MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to purchase a new CCW and I narrowed my list down to either the S&W M&P 9mm Compact or the Springfield XD9. I've read all the review and plan to make my final decision based on the "touch & feel" method at this week's Oregon Gun Show. However, I thought I would ask this forum for last minute inputs/thoughts.

If this topic has already been covered by another post if you can point me to it that would be helpful.

THANK YOU!

Note: I've tried to months now to shoot both guns prior to purchase but it hasn't worked out so I plan to purchase without actual firing either unit.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Both are good choices. I had a set of XD's but they didn't fit my hand quite like the M&P's so I switched. Your hand is undoubtedly different so you need to try both before deciding. IMHO

:twisted:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried carrying the XD sub 9 for a while but it always felt slide heavy to me. It was however one of the most accurate mini 9 semi's I've ever shot. The heavier slide just felt a little awkward to me during rapid fire. You will probaly want to purchase a pinky extension mag base pad also if you get it.

The M&P compact is more comportable to shoot for me, although it is a little bigger (half inch longer and quart inch taller). It's also plenty accurate. I use the full size M&P for competition and tansitioning to the compact is pretty seemless if using the pinky extention mag.

Both guns are about as thick as a Glock in the slide, so I usually end up using my Kahr PM9 for "everyday dont have to think about it" carry. With 14 to 21 rounds of corbon dpx (1 or 2 spare mags), i dont feel undergunned. However, if concealment is easier for you (I'm a little thick in the waiste), either weapon will be a reliable, accurate shooter.

Have fun and shoot safe!!!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The M&P is easier to work on yourself, the XD is easier to get parts for currently. Parts availability will get much better quickly on the M&P though. Try them out and then make your decision the M&P

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And of particular importance is which one has a better trigger. Better defined as: Smoother, around 6 lbs. and normal travel length, not burdened by an excessive travel.

Also, are both these DAO (I believe Springfield calls it by another name)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I traded in my XD9 subcompact as the safety on the trigger would raise a blister on my index finger. I also lurked on the XD forums and didn't like the reports I was reading on the issues people were having with the extractor on the XD.

I have an M&P9c and so far I like it - the trigger doesn't have that annoying safety like the Glock and XD!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have both the XD 40C and the M&P 40C, and I like both more than the Glock. However, I prefer to carry my M&P because it fits me better, and it's easier to carry. In my opinion, the XD is a little thicker and doesn't fit me like the M&P. Regardless, you need to buy the pistol that fits you better. They are both reliable, but the XD has ALOT of safeties.

The way I see, either way you go, you can't go wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
M&P9c vs XD

I fired them both on Tuesday. Also fired the XD 4" and the Sig 239.

I came home and ordered an M&P9c from Bud's

I really did like the Sig, but it was more than 60% higher and the new Sig 250c will be out soon.

The M&P9c was more accurate than the XD sub for me and the pinky extension made for a better fit for my hand.

Karl G

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was choosing between those two as well. I have an XD 4" and love it. I ended up with the MP as of yesterday! Can't wait to get out and shoot it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EXCELLENT XD9 Subcompact ARTICLE at Officer.Com from their Law Enforcement Technology Evaluation Team…

“The off-duty firearm needs to be a deliberate consideration. Law Enforcement Technology tested the Springfield Armory's XD9 Subcompact and found that it exceeds this standard.”…..You can view the article here…

Springfield’s XD9 Subcompact

http://www.officer.com/print/Law-Enforceme...compact/1$31772

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After narrowing down my choices based on a criterion list which highlighted my needs and requirements I purchased the Springfield XD9 this past Saturday. Although it came down to M&P 9mm Compact and the Springfield XD9 the XD9's trigger and the fact it "fit like a glove" in my hand tipped the scale. My choice in no way diminishes the M&P it truly is a fine firearm!

We’re fortunate to have so many great firearms to select from...Gun Mfgr's are making some awesome guns and giving us more choices than ever!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
It might be wise to consider the possibility of experiencing some of the problems some owners of the new M&P design have had - most notably mag drop problems, not to mention a few others. The M&P is a brand new design and it's not unexpected that some design problems would surface during the first couple of years of heavy marketplace use. Many M&P owners haven't experienced any problems, and you may not either, but a number of us have (enough to warrant some concern) and without permanent solution as yet. I had renewed "high hopes" several times when my M&P was returned to me by S&W after "repairs" (mag catch replacement).... only to find that the fixes were not long lasting.

Of course, no gun line is immune from having problems, but if you want or especially if you NEED a greater assurance of trouble-free reliability, you might want to consider one of the well-established, time-proven gun designs like the Glock, HK, SIG, or Beretta models. The XD is a little more proven than the M&P, but it too is fairly new and has had a number of issues.

The M&P has a great feel in the hand and a nice, soft-shooting quality... a lot of great potential, but honestly, I believe the M&P design needs some tweaking to cement its long term reliability as a defense gun. Check back in a year or two and I would think (hope) the M&P design will have been revised and truly be ready for "prime time".

·
Registered
405 Posts
rather have DAO instead of SAO..plus it's not so bulky, and doesn't rust like crazy ect as the XD's do...and SW customer service is 10,000x better from everythign I read.

·
Registered
414 Posts
MTech... I can attest to S&W's customer service being awesome. I've had to use them a LOT. They respond quickly, pay for shipping both ways... try hard! But customer service isn't the "end all".... I'm still waiting (after 3 trips back to S&W) for a new gun or a gun which is permanently fixed. Huge plus for customer service, but ya know what I rely on for daily carry? Not my M&P. Mags want to fall out of it waaaay too easily. I can trust my Glocks and my 1911's for carry duty, however.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MTech said:
rather have DAO instead of SAO..plus it's not so bulky, and doesn't rust like crazy ect as the XD's do...and SW customer service is 10,000x better from everything I read.

One correction, XD9 do NOT "rust like crazy" at least not since Springfield changed the coating material and by all account cured the problem.

As far as DAO vs. SAQ I COMPLETELY understand the point...In fact, I carried ONLY DAO for years and only recently willing to go with SAQ after talking with professionals (Cops at my local range) they're input was the SAQ on the Springfield has ample take up travel and give the two safeties one of which is on the trigger makes it a save CCW....As the article points out, Exceeds Police standards…..

·
Registered
158 Posts
I do not like the XD because it feels top heavy and i don't like the grip safety and they still rust easily esp the controls...I much preffer MP and Glocks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
STi said:
they still rust easily esp the controls...I much preffer MP and Glocks!

Do you have some data behind that? So far, the XD blogs, a call to Springfield and at least two articles I read say that's no longer an issue. Data please.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In all the time I spent on the XD group, it didn't seem like rusting was really that big of a problem. With the new finsish, I imagine it would be even less so.

I have an XD40SC with probably 5,000 rounds through it and never had a rusting problem. Part of this is probably due to the fact that I live in a dry climate. My XD is for sale on consignment as I type this. I like my new M&P 9mm much better. My XD never let me down and is a well built gun. The M&P's feel in the hand is much better and I think the trigger will be better with some wear-in and/or tinkering.

rjs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts