MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, newbie to the forums here and I have a few questions about M&P pistols.

Does anyone have a M&P 9mm compact? My wife is looking for a handgun and has narrowed her selection to either the M&P or a Sig P239. She likes the M&P better, but has yet to shoot either.

I am looking for comments from those who have experience with the M&P and hoping to find out answers to these questions.

1) Are there any known problems with the M&P? (feed issues, etc.)

2) What's the recoil like (my wife is very recoil sensitive)?

3) How would you compare it to the Sig P239?

Thanks for the advice! I will forward to your responses.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have yet to shoot either, but the Sig is going to have better recoil control because its a heavier gun. She may also like the feel of all metal. The M&P has a higher capacity so that is a plus. For its size, the Sig should have at least ten rounds. I think it comes down to which one feels good in her hand and which trigger she likes. The Sig can be had in SA/DA or the DAK. She may not like the DA/SA transition and prefer the constant pull of the M&P. Both are very reliable.

·
Registered
223 Posts
For what it is worth

I have the Sig and M&Pc in 40s&w, and the M&Pc is getting a lot more range time then the 239. Both have snappy recoil, but the M&Pc holds more ammo and feels better in my hand. I think the M&Pc is the better CCW gun. I do like the decocker on the Sig though. My wife doesn’t really care for either one and chooses a Taurus 605 and H&K USPc.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Welcome!

Unfortunately I have yet to fire the P239 but the MPc is a great shooter. We have had 100% reliability with it thus far. As far as recoil, it is my fiance's primary weapon and she loves it. I might add that she is a very small girl. It is really quite a soft shooter and reasonably priced. Like I said, I can't speak for the P239 but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife liked shooting the P239 but ended up with the M&P9c because it seemed like a better carry option for her. The P239 just seemed too bulky and heavy for her. She also preferred the higher capacity of the M&P.

Sigs are very nice guns, and we seriously considered getting one based on the way it shot. I just don't think that the models that SIG makes are well suited to concealed carry because they're either big and heavy or else lack in capacity. None of them seems to have the right balance of features. If they did, we'd probably have at least one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ive got a P239 and I found it to be way too bulky and heavy for its size and mag capacity. As much as I love my Sigs I would go for the MPc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the information thus far. I had a question for INTP, between the Sig and the M&P, which gun did your wife find to have the easiest recoil? Is there much difference between the two? Thanks.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Trekker,

I have a fullsize MP9, so it won't be a direct comparison, but I've shot several different SIGs including the 225 which was the predecessor to the 239. I have smallish sized hands and while the Sig is definitely a great gun the M&P is WAY more comfortable to shoot in my opinion. And I'd have to agree that more rounds are always better and with the MP9c you get twelve rounds VS. 8 in a 239.

I'd have to disagree with moshooter about the felt recoil. Even though the Sig is heavier, based on how my fullsize MP9 shoots i think the grip shape, how low the pistol sits in the hand, and the slight flex of the polymer frame tilts the scale toward M&P.

At the range last week i shot my new M&P, my dad's SIG 228, and his new 229DAK (357sig). I did like the new DAK trigger, it feels like a really slick Colt revolver, but the SIGs just felt bulky and awkward to me after the M&P.

Anyway, just my $.02

AND, the SIGs will make you dig a LOT deeper into your pocket! But, my biases aside, they're great guns. I've been shooting my father's sigs for years and have NEVER seen one malfunction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Sig ROCKS. But heavier and a bit more bulky...M&P will be easier to carry concealed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sig p239 and M&Pc9

I have one of each and can say that I more reliably carry the M&Pc. I bought a p239 SAS (with DAK trigger) and LOVE it. It is a beautiful, accurate, reliable firearm. The problem is, it's heavier than the M&Pc. It's a single stack (so fewer rounds) but is bulkier and a great deal heavier than the M&Pc. I admit, it's only a few ounces, but in a chest pocket holster (in my jacket) or IWB (and presumably in a purse or elsewhere) the additional weight is a problem.

I would recommend shooting each and making a decision based on the non-aesthetic aspects (rather than the Sig's good looks). Keeping in mind that the additional weight makes habitual carry less likely. The additional weight reduces recoil, but with 9mm, it's not too significant with either gun.

js

·
Registered
7 Posts
Biggest recommendation: Go shoot both and see which one she likes best.

I have a P239-40 and just shoot the 40c... I'm now thinking about selling my P239-40, but either way i will be buying a 40c very soon. I think the 40c feels better in my hand and I know I shoot it better then the P239, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with my P239.... not one FTF or FTE EVER!!! I don't know if it will replace my Glock G23C, but it might give it a run for it's money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I own both of them in 9mm. They are both great guns with their own pros. and cons. depending on what you're looking for.

They are both very close to the same size, and when fully loaded feel about the same weight.

I just shot both of them side by side today for comparison so if you have any specific questions pleae let me know.

I'm still debating which to carry when I get my permit.

I'm more accurate with the Sig and It's been flawless for 1200 rounds.

I like the feel and capacity of the M&Pc but need to put more though it to feel confident.

Hope this helps.

What is your wife's intended purpose for the gun? Carry, Range, Home defense,?

If it's for range and home defense(not carry) adding Houge finger groove grips to the Sig makes a huge difference if she doesn't like th efactory grips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife will be using the gun mostly for carry, but it will also be used for all other defensive situations (home, car, etc.). The primary purpose will not be as a range gun, but it will be used at the range to build proficiency.

At first, I followed everyone's advice that said buy a .38 snubby (luckily we tried it first). The recoil was way too snappy for my wife. I'll admit that I was surprised to find out the .38's recoil was MUCH worse that my 10mm with hot loads (believe it or not). My wife went home with a serious bruise after only a few rounds and a determination to never shoot a .38 again
!

That's what brings me to this search, I have narrowed our next option down to either a .380 or a 9mm. The .380 is the smallest caliber that I will consider. Having shot neither in the past, I am under the impression that the difference in recoil between the two is minor, which is leading me towards a 9mm for the better ballistic performance.

That being said, we have been to numerous gun shops and have held just about every smaller .380 or 9mm that we can find. During which time, we were looking for the gun that was the easiest to rack (my wife has difficulty here as well), that fit her hand and that was more compact in size and lighter in weight.

Out of all the guns that she has held, the Beretta 92F compact was the easiest to rack by far, but it was too heavy. Other than the Beretta, my wife narrowed her choices to the Sig and the M&P. Out of the two, she likes the M&P the best. However, we have yet to shoot either. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

We know the M&P fits her hand the best, we just don't know what the recoil is like. A local range has the P239 for rent (which we intend to try out in the near future), but they do not have the M&P.

So in order to conclude, I guess my question was two-fold at first. I wanted to know about the reliability of the M&P (which seems to have been answered) and I wanted to know which gun had the lightest recoil. Ultimately, I know that it will come down to finding an M&P and a Sig and shooting both, but I was hoping someone who had done so might be able to provide their impressions.

Eichen323, having shot both recently, what do you think?

Anyway, that's where I stand. Thanks again for all the advice. Everyone has helped a lot.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Trekker,

Have you looked at the Kahr line of pistols?? I was just talking to another forum member (repeatdefender) about his Kahr P9 and he had nothing but good things to say. I've handled a couple at a gun show and they sure are thin and light.

Just another idea to throw out there...

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Sig has a lighter recoil but the difference is minnimal between the 2. Neither come evern close to a .38 snubbie. My Sigs slide is easier to rack, but it has also had about 600 more rounds though it. I am personally more accurate with the Sig because I'm not used to the M&Pc trigger yet. For defensive purposes I'm very comfortable with both.

For her purposes if she can rack the slide, I'd honestly say that the M&Pc is probibly the better fit. I love both guns, but the benefits of the M&P surpass the Sig. It carries 4 more rounds, is lighter weight, changeable backstraps, and costs about $200-$300 less.

If she likes the Sig she should like the M&P

I'd stay away form the .380. In my experience the blowback breech design seem to have as much if not more recoil as a normal 9mm.

As far as Kahr goes. I respect their innovation and would love to try one someday, but they have had spotty reviews with their polymer line. Specificly the micro line(PM9 & PM40) For the price that they are going for I'd pass.

Just to throw one more into the mix. Has she handled any CZ's? If not you may want to look at CZ-75 compact or CZ-PO1. They are very well made and might be the best bang for the buck (no pun intended) Just a thought.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was wasting more ammo learning my Sig P239 40 the other day, can't hit for a day'um with it. Then I took out the rental MP40 at the range and chewed out the middle of a target with it. Now I know its just the gun and not me! My first time shooting the MP, I'd fondled it a couple times before. I will be getting one if they come out with a compact WITH and external safety switch like the new MP45.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you shoot with your thumbs high on the pistol you may have the same problem I did with my 239. The slide would not lock back after the last round do to my thumb riding the slide release.

Techguy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have not tried a CZ at all. In all honesty, I was concerned about their reliability from what I had heard in the past.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts