, I have a feeling that this is not going to be the same alide as the Production gun!!





Y
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Wow, slide lines remind me of the browning high power!



I hope the production model has the fine lines of the original M&P, I really like the scalloped rear over plain jane straight serrations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Looks nice with the conventional serrations and re-shaped slide, though one of the things I liked about the original was the non-traditional style. It will be a Glock 34 killer for SSP...at least if Smith or somebody can get some cheaper mags out there. It's one thing to have them that high for CC or the normal owners, but competitors who want 10 or so mags aren't going to like the pinch.

EDIT/ADD: The more I look at this, the more "busy" the front end looks. I'd like to see how it would look without the serrations up front. And the popular Bomar/FO sight set up. I'm not sure they are necessary for press checks with the slide shape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
Wow, slide lines remind me of the browning high power!



I hope the production model has the fine lines of the original M&P, I really like the scalloped rear over plain jane straight serrations.


+1. I don't see much of a need for the front serrations either with the shape of the M&P slide. I think the Production model should retain the scallops and get rid of the high profile sights. Sights like that always seem out of place to me on a combat-type handgun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
WOW! That's a sweet pistol.

I wish they all looked like this 9mm Pro. I sure wish they would leave the model off the slide/frame and leave it on the barrel. I don't want a 9mm for duty, but wish I could convert a 40 to 9mm.
Regardless, the M&P is gaining some ground with LEO. We need to see how it will handle in a torture test. This would gain some respect for the M&P in LEO circles. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Has anyone heard any specifics on the shipping date for this beauty? I've got a M&P9 standard on order planned for double duty (IDPA SSP and USPSA Production) replacing a Glock 34, but I'd far prefer a 5" gun to the commander length M&P9 standard available now.



I for one LOVE the look of the original slide though and would prefer to see it continue in the Pro series, but the reduced weight has a definite advantage for the 9mm ssp/production competitor. I too like the forward serrations for doing an "under the slide" press check (part of my load and make ready sequence at every stage) but I'd like to see them mimic the scalloped serrations they use at the rear of the slide instead of the straight ones. There is a lot to be said for subtle beauty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Morphire said:
Has anyone heard any specifics on the shipping date for this beauty? I've got a M&P9 standard on order planned for double duty (IDPA SSP and USPSA Production) replacing a Glock 34, but I'd far prefer a 5" gun to the commander length M&P9 standard available now.



I for one LOVE the look of the original slide though and would prefer to see it continue in the Pro series, but the reduced weight has a definite advantage for the 9mm ssp/production competitor. I to like the forward serrations for doing and under the slide press check (part of my loading sequence at every stage) but I'd like to see them mimic the scalloped serrations they use at the rear of the slide instead of the straight ones. There is a lot to be said for subtle beauty.


This is just a Performance Center Prototype!!



I'm willing to bet that the Final Production Version will look more like the Normal M&P!!



That's all I can say now!! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
give it the cocking serrations like the new .45 M&P and I'd be even happier. Make it a full length dust cover, to match the slide, and it would be even sexier!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Realx YSUED. I'm just stating my preferences is all. We all have some image in mind of what our perfect weapon would look like, Mine is a game platform for IDPA and USPSA shooting so my preferences run that way. This particular pistol seems to be geared for that specific line of sporting events much like the G34 and G35. You notice that the G34/5 both come with a large hole in the top of the slide to reduce weight. I'd love for S&W to be able to do the same and still keep the beautiful lines of the standard and compact pistol in tact. If not then I'll take a superior platform to a superior beauty.



Right now I'm still trying to get an idea when they are planning on introducing these pro series pistols. Trying to figure out if I wait for it or go ahead and make the plunge on the standard for now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Slavex said:
give it the cocking serrations like the new .45 M&P and I'd be even happier. Make it a full length dust cover, to match the slide, and it would be even sexier!


A full length dust cover may run counter to the rules of IDPA and USPSA. I suspect this pistol is designed to sell to that crowd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Morphire said:
I'd love for S&W to be able to do the same and still keep the beautiful lines of the standard and compact pistol in tact. If not then I'll take a superior platform to a superior beauty.



Right now I'm still trying to get an idea when they are planning on introducing these pro series pistols. Trying to figure out if I wait for it or go ahead and make the plunge on the standard for now...


Jeez... I guess I never considered a plastic pistol in the asthetic sense. I am more concerned whether it works well or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
JohnN said:
Jeez... I guess I never considered a plastic pistol in the aesthetic sense. I am more concerned whether it works well or not.


The M&P is the first of the plastic fantastic that I actually thought had a compelling visual argument. The XD reminds me of design done by committee and the Glock is so long in the tooth now as to feel a little too dated. It isn't a bad thing that some guns are sexy, right? =]
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top